Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:02:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Times you've just gone "mate" - cinema edition

Started by madhair60, April 25, 2017, 11:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 29, 2017, 04:23:38 PM

Mate. Even in 1974 this effect was appalling. Yaphet Kotto hated the film and particularly hated his character's exit.

Yeah, I can remember watching this as a kid and thinking it looked fucking terrible.

Glebe

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 29, 2017, 11:41:20 AMJohnny Depp's sudden "wacky" dance in that fuck-bad Tim Burton go at Alice In Wonderland

Depp's past decade can be summed up in that one scene

Oh fuck me, spot on, Custard. That was the rotten cherry on a particularly shitty cake of a film.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 29, 2017, 04:23:38 PM

Bad Manners: The Early Years.

madhair60

Cunt in the bathtub in Seven Pounds weeping as he lowers a jellyfish into the soup with him.

Entire audience at the same time going "mate"

Shit Good Nose

kalowski

Quote from: Chriddof on April 27, 2017, 11:06:01 AM

My own nomination (though it was only in the extended TV edit) is this bewildering moment from Superman III, a film already filled with bewildering moments (but not as many as The Quest For Peace).
At least I now know how to spell Superman in Greek.

My 'mate' moment from Superman 3 is when Richard Pryor types 'List' into the computer and everyone treats him like some sort of computing wizard. "Mate, he typed 'List'."

Dr Syntax Head

The engine lifting scene in Fury Road. I love that film so much but I have to just end it before that.

The end of that Batman film with Bruce Wayne's new pal going back to his old orphanage and discovering his real name is Robin.

"Mate."

Golden E. Pump

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 26, 2017, 11:09:31 PM
Every time James McAvoy is on screen in Split.

I saw Filth the other night and I was thinking if I could be an actor I only want to ever play fucked up parts like that

Dr Syntax Head

I've said it too many times now but the last few moments of Fury Road

In Wolf Creek, when the killer gets shot in the neck, but then is fine moments later.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Glebe on April 28, 2017, 01:12:31 PM
Spielberg's otherwise-fine War of the Worlds...

tom cruise, shortest man in hollywood, has a fight with tim robbins, the tallest, in a basement.

fuck's sake, mate.

the last 20 minutes or so of Signs.  It's a toss-up which bit is the worse offence; the unfolding sequence where a series of coincidences make lots of things in place to defeat the alien in the kitchen (including a flashback to his wife giving him a bit of advice in her dying moments, and some others.  Excuse me not Googling.) or the dramatic revelation that the aliens turn out to be horribly allergic to water, making their choice to visit Earth utterly inexplicable.  Mate.

Chriddof

I suppose the ending of Beyond The Black Rainbow would count as a "mate" moment for a lot of people, though when I saw it it made me laugh like a twat after the disappointment of a slow eerie weird-out turning into a cheap slasher for the last bit of the film.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on May 02, 2018, 09:38:08 PM
the last 20 minutes or so of Signs.  It's a toss-up which bit is the worse offence; the unfolding sequence where a series of coincidences make lots of things in place to defeat the alien in the kitchen (including a flashback to his wife giving him a bit of advice in her dying moments, and some others.  Excuse me not Googling.) or the dramatic revelation that the aliens turn out to be horribly allergic to water, making their choice to visit Earth utterly inexplicable.  Mate.

I've always wanted to write a horror film where the aliens can only be killed by human blood, leading to people slashing their wrists open in a desperate bid to stay alive. Even wrote it up as a short story, but the hero died very early on and it ran out of steam after that.

Fry

The end of 'Click', the dreadful Adam Sandler film. Actually had an "it was all a dream" ending and no, no spoiler warning the piece of shit doesn't deserve it. Let out an involuntary "FUCK OFF" in the cinema when that happened.

Replies From View

That bit of The Wizard of Oz when it goes Technicolor, as if to whinge that black and white isn't good enough for them.  Then a load of obnoxious songs cut in and none of it lets up for about seven years.

MATE.

Sgt. Duckie

Kelvin

I've moaned about it loads of times on here, but the moment when Starlord leaps towards the infinity stone in the first GOTG film and sees his dead mum floating towards him through space. On her literal death bed.

Mate.

Close behind that is the scene right at the start of the film when kid Starlord rejects his dying mother's hand, looks away for a fraction of a second, then looks back and she's flatlined.

Fucking mate. 

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Fry on May 04, 2018, 02:25:59 PM
The end of 'Click', the dreadful Adam Sandler film. Actually had an "it was all a dream" ending and no, no spoiler warning the piece of shit doesn't deserve it. Let out an involuntary "FUCK OFF" in the cinema when that happened.
Good movie

phantom_power

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on May 02, 2018, 09:38:08 PM

This criticism has always annoyed me. If they had never come across water before they wouldn't know it was dangerous

Thomas

In Jurassic World, the psychopathic, intelligent, and opposably thumbed new hybrid dinosaur appears to have vanished from its enclosure, and - rather than simply checking the system for the signal from its tracking device, as anyone would immediately do - multiple human men stride into the enclosure to wonder aloud about where it went. Mates.

Only then is the system checked and the obvious confirmed. The ensuing chaos enables an unnecessary blockbuster and two followups.

Z

Most recently, the Baby bump reveal in A Quiet Place, just totally at odds with the landscape and any sense of logic that would undoubtedly be needed.

Kelvin

Also from Jurassic World, the moment when all the pterasaurs are attacking the hundreds of park users, and Chris Pratt kisses Bryce Dallas Howard like it's Casablanca.

People literally running past screaming all around them. Pure schlock mate. 

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Kelvin on May 05, 2018, 10:47:46 PM
Also from Jurassic World, the moment when all the pterasaurs are attacking the hundreds of park users, and Chris Pratt kisses Bryce Dallas Howard like it's Casablanca.

People literally running past screaming all around them. Pure schlock mate.

Much as I think the film is dogshit, that there is intentionally schlocky.

But, no fear, because there's always Laura Dern making an easy off-screen phone call in Jurassic Park 3 so the SWAT, Navy, US Army and, probably, National Guard turn up all at the same time, and just in the nick of time, to save the day within MINUTES.

Mister Six

Quote from: Z on May 05, 2018, 10:38:07 PM
Most recently, the Baby bump reveal in A Quiet Place, just totally at odds with the landscape and any sense of logic that would undoubtedly be needed.

I dunno, my mate moment with that film was the birth. So much tension about how the fuck she's going to give birth without making any sound, and she starts giving birth with a monster right there in the corridor and... It pops out, without any trouble, off-camera.

Mate.

The baby coffin made me laugh through.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sgt. Duckie on May 04, 2018, 03:00:20 PM

You see, I personally love this shot.  It's shoddy as far as effects go but its jerkiness only adds to the nightmarish quality, so I rather like it.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 05, 2018, 11:05:36 PM
Much as I think the film is dogshit, that there is intentionally schlocky.

Are you saying that a movie about dinosaurs on the rampage is schlocky?!  Never!

Icehaven

Quote from: phantom_power on May 05, 2018, 09:37:46 PM
This criticism has always annoyed me. If they had never come across water before they wouldn't know it was dangerous

But surely a species intelligent and advanced enough to have achieved manned interstellar space travel would research a planet before landing on it? We do before sending robots, and we can't even send  people.

Kelvin

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 06, 2018, 05:40:58 AM
Are you saying that a movie about dinosaurs on the rampage is schlocky?!  Never!

It's schlocky in a different way than the original film, though. The kiss feels almost parodic, or at least very melodramatic, with him pulling her to him with a single arm around the waist. Its tonally jarring, even within the context of the film.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 06, 2018, 05:40:58 AM

Hey, don't pick me up on it - I'm defending that moment, and I don't even like the fucking film!