Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:23:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

You're favourite vehicles in films

Started by Dr Syntax Head, April 25, 2017, 05:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

I'd like this to drive down to the shops.

Quincey

I'd quite like the jetpack from Thunderball. I know that's not a vehicle.

Quite like the Runabout from DS9, be a bugger to park though. I know you can cloak it but that doesn't help much.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 25, 2017, 05:58:11 PM
Also

A Lola T70 MkIII sportscar (orignially built as a road car). One of two bought for the film by Lucas, one of which was owned by James Garner's American International Racers team. It's best result was a second place in the 1969 Daytona 24 Hours. He was forced to sell it after he was made to give up racing by the studios (they had become obsolete in sportscar racing by then anyway, as the Porsche 917 had arrived on the scene).

There are a load of them used as background cars (and some were rebodied as Ferrari 512s and Porsche 917s for the crash scenes) in Steve McQueen's Le Mans film (ex-F1 and sportscar driver David Piper lost a leg when his Porsche 917 crashed during filming). McQueen had bought a factory Porsche 908 Spyder, and drove it to second place behind Mario Andretti in the 1970 Sebring 12 Hours. He was forbidden from driving at Le Mans by the producers, but his car was entered with two other drivers and fitted with 3 cameras to capture race footage for the film.

Even though it had to pit frequently to change the film rolls and the cameras effect on the aerodynamics, it still finished ninth.

McQueen's production company Solar also bought a factory Porsche 917K with Kurzheck short tail bodywork. This was painted for in the factory Gulf team colours for filming and driven by McQueen (though when he crashes it's a dressed-up T70).

It was later sold to Brian Redman as McQueen became disillusioned with racing after the troubled production of the film. It was bought by Jerry Seinfeld for his collection of Porsches in 2002.

Dr Syntax Head

I really like industrial style spaceships. The Nostromo is a great example. All the chains hanging down in the dark cargo bay. I love that kind of thing. The Enterprise may be my favourite space ship but it is a bit too clean, no matter how far we get with space ship tech we'll never achieve that level of sophisticated cleanliness and functionality.

That's why the Millennium Falcon is so great. It' a piece of shit but just about still works.

Fuck that comment actually, I'm wrong. I've watched Top Gear and I know what they can do with cars.

Dyl Spinks

Burt Reynolds' Trans-Am.

Rog's Lotus Esprit (not the white Spy Who Loved Me one; I prefer the sort of maroon one from For Your Eyes Only in terms of aesthetics).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on April 25, 2017, 07:07:03 PM
I'll nominate the magical hijacked-bus-which-makes-other-things-explode-without-harming-the-occupants from the magnificent Hologram Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k2uMkIJuLc&t=2m13s

If I could turn back time and re-register on this board as Slash Gallagher I totally would.

Cheers for making me aware of this, I watched it last night.

I've not seen a film so captivatingly awful since I watched Gymkata. It's amazing.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Dyl Spinks on April 26, 2017, 08:30:52 PM
Burt Reynolds' Trans-Am.

Rog's Lotus Esprit (not the white Spy Who Loved Me one; I prefer the sort of maroon one from For Your Eyes Only in terms of aesthetics).

Without Sally Field taking her wedding dress off in the passenger seat that car is just Clarkson fodder. You know it.

Bazooka

Neomod

::PURGE::

(Crane is extra)

The Porsche, Triumph and MG from Faster Pussycat.[nb]Amazon's are extra[/nb]

mrpupkin

Rewatched all the Herbie films as an adult once. Turns out The Love Bug is peng but all the others are basically turds. Couldn't believe I'd always been so oblivious to the huge drop in quality, sitting around happily gawping at Herbie Goes Bananas in my nappy like a fucking fool.

Dr Syntax Head

Has anyone seen that film where some people get crashed up in a desert but come across a HGV in a desert? Where it turns out the Lorry[nb]I'm English, I'm not saying truck[/nb]lives on human flesh? It was a bit low budget but it was brilliant. It was very much inspired by Duel to 'The Car'

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 27, 2017, 12:14:31 PM
Has anyone seen that film where some people get crashed up in a desert but come across a HGV in a desert? Where it turns out the Lorry[nb]I'm English, I'm not saying truck[/nb]lives on human flesh? It was a bit low budget but it was brilliant. It was very much inspired by Duel to 'The Car'

No but I'm interested, sounds a bit Maximum Overdrive.

wosl

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 27, 2017, 12:49:02 PM
No but I'm interested, sounds a bit Maximum Overdrive.

It's not that. Though Maximum Overdrive is a brilliant film. The part where the Lorry's make everyone refuel them incessantly is haunting.

Along with Repo Man it's why I like that Sheen. And the AC/DC soundtrack is brilliant.

studpuppet

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 26, 2017, 12:35:41 PM

The Man Who Haunted Himself has a two-fer:

The P5

Or the Lambo Islero:

Equals:

Sebastian Cobb

There used to be a P6 that was on my way to work. Quality motor in dark brown. Would happily own.

Rizla

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 27, 2017, 12:14:31 PM

Fairly recent Aussie film?  Three young adults, two blokes and a woman (all attractive, of course)?  One of the blokes is Chinese?  The truck affects them mentally somehow and makes them go a bit bonkers?  That the one?

EDIT - I'm thinking of this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1241330/.  A couple of details I had wrong, but definitely what I was thinking of.  I hope you don't mean that, cos it's shit.

How's about the Griswold Station Wagon.  Even though it's not the one Clark ordered.

Mr Banlon

The Death Probe from The Six Million Dollar Man gave me nightmares when I was a kid.

buzby

Quote from: Neomod on April 27, 2017, 11:30:19 AM
::PURGE::

Quote from: Sal Vicuso on April 27, 2017, 11:41:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Sy_ramx24&index=3&list=PLIwQcjceHg2DfiTWWBMp8oJ1xvAoCxWIS

You can go ahead and lock the thread now
Both the Spinner (the driveable ones, at least) and Condorman's car are based on VW Beetles. In the case of Condorman, it was a slightly modified Sterling Nova kit car:

One also appears in The Cannonball Run too.

Deckard's sedan and the ground-based police cars were also Beetle-based too

Blumf

Quote from: buzby on April 27, 2017, 10:31:23 PM
Both the Spinner (the driveable ones, at least) and Condorman's car are based on VW Beetles. In the case of Condorman, it was a slightly modified Sterling Nova kit car:

One also turns up in Death Race 2000 (1975)

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_3297-Nova-Sterling.html

Brundle-Fly

One of those films that can never live up to the title and accompanying poster but was intoxicating to me as a kid. Never seen it; merde?

Sal Vicuso

They've all had a terrifying climax etc etc

studpuppet

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 27, 2017, 03:44:38 PM
There used to be a P6 that was on my way to work. Quality motor in dark brown. Would happily own.

That'll have been George Smiley's runabout in 'Smiley's People' then:

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Sal Vicuso on April 27, 2017, 11:41:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Sy_ramx24&index=3&list=PLIwQcjceHg2DfiTWWBMp8oJ1xvAoCxWIS

You can go ahead and lock the thread now

Top Gear has gone acid.

That clip has bought back some sweet memories though. So much to love.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 27, 2017, 04:55:43 PM
Fairly recent Aussie film?  Three young adults, two blokes and a woman (all attractive, of course)?  One of the blokes is Chinese?  The truck affects them mentally somehow and makes them go a bit bonkers?  That the one?

EDIT - I'm thinking of this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1241330/.  A couple of details I had wrong, but definitely what I was thinking of.  I hope you don't mean that, cos it's shit.

How's about the Griswold Station Wagon.  Even though it's not the one Clark ordered.

Yes that is the one. I liked some aspects of it. Mainly the shots of a creepy lorry in the desert.

Mr Banlon

The Durango 95/Adam Probe 16 from Clockwork Orange