Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:05:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Campaigning roll call

Started by pancreas, April 25, 2017, 10:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Posted in General Election Thread but it's been soiled.

---

Labour now has a new online tool for members to do phonebanking from your computer. You just put in your phone number and it connects you, gives you a script to use and record people's voting intentions. Called 'dialogue'. Very easy to use and you can really help out, for free, and whenever you have a spare few minutes. There's no excuse not to do this.

I just did three or four from my desk.

The script is just the usual Voter ID thing, but it seems there's no reason not to add the Momentum-style persuasion stuff at the end. Basically, if and only if it's a 'don't know' you say 'What are the issues that might affect the way you're likely to vote at the moment?' and try to get them involved in a discussion. Then lots of 'Well, Labour will do this ... and the reason I'm voting Labour is that ... '

Got an anti-Muslim guy just now. Hard work... Brexit... I might have got him though with 'Don't worry about trade deals with Europe. The most important thing is that you still have a hospital to go to.' Quite pleased with that.

If anyone fancies doing it I don't mind giving you some contingency plans. I'm even happy to do a few practice runs via skype.

Quincey

Done my second leaflet delivery and second leaflet sorting this week. It's good fun although important to bring an umbrella/raincoat. Will try and do another one Fri.

Mr Brightside

What if I'd like to help but I can't be arsed posting leaflets or calling people? It is possible to simply send out good vibes?

pancreas

Quote from: Mr Brightside on May 22, 2017, 04:03:50 PM
What if I'd like to help but I can't be arsed posting leaflets or calling people? It is possible to simply send out good vibes?

No.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Im not a Labour member but have been wondering what I can do to help. What can non-members do?

I live in a very safe Tory seat.

Buelligan

Persuading others, hard, to vote Labour.  And displaying a poster, pour encourager les autres, maybe even join up and offer to lend a hand...  There could be loads of hot waiverers in your area wanting to chat and needing to feel like their Labour vote wouldn't be a waste. Vote anyway.

pancreas

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on May 22, 2017, 04:30:36 PM
Im not a Labour member but have been wondering what I can do to help. What can non-members do?

I live in a very safe Tory seat.

Join Labour and then do some phone canvassing via the Dialogue app?

Or some doorstepping/leaflet delivery via

https://mynearestmarginal.com/

You should join Labour first, really. It's only £4 a month...

Mr Brightside

Quote from: pancreas on May 22, 2017, 04:53:05 PM
Join Labour and then do some phone canvassing via the Dialogue app?

Or some doorstepping/leaflet delivery via

https://mynearestmarginal.com/

You should join Labour first, really. It's only £4 a month...

Would it be of any help if I were to release several red balloons with '#CORBYN' etched on them in large writing?

pancreas

Quote from: Mr Brightside on May 23, 2017, 09:37:39 PM
Would it be of any help if I were to release several red balloons with '#CORBYN' etched on them in large writing?

At a rally, yes, why not. It's a start.

You're an enterprising fellow... why not set up a website UnspeakableSexActsForCorbyn.co.uk and encourage people to wank you off in return for £5 donations to the Labour party.

pancreas

Are you campaigning this weekend? Saturday and Sunday will be big days, lots of events on all round the country. The last weekend before the election.
events.labour.org.uk
or
mynearestmarginal.com

Corbs explains all.

Dr Rock

Having a gammy leg that means I can't walk very far means door-knocking or leafleting is out. But I do run a pro-Corbyn/Labour FB page (540 likes) which posts lots of pro-Labour/anti-Tory news stories for the page followers to disseminate.

I also make memes and that. Here's one I made earlier:

Mr Brightside

Quote from: pancreas on June 01, 2017, 03:20:21 PM
Are you campaigning this weekend? Saturday and Sunday will be big days, lots of events on all round the country. The last weekend before the election.
events.labour.org.uk
or
mynearestmarginal.com

Corbs explains all.

Would it help if I streaked at a major sporting event such as the Champions League final with 'Jez we can' written on my arse?

pancreas

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 01, 2017, 05:45:21 PM
Having a gammy leg that means I can't walk very far means door-knocking or leafleting is out. But I do run a pro-Corbyn/Labour FB page (540 likes) which posts lots of pro-Labour/anti-Tory news stories for the page followers to disseminate.

Ah, then you're a perfect fit for the dialogue app---phone banking thing.

dialogue.labour.org.uk

Log in with your Labour membership number, and get phone-banking. You're mainly doing voter ID, so the teams on election day know which houses to go to, but you can also chat Labour policies if they're undecided. It's free. They connect you to some hold music, then you control everything with a webpage.

pancreas

Quote from: Mr Brightside on June 01, 2017, 05:53:32 PM
Would it help if I streaked at a major sporting event such as the Champions League final with 'Jez we can' written on my arse?

'Alone and naked' ... probably not a good idea.

Dr Rock

Quote from: pancreas on June 01, 2017, 05:56:20 PM
Ah, then you're a perfect fit for the dialogue app---phone banking thing.

dialogue.labour.org.uk

Log in with your Labour membership number, and get phone-banking. You're mainly doing voter ID, so the teams on election day know which houses to go to, but you can also chat Labour policies if they're undecided. It's free. They connect you to some hold music, then you control everything with a webpage.

Does it work if I don't have a landline?

edit - it says

QuoteLog in to watch the short video introduction on how to make calls. All you will need is:
▶   a telephone (using a landline keeps our costs down and means calls connect faster) and
▶   a tablet or computer.

So I'm still not sure.

pancreas

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 01, 2017, 05:59:41 PM
Does it work if I don't have a landline?

edit - it says

So I'm still not sure.

Works with a mobile, they just want you to use a landline if you can. So get stuck in!

Dr Rock

Thursday

What can I do to help Labour if I'm far too anxious about the idea of talking to people and also quite lazy? Also, living in a Tory/Lib Dem marginal anyway.

Dr Rock

Ok I've signed up - so am i just asking them who they are voting for or am I also trying to make them vote Labour if they don't want to? If so, what tactics and policies prove the most effective?

I'm thinking fox-hunting, see if they care about that.

Theresa May is NOT the right person to handle Brexit. if you know business negotiations you know you don't get good deals by being hostile. She has shown no ability to handle anything right, yet insists she is up to the job. Why would you believe her?

Don't you think her popularity was built on people not knowing much about her, and her speech outside number ten, and since then, as people see her, they realise she's useless, dodges questions etc. Not a good leader.

Immigration - Tories make promises they never deliver on. Labour are honest, this country will always need immigration, but it should only be when the country needs it. That's the sensible approach.

The NHS

Old people betrayed.

Labour have made a firm commitment on only taxing those earning above 80k. The Tories just say they have 'no plans' to raise taxes, and fall back on their image as a low tax party, rather than make pledges. But it's almost certain they will raise taxes, income tax, and even VAT even higher. They will of course protect the very rich.

Labour's manifesto is great (but what parts does the average person like reminding about most?)

What else (if this is what i'm supposed to be doing, the video didn't make that clear)?

pancreas

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 01, 2017, 06:34:50 PM
Ok I've signed up - so am i just asking them who they are voting for or am I also trying to make them vote Labour if they don't want to? If so, what tactics and policies prove the most effective?

Mainly just the first, but if they're undecided you can ask 'Do you mind if I ask you what are the important policies for you?' and then they'll usually say something you can agree is a problem, even if it's Brexit and then give them the Labour line. Usually good to go with something like 'Well, funny you should mention that, because Labour's policy is ... ' If you get Terrorism + Corbyn you just say 'Well, Corbyn's position has always been '. Also a good one is 'The reason I'm voting Labour is ...'

Try to agree with as much stuff as you can, but you can say that you're not sure you recognise their position if they're like Immigrants Bad! and try to give them a better narrative. This sort of chat will be about 10% of your calls anyway, because usually it's just firming up the Labour vote and then don't waste time.

One more tip: try to find out about the rest of the house. If it's all Labour then you can do the whole household.

NHS is obviously a big deal. 24 A&E closures planned, Red Cross declaring humanitarian emergency, nurses going to food banks, recent story in the indie about a cancer patient dying in corridor because not enough beds.

QuoteI'm thinking fox-hunting, see if they care about that.

It's certainly a good one, to place an image in their minds as an example of their priorities in this election.

QuoteTheresa May is NOT the right person to handle Brexit. if you know business negotiations you know you don't get good deals by being hostile. She has shown no ability to handle anything right, yet insists she is up to the job. Why would you believe her?

Don't you think her popularity was built on people not knowing much about her, and her speech outside number ten, and since then, as people see her, they realise she's useless, dodges questions etc. Not a good leader.

Immigration - Tories make promises they never deliver on. Labour are honest, this country will always need immigration, but it should only be when the country needs it. That's the sensible approach.

The NHS

Old people betrayed.

Labour have made a firm commitment on only taxing those earning above 80k. The Tories just say they have 'no plans' to raise taxes, and fall back on their image as a low tax party, rather than make pledges. But it's almost certain they will raise taxes, income tax, and even VAT even higher. They will of course protect the very rich.

Labour's manifesto is great (but what parts does the average person like reminding about most?)

What else (if this is what i'm supposed to be doing, the video didn't make that clear)?

All good stuff.

Schools? Average of 2 teachers lost per school, cutting free school meals with an underfunded breakfast plan of 7p per child, teachers having to buy toilet roll, Birmingham school cutting the day by 30mins.

pancreas

Quote from: Thursday on June 01, 2017, 06:17:18 PM
What can I do to help Labour if I'm far too anxious about the idea of talking to people and also quite lazy? Also, living in a Tory/Lib Dem marginal anyway.

Donate? Like, share and retweet the fuck out of stuff.

Dr Rock

Well I just spoke to three people - one was a Jehovah's Witness who isn't allowed to vote. The other two, who were perfectly happy to chat, believed all the parties were useless and there was no point in voting. I did try to change their minds, but to no avail. Fun though, will do more.

I'm targetting Hammersmith cos it's a Labour constituency that could go Tory, and as a Londoner if I phoned up Yorkshire or Scotland they would probably think I was a southern twat.

pancreas

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 01, 2017, 07:36:50 PM
Well I just spoke to three people - one was a Jehovah's Witness who isn't allowed to vote. The other two, who were perfectly happy to chat, believed all the parties were useless and there was no point in voting. I did try to change their minds, but to no avail. Fun though, will do more.

I'm targetting Hammersmith cos it's a Labour constituency that could go Tory, and as a Londoner if I phoned up Yorkshire or Scotland they would probably think I was a southern twat.

I've been doing Stockton South, because it's currently Tory and I'm being optimistic. Got a few Labours and managed to get a woman who voted Con last time whom I tipped over to Labour. It was Brexit mainly and me talking up Keir Starmer, with a bit of NHS. That played well with the local candidate being a doctor. So one to pancreas, nil to Tories. If all Labour members did three like this...

Mr Brightside

Quote from: pancreas on June 01, 2017, 07:56:06 PM
If all Labour members did three like this...

. . . then what? Don't you have the hard figures?

pancreas

Quote from: Mr Brightside on June 01, 2017, 08:06:07 PM
. . . then what? Don't you have the hard figures?

Hard figures, you pervert? Yes 3 * 500 000 = 1.5m = win.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 01, 2017, 05:45:21 PM

Really need ROFLCOPTER or something at the end

Dr Rock

Just did three from Hendon, all voted Labour all their life, I told them how it was terrible how Hendon went Tory in 2015 so it's really important that everyone gets out to vote and get Labour back in, and they said they were definitely going to vote. Better than yesterday, but I suppose the best is when you get someone to switch teams, looking forward to that.

pancreas

Unusual to turn one completely. Usually hope just give the final push. The other thing is if you think they're solid Labour then ask if they're willing to help out on the day for the Get Out The Vote stuff.

garbed_attic

Spent two or three hours canvassing today and had some good conversations. Think I actually swung one nice woman to Labour at least!

pancreas

Quote from: gout_pony on June 02, 2017, 06:29:11 PM
Spent two or three hours canvassing today and had some good conversations. Think I actually swung one nice woman to Labour at least!

Bang! You put the go in gout_pony!