Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:56:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Great News (New Tina Fey Produced Sitcom)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 26, 2017, 06:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This is a new US sitcom created by 30 Rock writer Tracey Wigfield, but they've been promoting it with Tina Fey's name as she's produced it. It's a behind the scenes look at a news station, akin to Blunt Talk, it's more wacky than the Jonathan Ames' underrated show but equally as likeable. The main plot is about a female segment producer who's always tired of being given the fluff pieces, and her interfering mother who starts working as an intern in the office. Which sounds dodgy I know but it pulls it off with aplomb and both lead characters get some great lines and moments. Two episodes aired last night and it's remarkably solid from the get go, and there's only ten episodes so hopefully it'll not suffer from having any filler episodes.

Will be watching because I fancy Briga Heelan. That's the extent of my contribution. Thanks for reading.

Didn't like this at all - or the pilot at least. It was a typical US pilot, establishing the characters and their quirks, and forgetting to put in actual jokes (until near the end, when it got a bit funnier - "I would have given you a raise, idiot"). I'll watch the second episode, but this has the look of one of the many, many, many US sitcoms I see that are big on character acting and tidy endings, and low on jokes.

Moribunderast

I really enjoyed the first two episodes - very rare for a new US sitcom to make me properly laugh before they've established the characters and dynamics but this got me a few times. The 30 Rock pedigree is clear from the tone, perhaps even too much so - the scenario feels pretty much identical to 30 Rock with slight alterations. The two hosts are Tracey and Jenna, the main lass is Liz and Alec Baldwin is divided evenly into the mother and showrunner characters. 30 Rock is probably my favourite sitcom of all-time, though, so it's a criticism I can wave off if the laughs are there. I  really thought it was an impressive beginning and am hoping for steady improvement. It generally feels with US network sitcoms that you just hope for promise/potential in the first season and then wait for it to blossom in the second.

Spoiler alert
I was on board from the opening "Did that rat JUMP into my mouth?" gag. So 30 Rock. The attempted bike-riding sequence was great too, predictable as it was.
[close]

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

fiona37

"(until near the end, when it got a bit funnier - "I would have given you a raise, idiot")."

This more or less happens in Nathan Barley. Straight/gay article. Jonatton Yeah? tells Dan he would have paid him more than he asked for. Media boss behaviour?

I eventually went off Blunt Talk despite it being theoretically good.

Great News too nice for me, especially in a week with Veep and Silicon Valley. (tks anyway SMBH)

Dr Rock

How can I see this? Is it on anything like Netflix, cos it's not on that Pirate Bay.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 28, 2017, 01:04:59 AM
How can I see this? Is it on anything like Netflix, cos it's not on that Pirate Bay.

It comes up on the pirate bay for me, but it's also here: https://rarbg.unblocked.tw/torrents.php?search=great+news

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 28, 2017, 01:04:59 AM

I just used exodus on kodi.

olliebean

Loving this. Episodes 3 & 4 were great, it's bedding in really nicely. Does feel very much like 30 Rock, but that's no bad thing.

Dr Rock

I didn't care for it much. It didn't feel much like anything Tina Fey was involved with and indeed it's hard to say how much involvement she has. Wiki says it was 'created and written by Tracey Wigfield (her first series as a creator and producer), and co-executive produced with Tina Fey, Robert Carlock, David Miner' - and from watching the credits, about 15 other producers, co-producers and executive producers. Fey probably suggested a couple of things at a meeting once and picked up a big cheque because having her name on it was good for business. In short, I want my money back. And a new series of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

olliebean

New Kimmy Schmidt is coming on 19th May.

Dr Rock

Woohoo, and I just signed back up to Netflix for a free month after cancelling a few months ago.

Dr Rock

btw there's a new Maria Bamford special on Netflix now called Old Baby. Is this common knowledge?

Small Man Big Horse

I'm really enjoying this now, the fourth episode was especially strong and had lots of great moments and jokes. Unfortunately it's being described as a ratings disaster, with the fourth episode only getting a 0.6 in the 18-49 demographic, so unless a miracle happens and people suddenly start watching it it's extremely unlikely we'll get a second season.

olliebean

Well it's not promising that they already decided to burn through it at two episodes a week, before even seeing the ratings. It's a real shame though, this is probably giving me more laughs per episode than anything else on atm.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on May 05, 2017, 08:43:30 AM
Well it's not promising that they already decided to burn through it at two episodes a week, before even seeing the ratings. It's a real shame though, this is probably giving me more laughs per episode than anything else on atm.

It seems to be a new thing NBC is trying out as they did the same with Trial and Error, but the ratings were patchy for that as well so I think they really should stop doing it now.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's been renewed for a second season.

The show is quite funny, but it's basically some comfort food for people who wanted more 30 Rock episodes.