Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:39:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Started by Shay Chaise, April 28, 2017, 07:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

I woke up in the night to download this. Played it on the john this morning.

Exactly the same and absolutely brilliant. It looks sensational on the handheld.

Kelvin

I had sworn I wouldn't buy this game all over again, but after watching reviews, let's plays and live streams, I've pretty much realised I will. The only real question now is whether I buy it physical of digital. The Switch has so little memory, but I'd definitely pick it up and play it more if it was digital.

Shay Chaise

It's only about six gig but yeah. I got 128gig for twenty quid or something though. Worf it.

Puce Moment

Is this like the old SNES MarioKart, or the more 360 degree one that came later?

Shay Chaise

It's the best one since the SNES one and the best overall.

Kelvin

Yeah, MK8 is hands down the best Mario Kart they've ever made. Best courses, best art design, best controls, best balance. It's an absolute pleasure to play.

Shay Chaise

Kind of nothing to say about it but this is one heck of a game.

Puce Moment

OK, I'm a dunce on this sort of thing, but would this ever pop up on Steam?

brat-sampson

Totally straight answer: No. Never. Games like this are developed by Nintendo themselves in-house and as such will forever be exclusive to their hardware. In this case, the Switch.

The equivalent would be asking if it's likely if you'll be able to buy a Subway sandwich from your local McDonalds in the near future.

Puce Moment

Many thanks - on the positive side, that's a few hours of my life I won't be spending playing a game.

Shay Chaise

I just played my first online Mario Kart, like, ever. I don't really know the courses at all but I had an absolute blast. I've never been into the item side of Mario Kart because I've mostly played single player ever since the SNES Battle Mode heyday and I'm used to getting crap items from mostly being at the front playing against the AI over the years. This has breathed so much life into the game and I see myself playing exclusively online now.

I don't really know why I haven't played online before, a kind of nervousness about getting battered at a game I usually find relaxing and satisfying. I think there's a thread in this.

Oh, only thing, it's the first time I've ever heard the Switch fan! Little bugger was working hard. I hope it doesn't melt.

Timothy

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 29, 2017, 08:52:09 AM
Oh, only thing, it's the first time I've ever heard the Switch fan! Little bugger was working hard. I hope it doesn't melt.

Really? If I start Zelda it makes a lot of noise for the first minute or so.

Shay Chaise

I'd honestly never noticed it before. Maybe it's noisier in docked mode or maybe it's because it's constantly going when playing online.

Going back to the game, I think one of its greatest strengths is the balance. I'm bringing a lot of Mario Kart experience but very little knowledge of these tracks, most of which I only played once or twice on Wii U, and 150cc is a decent challenge. I don't win every race but because my basic knowledge of the mechanics is pretty sound, I'm doing well enough against the AI. But, yes, the balance. I'm being pegged back but not relentlessly so like in Mario Kart Wii and when I do fall behind, it feels like I've always got a chance, but not necessarily always the chance to win at the last second, just a chance to place well. That's an improvement for me, rather than throwing a load of mad items at half a dozen players in the last twenty seconds. It feels like good driving is rewarded more than well timed/lucky item use.

I'd also say that the tracks are chock full of little moments to take advantage of, or just enjoy. While there are obviously shortcuts I don't know about, it seems that whichever path you take offers some chance of reward, albeit with varying levels of risk and skill required. The hop boost thing is great and ups the skill ceiling and opportunities just a tiny bit higher, especially on a course with lots of little ridges or on an undulating track. It's one more thing to think about and sneak a little advantage. I didn't used to like the glider sections on any previous Mario Kart because they felt a bit on rails or just slow, I don't know exactly, but they've nailed it here. If you get the hop boost just before and you go long and just hold it a few inches above the track, you get an amazing sense of speed and weightlessness just as the tyres hit the deck. Beautifully judged feel.

I love this game already.

Consignia

Man the 200cc class is brutal. I was finding 150cc too easy, so I thought I'd up my game, but I can barely control the cart in 200cc, and really have trouble drifting.

I am enjoying it way more than I thought I would. I really wasn't all that into it on the WiiU, but it's shed loads of fun on the Switch.

Shay Chaise

I'm no expert but you  can drift, you just also need to brake during drift. That sounds shit but you still hold the drift and boost, you just temper the speed. It basically adds one extra mechanic and button to the regular gameplay.

I'm also shit at it.

Replies From View

If you guys like "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe" (or even the non-"Deluxe" version) there's an enormously high chance you'll also like something called "Mario" on the Nintendo Entertainment System or "Super Nintendo Entertainment System".

To cut a long story short, basically "Mario" is a plumber, and with a "controller" you "control" him on your television screen.  You would absolutely love him, honestly.  It's hard to explain but go down to Eric Snook's Toyshop for more info.  They sell "Mario" there.

Kelvin

Quote from: Replies From View on April 30, 2017, 04:21:56 PM
If you guys like "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe" (or even the non-"Deluxe" version) there's an enormously high chance you'll also like something called "Mario" on the Nintendo Entertainment System or "Super Nintendo Entertainment System".

To cut a long story short, basically "Mario" is a plumber, and with a "controller" you "control" him on your television screen.  You would absolutely love him, honestly.  It's hard to explain but go down to Eric Snook's Toyshop for more info.  They sell "Mario" there.

How does he move around without wheels, though?

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on April 30, 2017, 04:45:22 PM
How does he move around without wheels, though?

Ask in Eric Snook's Toyshop!

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Replies From View on April 30, 2017, 04:21:56 PM

I hope that neg is for not mentioning Donkey Kong

edit-
Spoiler alert
it isn't
[close]

Consignia

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 30, 2017, 02:51:43 PM
I'm no expert but you  can drift, you just also need to brake during drift. That sounds shit but you still hold the drift and boost, you just temper the speed. It basically adds one extra mechanic and button to the regular gameplay.

I'm also shit at it.

Hmm... I've been able to pull off drifting a bit without any complex maneuver now on 200cc. However, I get blue sparks at best, and I'm still flying all over the course like a rag doll.

I started on an easier cup this time though, and did considerably better. I'm still all over the shop, but it's loads of fun belting around at that speed. You can tell the game wasn't really designed for 200cc, since you can end up leaping over whole massive segments of the track if you boost over a ramp.

colacentral

I thought the game was perfectly balanced in the original Mario Kart 8, but the second item has added a bit too much chaos to online for my liking. For example, I've dropped from 1st or 2nd to 10th - 12th a ton of times by being hit over and over and over again in a stationary position. I loved the original Mario Kart 8 because it did reduce the amount of luck involved compared to previous games, especially from Mario Kart Wii which was unplayable online because of how futile an exercise it felt, with the game basically deciding who wins and loses in the final lap with a really uneven distribution of items.

It's still highly addictive though, and it actually looks alot better than I was expecting. I really thought it would be impossible to tell the difference from the visuals of Mario Kart 8, but there do seem to be alot of small details added, like new lighting effects, possibly new background details and starting lines (although I haven't confirmed this). It may just be the enhanced resolution bringing finer details out.

I love using the green female inkling at the moment, mostly because of the transformation into the squid when performing the hop boost.

Consignia

One thing that is annoying is that the helper modes, i.e. Auto-accelerate and Steering assist, are both on by default. You have turn them off each time you restart the game. They are actually quite a hindrance, since you are less in control of your kart.

colacentral

You might not have noticed but if you hit + while in the kart select screen it will bring up the option to turn those off, and I haven't had it come on again since then.

It is bullshit that it's on by default and they hide the option to turn it off in a menu that hardly anyone will even realise is there without looking it up.

colacentral

The most bullshit thing about this game is that there's still no Diddy Kong! Him and Koopa are pretty much the only two I played as since Double Dash. Please make Diddy Kong DLC Nintendo.

Thursday

I have this now.

Not actually owned a Mario Kart game before, so I'll be shite playing against other people, even as easy as it  seems to make things for beginners.

Kelvin

My copy also arrived. I particularly like the new Renegade Roundup battle mode, where you have to chase people down with a piranha plant.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 30, 2017, 06:07:43 PM

I hope that neg is for not mentioning Donkey Kong

edit-
Spoiler alert
it isn't
[close]

That guy is a notorious Sega fanboy who doesn't like to see any mention of the Nintendo Entertainment System or "Super Nintendo Entertainment System".

You are better off not thinking about him any longer.

Thursday

Okay I know the blue shell is the cliche thing people whine about, but for me it seems to the computer AI going "That Guy's in 6th place, and starting to gain a bit of momentum. FUCKING KILL HIM, KILL HIM NOW"

Consignia

Enough of us for a CaB match yet?

Thursday

I'll be up for that at some point

friend codes