Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,455
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:47:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me some indie games

Started by biggytitbo, April 29, 2017, 10:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

There's such a mind boggling number of these on Steam and bundlestars etc, I don't know where to start!

I quite fancy some 16-bit esque platformers, or run and gunners like metal slug, but anything good that's not a strategy/medieval/war game.

Zetetic

Brigador (Steam link) is an isometric-view game where you drive a mech around blowing stuff up. I'm not very good at it, but I still enjoy it from time-to-time. The RPS review seems quite fair, but I note that they've continued updating it in the year since it was released.

I mention it because I've not seen anyone else do so on here. I'm not sure if it strays into "war game" territory, but I think it shares something with run-and-gunnners in practice.

wasp_f15ting

brat-sampson

Which ones have you played already? For an old-school style platformer Shovel Knight is fucking brilliant and comes with three campaigns with another on the way. Noitu Love 2 is an excellent side-scrolly shooty type thing too.

I think my top three indies would probably be

The Binding of Isaac (rogue-like)
Undertale (RPG)
World of Goo (Construction/Puzzle game)

With The Witness getting a very high honourable mention.

biggytitbo

Isometric games are a good shout, I love those. What's the closest to a modern day head over heels or batman?

I've got shovel knight brat, but haven't played it yet. I will have to try inside.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Broforce and Guacamelee are two great side scrolling games I've played recently. Broforce is a shoot em up, along the lines of Contra, while Guacamelee is a Metroid-esque beat 'em up with some really lovely art design. Both are tremendous fun.

brat-sampson

Jump on the Shovel. The gameplay mechanics in the latest Specter Knight campaign alone are a thing of beauty.

Bhazor

Teleglitch, an isometric roguelike super fast Resident Evil with some of the best ever sound design in any game ever. Wuv it.

Iji, a free metroidvania game in development for like 8 years. A solidly fun action adventure that takes a couple surprisingly affecting left turns.

Battlerite, though it looks like a MOBA game it actually plays more like a party brawler along the line of Smash Bros or Powerstone. 3 minute fights, some really fun ideas and enough scope for strategy and shit if you really dig in. Horribly overpriced for what you get though especially with the loot chest system. Pop it on the wishlist and get it when its 80% off at christmas.

TheWoodenSpoon

Going to throw another recommendation in for Shovel Knight. It's a fantastic game and the time will fuckin' fly by because of this.

If you feel like breaking your keyboard/controller, Ultionus: A Tale Of Petty Revenge is the way to go. Good game but holy Christ the difficulty is beyond belief.

A few others in the platforming vein are:
99 Levels to Hell (roguelike)
You Have 10 Seconds
You Have 10 Seconds 2
(puzzle)

Good timewasters include:
Terraria (sandbox/adventure)
Spelunky (roguelike)
Jets n' Guns (Shoot-'em Up)

...and the list could go on for a long time.

Bhazor

Mercenary Kings is more or less Metal Slug crossed with Monster Hunter. Extremely repetitive but fun in short bursts

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 30, 2017, 12:25:58 AM
Isometric games are a good shout, I love those. What's the closest to a modern day head over heels or batman?

If you want old school isometric adventure game give Sexy Brutale a look. Not played it myself but reviews have been positive barring some technical problems.

Or look at Ghost of a Tale a isometric stealth adventure game, which is possibly the best looking one man game ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJcX3FPPd_k

Hangthebuggers

Mark of the Ninja. Side-scrolling stealth game with beautiful graphics and decent enough gameplay that rewards replays. It really is quite satisfying to make it through the level ducking into shadows, throwing distractions and sleeping gas and such to get the 'no kills' stealth bonus. Alternatively you can go in 'heavy' and take out the inhabitants in various, creative ways.

--

Exanima. Physics based isometric dungeon-crawler /adventure with a great atmosphere. Combat is fairly unique and it's tough as nails.

--

Terraria - A wonderful gem of a game. Dig, explore, build, defend, farm and hack your mark onto a world. Lots of and lots and lots of content. Tons of weapons, armour, spells, collectables. The game has fun enemies, strange boss fights, and it rewards you with a great sense of exploration that just hooks you. The lovely aesthetic and cutesy music style hide a sometimes tough as hell game (especially some of the later boss fights).

--
Starbound. Terraria in space (sort of). Instead of playing on one big world like Terraria. You can potentially visit thousands and thousands of unique worlds all scattered across the galaxy, all with different biomes and creatures and weather types and such. Again tons of collectibles and cosmetics. You can even build a colony or a space base or upgrade your ship and travel around as a nomad. I find this game more atmospheric than Terraria and the fan-base is split on which one is the better game. I'd argue Terraria has more content and is designed in a way to be constantly engaging, giving you more of a direction, whereas Starbound is slightly more of a sandbox, giving you the breathing room to take your time and be creative.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 30, 2017, 12:25:58 AM

Maybe you'll like (ignore the shit title) - Project Zomboid.

A constantly updated zombie sandbox survival game. Several cities and towns to explore stretched out of over miles of fields, forests, lakes and wilderness. Play it how you like... A midnight scavenger, skulking around stealing farming supplies to bring back to your woodland shack? Or maybe you want to convert the big warehouse at the edge of town into some kind of defensive base? Or maybe you carry everything in your pack and just follow your hungry belly. Grow food, chop wood, build fences loot houses, deal with power cuts and harsh winters. Panic as an unexpected burglar alarm sends a huge horde of dead bastards your way.

biggytitbo

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAlternatively you can go in 'heavy

Oh baby yeah fuck yeah oh fuck yes jesus fucking hell fuck yes

Bhazor

Steven's Sausage Roll is probably the best puzzle game I've ever played. Absolutely bastard hard though.