Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:55:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Eraserhead

Started by Johnny Textface, April 29, 2017, 11:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Textface

St_Eddie

Not bollocks.

Johnny Textface

Sound design was good.

garbed_attic

Bruce disagrees:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvtQQdZSMo0

You must just not be scared enough of lady bits to get it.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: gout_pony on April 30, 2017, 12:06:50 AM
Bruce disagrees:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvtQQdZSMo0

You must just not be scared enough of lady bits to get it.

Love lady bits me like.

Dr Syntax Head

One of the best films ever made. It's Lynch. I love the industrial landscape

Dr Syntax Head

If you think Eraserhead is shit you have no right talking about film.

St_Eddie

I've had time to type a proper response now, so allow me to open by stating that 'Eraserhead' is in fact one of my favourite films.  It's certainly my favourite David Lynch film.  I'm sure that everyone has their own interpretation of what the film is all actually about.  Clearly Johnny Textface's interpretation was "bollocks" but for myself the film depicts a man in purgatory.  A man whom is being tested in the afterlife, to see whether he shall be sent to Heaven or Hell.

At the very beginning of the film, 'the man in the planet' (or should that be 'the man in the sky'?) pulls and pushes various levers.  It is his eternal duty, as it always has been and always shall be, to direct the souls of the departed to their differing and deserved destinations.  One such soul is Henry Spencer; a man whom had a turbulent relationship on Earth, back when he existed within the neutral plane of the living, even though he never truly lived.  Perhaps Henry's greatest failing in life was when he was faced with the prospect of having a child.  His girlfriend fell pregnant with his child and he talked, pleaded, begged and ultimately strong armed her into having an abortion.  He did not truly love her and had been unfaithful with a dancer from a local club which he frequented. Besides which, figured Henry, why would such an internally isolated, alienated and confused being wish this torment to be thrust upon a new life?  Surely that would be cruelty.  'Better to stop it before it begins', Henry reasoned.

One day, Henry Spencer ceased to be.  He finds not what he had hoped for upon his passing.  He had hoped for non-existence; peace; an end to the suffering but instead, he finds purgatory, though like every other spirit who has being drawn into this realm since the dawn of mankind; he realises not where he resides, nor how he came to be here.  For the time being, he is locked in a dreamlike state; only vaguely aware somewhere in the recesses of his mind, how bizarre and terrifying his predicament is and yet, on the surface; it seems to be real and coherent.  It is his nightmare and it will not end until he exposes his nature to the man in the sky.

A verisimilar visage of Henry's girlfriend exists within this strange realm, as do others from the neutral plane of the living.  They are here to test Henry.  As it did once occur on Earth; Henry's girlfriend finds herself pregnant with his child and gives birth within moments of intercourse.  This time there was no opportunity for Henry to insist upon an abortion.  This time around, he finds himself as a Father.  At first Henry attempts to care for his offspring; itself a hideous reflection of the useless, weak and helpless shell of a man which created it.  However, the heat of Henry's passion; his weakness, it pulls him into sin.  The dancer.  His shameful infidelity.  She resides within the heat of the radiator and his mind.  She lures him like a Siren calls to its prey.  It proves too much.

Henry attempts to kill his offspring, as he once did on Earth.  His chance at redemption is over and he has failed to rectify his prior mistakes.  Henry is hellbound.

Well, that's my interpretation of the film at any rate... or is it an extract from my diary?  I forget which.

Bhazor

How long till the remake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-EiIvA6uJU

With Scarjo as the blood chicken. Because fuck it. Who cares.

Mr Brightside

I absolutely love David Lynch, but St_Eddie's post is exactly the kind of thing that puts people off trying his films.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 30, 2017, 12:37:06 AM
One of the best films ever made. It's Lynch. I love the industrial landscape

If you love it so much why don't you go live there?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mr Brightside on April 30, 2017, 01:17:56 AM
I absolutely love David Lynch, but St_Eddie's post is exactly the kind of thing that puts people off trying his films.

Sorry, in future I'll be sure to simply type 'well good film, mate.'

Besides, what do I care if I put people off watching his films?  More importantly, why do you care?  Are you David Lynch?  You are, aren't you?

Don't be such a fucking dick, Mr. Lynch, okay?

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 30, 2017, 01:36:31 AM

Please don't.

Mr Brightside

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 30, 2017, 01:36:31 AM

Besides, what do I care if I put people off watching his films?  More importantly, why do you care?  Are you David Lynch?  You are, aren't you?

Don't be such a fucking dick, Mr. Lynch, okay?

Wasn't taking issue with you sharing your views, but lacing the review with twat words like 'verisimilar' and overusing alliteration makes all Lynch fans seem like pretentious prissy prats.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mr Brightside on April 30, 2017, 01:44:40 AM
Wasn't taking issue with you sharing your views, but lacing the review with twat words like 'verisimilar' and overusing alliteration makes all Lynch fans seem like pretentious prissy prats.

That's how I write.  It's not pretension; it's from the heart.  Now fuck off, you silly little cunt.  That's also from the heart.

Mr Brightside

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 30, 2017, 01:46:31 AM
That's how I write.  It's not pretension; it's from the heart.  Now fuck off, you silly little cunt.  That's also from the heart.

As I seem to have made you fly into a rage and rip all your Robert Smith posters off the wall, I would be willing to help you replace them. I can't send cash, though, so I can only offer the equivalent value in Corinthian football player figures. I have three Alan Shearers and six Sol Campbells.

Skip Bittman

I lived in Eraserhead for about a year. Lynch wasn't kidding when he said it was based on Philadelphia.

"Philadelphia, more than any filmmaker, influenced me. It's the sickest, most corrupt, decaying, fear-ridden city imaginable"

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mr Brightside on April 30, 2017, 02:16:38 AM
As I seem to have made you fly into a rage and rip all your Robert Smith posters off the wall, I would be willing to help you replace them. I can't send cash, though, so I can only offer the equivalent value in Corinthian football player figures. I have three Alan Shearers and six Sol Campbells.

I'll accept the three Alan Shearers but you can keep the remaining figures and stick them where the sun don't shine.  That way you'll have six arse-Sol Campbells.

Mr Brightside

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 30, 2017, 02:35:30 AM
I'll accept the three Alan Shearers but you can keep the remaining figures and stick them where the sun don't shine.  That way you'll have six arse-Sol Campbells.

You only want the white blokes, mate? Hmm . . .

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mr Brightside on April 30, 2017, 02:40:31 AM
You only want the white blokes, mate? Hmm . . .

Well, you could also shove the Alan Shearers up your arse as well, then they'd no longer be white.  Of course, I wouldn't want them after that, so maybe you have a point.

Mr Brightside

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 30, 2017, 02:52:25 AM
Well, you could also shove the Alan Shearers up your arse as well, then they'd no longer be white.  Of course, I wouldn't want them after that, so maybe you have a point.

Corinthian football figures are not that hard to get up your arse. You have to bite down on something to get the big head past your sphincter, but then it's party time. The noses hit the prostate like a motherfucker.

Anyway, to keep this thread on topic, I really like this part of the film - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmyzYBeGrE8

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 30, 2017, 12:39:46 AM
If you think Eraserhead is shit you have no right talking about film.

Let's hope you never get a job as a critic then.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on April 30, 2017, 01:25:21 AM
If you love it so much why don't you go live there?

I live in Plymouth. I already do.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Johnny Textface on April 30, 2017, 09:11:38 AM
Let's hope you never get a job as a critic then.

I don't want one. I'm just a little precious about Lynch because he helped me discover the joys of film.

Sydward Lartle

I can go both ways on Eraserhead. On the one hand, I can appreciate the production design, the photography, the sound design, the weirdness of it, the disturbing cow foetus baby thing and even the unexpected comic relief of "OKAY PAUL!" during the sequence that gives the film its name. Lynch set out to make a dream of dark and troubling things, and he did that.

On the other hand, it's emphatically not an enjoyable experience. It's easier to admire as art than it is to accept as entertainment, and the fact that it's been endlessly dissected and picked apart in minute detail by pseuds who claim anyone who dislikes the film 'doesn't get it' is another barrier I find it hard to surmount or even circumnavigate. Plus, it's just too bloody long. I can't help thinking someone like Jan Svankmajer would have boiled the central concepts down to a fifteen minute short and made it far more palatable.

NoSleep

I've always watched it as a black comedy. It has the best "boyfriend meets girlfriend's parents" scene of all time.

NoSleep

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 30, 2017, 12:41:40 AM
At the very beginning of the film, 'the man in the planet' (or should that be 'the man in the sky'?) pulls and pushes various levers.  It is his eternal duty, as it always has been and always shall be, to direct the souls of the departed to their differing and deserved destinations.

I always figured Henry was just unlucky; he was the first schmuck that steps in the puddle, then "whoosh", his entire life gets an horrific new makeover.