Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:00:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

the WORST SONG EVAH

Started by the science eel, April 30, 2017, 09:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choose three

Skunk Anansie - Selling Jesus
4 (6.2%)
Dire Straits - Walk of Life
5 (7.7%)
Deep Blue Something - Breakfast At Tiffany's
17 (26.2%)
4 Non Blondes - What's Up?
19 (29.2%)
The Beautiful South - Song For Whoever
2 (3.1%)
Shania Twain - Man! I Feel Like A Woman
6 (9.2%)
Foo Fighters - The Best Of Me
7 (10.8%)
Genesis - Invisible Touch
3 (4.6%)
Chris de Burgh - Don't Pay The Ferryman
5 (7.7%)
Guns 'n' Roses - Knockin' On Heaven's Door
7 (10.8%)
Nickelback - Rockstar
27 (41.5%)
Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl
33 (50.8%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Mr Brightside

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 01, 2017, 12:17:42 AM
Perfect by Fairground Attraction is also a perfect piece of shit.

Nowt wrong with that song.

monkfromhavana

I've just watched the video for Galway Girl - Why does the video take place mainly in Las Vegas? This makes it even worse in my book. At least be consistent, if the songs about a girl from Galway, surely there should be some, however fake or trite, Irish-theme to the video. The video has absolutely nothing to do with the song, you could play any old tune underneath it.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Mr Brightside on May 01, 2017, 12:20:34 AM
Nowt wrong with that song.

Apart from the words and the music, no.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 01, 2017, 12:23:25 AM
I've just watched the video for Galway Girl - Why does the video take place mainly in Las Vegas? This makes it even worse in my book. At least be consistent, if the songs about a girl from Galway, surely there should be some, however fake or trite, Irish-theme to the video. The video has absolutely nothing to do with the song, you could play any old tune underneath it.

You made a mistake even watching it. Here have this to help you erase Sheeran from your mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

monkfromhavana

I take it that the work of Nickleback is too obvious for this thread?

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 01, 2017, 12:47:06 AM

Yeah for real. Unfortunately Nickelback are not the worst. Kings of Leon are a far more horrific band. I fucking hate them so much.

manticore

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 01, 2017, 12:47:06 AM

Nickleback - Rockstar is in the list, second from bottom.

Dr Syntax Head

It sucks that anybody should even know these songs exist in a world where Deerhunter exist. It's a fucking crime

Puce Moment

KOL are worse because for a short time they were an interesting garage band with promise. Nickelback have always been shit.

Dr Syntax Head

Dead on. KoL really did have promise. Good musicians but so much wasted talent.

Dr Syntax Head

Sex on fire is the worst song ever made. That is a fact. I hope every single person involved in that fucking travesty dies slowly and painfully.

Dr Syntax Head

Kings of Leon make me want to listen to the Stereophonics. That's a measure of what I think of KoL.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: manticore on May 01, 2017, 01:29:08 AM
Nickleback - Rockstar is in the list, second from bottom.

Sorry, by the time I'd got halfway down the list I'd lost the will to live.

greenman

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 30, 2017, 11:05:53 PM
They do have a choice. The choice to criticise The Science Eel's middle-aged, arsenic-laced fusty hate threads.

I would have to say Song For Whoever seems an especially petty aged indie boy pick to me, that's a great pop song with a good deal of intelligence/wit to it lyrically.

the science eel

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 01, 2017, 12:23:25 AM

Perhaps that's what happens. Shoot some vapid shit (utter shit) then when the single's chosen, just cut a video from the footage to go with it.

Just skimmed through it on mute after reading this and what the fuck was that?? When you said it's in Vegas for no reason I thought it was going to be Sheeran walking around miming because he'd just played a concert there and they could knock out a quick and easy video right after.

But he's not even fucking in it, just two people hanging around, who suddenly teleport to fucking Vegas(?!) and wander round being all "Oooh don't you wish this was you and that hot boy in your class, Girl Watching This Video?" fuck off! Seriously, they break into a motel room to have a quick fuck and when they're rumbled run off banging on doors to wake people up, who are these cunts?? Who the hell watches this and thinks yeah good video

greenman

Quote from: the science eel on May 01, 2017, 09:25:07 AM
It's infantile.

Is it? a cynical look at commercial love songs?

Glebe

Those options are like Partridge's 'alternative' mix-tape - although he'd add a Spin Doctors track to make it truly the best of alternative.[nb]Although de Burgh is a little bit No-Wave.[/nb]

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 01, 2017, 10:39:40 AM
Perhaps that's what happens. Shoot some vapid shit (utter shit) then when the single's chosen, just cut a video from the footage to go with it.

Just skimmed through it on mute after reading this and what the fuck was that?? When you said it's in Vegas for no reason I thought it was going to be Sheeran walking around miming because he'd just played a concert there and they could knock out a quick and easy video right after.

But he's not even fucking in it, just two people hanging around, who suddenly teleport to fucking Vegas(?!) and wander round being all "Oooh don't you wish this was you and that hot boy in your class, Girl Watching This Video?" fuck off! Seriously, they break into a motel room to have a quick fuck and when they're rumbled run off banging on doors to wake people up, who are these cunts?? Who the hell watches this and thinks yeah good video

For the young people who like Ed Sheeran, I'm sure the natural setting of Galway or Ireland would have them WTF-ing around the internet......it's got to be Vegas, New York or the Fyre festival to get them to buy into it. It's not like if this was released in the old days when the ginger cunt would be in it, in Ireland, with a girl and maybe some footage of her playing the fiddle and looking coy.

DrGreggles

Jess
Conrad
Soccer
Superstar

the science eel

Quote from: greenman on May 01, 2017, 12:02:55 PM
Is it? a cynical look at commercial love songs?

Cynical?

I remember when I was 15 and my mates would harp on about U2 and The Smiths being 'real music' 'cos they used guitars. Like, anything with synths was 'plastic' and not 'authentic'.

This is on that level. Adolescent sneering. 'oooh they're only making music 'cos they want MONEY!'. Yeah - and? What have you got to offer?

Like, all it takes for satire in Paul Heaton's book is to list girls' names and sing them in a twee voice? It's a cheap shot and it's not even a fair representation of what goes on. And you sense that he'd give his right arm to be able to write something as great as, I don't know, 'Clair' by Gilbert O' Sullivan.

Jockice

It's Shiny Happy People, obviously. Just beating off the strong challenge of Howard Jones with Look Mama.

the science eel

'Shiny Happy People' is fucking A. I found a live rehearsal clip just recently and it was just the biz. I'll see if I can find it...

Howard Jones was a fucking charlatan and 'Look Mama' is beneath contempt.

asids

Nothing can top this utter, utter shite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLyw7jytykE

Number 1, folks. Number 1 on yer singles chart. When that happened, that's when everything started going wrong with this country.

PaulTMA

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 30, 2017, 09:31:27 PM
Loathe as I am to get involved with these horse shit threads that get repeated every couple of months

I think you'll find we have to endure them every fortnight

I don't think it's that terrible a song in itself but I'm nominating 4 Non Blondes "What's Going On" because its success led to Linda Perry becoming powerful enough to ban Sheila E (of all people) from a Prince tribute for not being 'relevant' enough.

greenman

Quote from: the science eel on May 01, 2017, 01:08:31 PM
Cynical?

I remember when I was 15 and my mates would harp on about U2 and The Smiths being 'real music' 'cos they used guitars. Like, anything with synths was 'plastic' and not 'authentic'.

This is on that level. Adolescent sneering. 'oooh they're only making music 'cos they want MONEY!'. Yeah - and? What have you got to offer?

Like, all it takes for satire in Paul Heaton's book is to list girls' names and sing them in a twee voice? It's a cheap shot and it's not even a fair representation of what goes on. And you sense that he'd give his right arm to be able to write something as great as, I don't know, 'Clair' by Gilbert O' Sullivan.

I'd say he wrote a considerably better song just in this case(and many other cases) even ignoring any lyrical content which to me seems as much self directed as critical of anyone else, not like he's never written a lovesong.

BlodwynPig

Gulftastic

There are many contenders.

A large amount of them involve Will. I. Am. in some capacity.