Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:09:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films based on previously successful sitcoms - best and worst?

Started by Sydward Lartle, May 01, 2017, 12:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

The best thing about the 70s British sitcom film is their utter bleakness. On that front both the Steptoe and Sons and Porridge are genuinely good films in their own right (especially Porridge), although its obviously hard to separate them from their TV show counterparts. More love for the second Steptoe film here too, the first is probably the better film but the second is so weird and grimy and dark. It always bothered me that the house was different though.

Glebe

Watched both Alf Garnett movies on YouTube a little while ago, good value for money. Even the second one is watchable, despite Una Stubbs and Tony Booth being unavailable and replaced with fairly dull stand-ins.

I believe Tank Girl creators Jamie Hewlett and Alan Martin were big fans of Please Sir!, I'd have to go back and take a look but I think there were references to it in the early comics (alongside references to lots of British cultural things that the US publishers/film adaptation studio obviously weren't too keen on).

Still haven't gotten round to seeing The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse. Filmed here in Dublin on the cheap.

That George and Mildred film is up on YouTube, but I never got past the opening minutes...

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Glebe on May 04, 2017, 04:41:43 PM
That George and Mildred film is up on YouTube, but I never got past the opening minutes...

It's fucking horrible. It was a box office disaster, largely because the alcohol-related death of Yootha Joyce effectively killed its chances, but also because it's an incredibly shit film. I really like the series, though.

biggytitbo

The Likely Lads film is not bad either. Expanding out a bit, because I think these two are as much films as any of the others (they're both film length and shot entirely on film) - Only Fools and Horses: To Hull and Back and Last of the Summer Wine: Getting Sam Home are two of the best british comedies full stop, imo.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on May 04, 2017, 12:59:47 PM
comedy 'foreign setting' (Costa Plonker, if you ruddy well please)

As cheesy and as naff as it sounds, Costa Plonka (with an 'A' remaining faithful to the film) is a name that never fails to make me laugh. Costa Plonka. You take the rest of the day off after coming up with that.

Coincidentally enough I watched The Likely Lads film again last night and it's definitely well above most other 1970s sitcoms turned films. There's a bit of running around with trousers around their ankles which is a sign of the times but it's a solid feature-length episode and sits nicely with the series that preceded it.

the science eel

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on May 04, 2017, 06:45:02 PM
As cheesy and as naff as it sounds, Costa Plonka (with an 'A' remaining faithful to the film) is a name that never fails to make me laugh. Costa Plonka. You take the rest of the day off after coming up with that.

What's the Carry On film where they make the hotel owner sound like 'a greasy Dago' by having him stick an 's' on the end of every other word?

Sydward Lartle

Carry On Abroad. "Holdings please, welcomings to hotels."

the science eel

Yes!

Dreadful rubbish but that always give me a chuckle.

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 04, 2017, 11:20:49 PM
Carry On Abroad. "Holdings please, welcomings to hotels."

Was that the one where they visit a Spanish fair, and Charles Hawtrey gets chased out of one building without us seeing what happened inside, though he is followed out by an angry Spanish woman complaining he tried to play 'leap-frog' with her and shouting, 'Pig-a pork-a,' at him.  That scene made me laugh.

Sydward Lartle

That's the one. I'd describe the finest Carry On films as 'a fantastic load of old shit'.