Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,351
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:55:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fucking itunes! Any decent free alternative out there?

Started by Ringside, May 01, 2017, 04:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringside

So I've quite happily used iTunes for some time now, just to download the odd podcast and drag stuff onto my iPod Touch. I went to use it tonight and I had to update it, so update it I did, and now the cunting thing won't work, it says there's some software missing and to reinstall it. I'm tired of deleting and reinstalling at this point.

I tried a couple of suggestions I found, no joy. Also tried a couple of alternatives which were either trials or shit.

Can anyone offer some help or solace?

Cheers!

Dr Rock

I've asked this, and never found an alternative I preferred. Turn notifications and updates off. You can also revert to iTunes 10 if you look for the method on the internet. Every 'improvement' since then has made it worse.

olliebean

The trouble is, everything capable of syncing with an iOS device needs iTunes installed to be able to do so. I gave up on iTunes a while back, having never managed to successfully install an update without having to completely uninstall it and reinstall from scratch. Instead,I uploaded all my music to Google Play Music, from which I can stream or download it onto my device as required.

As for podcasts, you can download them directly with the iOS Podcasts app, no iTunes required.

If you want a PC based iTunes-like music player and organizer, MusicBee is awesome. I don't think it will sync with iOS, though.

Dr Rock

Google Play is good - I'm using it right now at the gym. But it only holds 50 000 songs doesn't It? What about if you've got loads more than that like what I have?

BlodwynPig

I can no longer sync itunes to my iphone as I'm still using Windows XP on a smashed laptop.

Blue Jam

From the last Popbitch email:

Quote>> Falling Apple <<
     Down with downloads

How soon until we bid farewell
   to iTunes? There's word doing
   the rounds in tech circles that
   Apple is looking to shake the
   iconic brand loose as they try
   to coax people into signing up
   to their persistently stagnant
   Apple Music brand instead.

This week they started the
   rebrand of podcasts, with all
   new podcast material dropping
   the word "iTunes" in favour
   of "Apple Podcasts".

Some think they're so hellbent
   on pushing people on to their
   subscription-based service
   that the whole iTunes store
   might be on the chopping block.
   If so, be ready to say goodbye
   to downloaded music.

Maybe sit tight and wait until Apple finally scrap it... or get an Android phone instead. I'll be doing the latter soon.

Consignia

I use CopyTrans Manager. It's not too brilliant, but gets the job done. I don't really use my iPod much anymore, Play Music is better for most of my use cases, but the iPod interacts with my car better.

olliebean

Quote from: Special K on May 01, 2017, 01:27:32 PM
What about Floola? http://www.floola.com/home/

Yep, like all the others, requires iTunes to be installed. Although technically I think it only needs the device drivers, so will probably work even if iTunes doesn't.

Ringside

Well I tried a couple of different tools, either didn't work or were trials...and with itunes being free, I didn't want to pay for something else.

I attempted another couple of "fixes", which ended up giving me more trouble than I initially had, so during a spell of insomnia (not really insomnia, I've fucked my foot up and couldn't sleep due to pain), I ended up just formatting my computer and starting fresh. Everything works again now.

I'd been wanting to do it for a while but couldn't be arsed.

Cheers all.

DrGreggles

I use MediaMonkey.
Works as a media library and podcast downloady thing perfectly, without having a lower case vowel in front of its name.
Syncs with all devices, regardless of who makes them.
The activation code for the full version can be found easily enough too for the 'Gold' version.

And I like monkeys.