Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:30:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Pauses In Songs

Started by Dr Rock, May 01, 2017, 08:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Here's one off the top of my head. Please name some others.

Dexys Midnight Runners - This Is What She's Like
https://youtu.be/xXh19wfJT3Q

break around the 2 minute mark innit. It just comes in so fucking loud.

I had some others but I forgot them.

thraxx

Supergrass were great at this (once). The little choked pause in Strange Ones, before they repeat the verse. Such a wonderful touch.

Serge

'Borrowed Time' by Parquet Courts has two pauses (0:57 and 1:54) made all the more glorious by the fact that between 'Master Of My Craft' (which precedes it on 'Light Up Gold') and this song there is no pause whatsoever.

Hugh Jass

Rolf Lundgren

The pause in Millionaire by Queens of the Stone Age. Then it kicks in with a big HUHHHHHH.

I was on a train listening to that and when the pause happened the automated message over the train speaker system said 'Now approaching Finsbury's Park, the next station's stop will be Stevenage' and then the music immediately kicked in again. It was one of those perfectly choreographed moments that made me want to shout to everyone on the train to make sure they realised what had just happened. Couldn't have timed it better if I tried.

Mr Banlon

Brundle-Fly

the science eel

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 01, 2017, 08:53:49 PM
XTC - Neon Shuffle (live versh) 1977

(at 1:00 mark)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVsco1JFICI

Jesus fucking God that's one of the worst things I have ever heard or seen.

What an absolute bunch of cockends.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: the science eel on May 01, 2017, 08:55:15 PM
Jesus fucking God that's one of the worst things I have ever heard or seen.

What an absolute bunch of cockends.

Yes, I'm on the ropes with that opinion , Eel.

wosl

Olarrio

The pause in Ma Meeshka Mow Skwoz by Mr Bungle is... terrifying on first listen.

buzby

New Order - The Him (pauses apart from a synth drone between 3:48 and 4:05)
Roxy Music - In Every Dream home a Heartache (fades out at 4:10 and fades back in 10 seconds later)
The Strokes - Hard To Explain (stops for a couple of seconds at 2:05 and then repeats the music from the first 2 minutes)
Pet Shop Boys - Heart (pauses briefly at 3:56 before resuming the coda)
KLF - What Time Is Love (Live At The SSL) (brief pause at 2:38 with the record stop sound before resuming with the Wanda Dee sample)
Sia - Breathe Me (2:42 - caught lots of her newer fans out when she started singing it again on her recent tour)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on May 01, 2017, 08:33:38 PM
The pause in Millionaire by Queens of the Stone Age. Then it kicks in with a big HUHHHHHH.
So good, they did it three songs later on the same album. www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrA2KLtAn1A

Two on "Please Please Me" alone - The pause in "Love Me Do", and the one in "There's a Place". Not quite sublime, but pauses that say "we're here boys, and we mean business. You can stop listening to Cliff and the Shadows now"

armful

Quote from: Serge on May 01, 2017, 08:27:02 PM
'Borrowed Time' by Parquet Courts has two pauses (0:57 and 1:54) made all the more glorious by the fact that between 'Master Of My Craft' (which precedes it on 'Light Up Gold') and this song there is no pause whatsoever.

I completely forgot about the album this song is from. Got it on iTunes then me phone died, must buy again

lazyhour

The pause in the Beach Boys' Little Girl I Once Knew was so excessive that radio stations wouldn't play the track.

purlieu

Archive - The Weight of the World. One of those that made me think the song had ended for about the first twenty listens, it's so convincing.

gilbertharding

I'm going to nominate Chain That Door by Mudhoney. I hope it counts...

SteveDave

A bit obvious maybe but the pause after the "Ahhhhhhhhh" towards the end of "Good Vibrations"

It's like the moment before a rollercoaster does it's business.

Norton Canes

Dr Rock

Norton Canes

Number one in a field of one!

studpuppet

HMHB in "Look Dad, Not Tunes", just before

I think we'd better let him in
I heard he's got a theremin

Hat FM

'Novocaine for the soul' by eels. can't link right now as i'm at work but its great.

Dr Rock

Ween - The Fucked Jam

Several. But especially the last two.

https://youtu.be/aa8t1iroi9Q

Crabwalk

I think my absolute favourite is at 0.48 in 'Political Song for Michael Jackson to Sing' by Minutemen

dex

Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters. Simple but effective.

The Beach Boys were masters at this.  Apart from the already mentioned Little Girl I Once Knew and Good Vibrations, there is this absolute stonker from Drive-In at 1:11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgncvjY-d2w

DrGreggles

Sabotage by the Beasties.