Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:51:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Birmingham CaB Meet - Saturday 3 June

Started by Lost Oliver, May 02, 2017, 12:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Oliver

Where: Broad St Wetherspoons
When: Saturday 3 June
How: Just go there
Why: For a laugh
Who: Us
What: Drink and eggs

Who's coming?

And what time do these things normally kick off?

Norton Canes

Icehaven

There seems to be someone there from 3ish normally but I'll be more like 5, mainly because if I start drinking at 3 I'll be out of my tiny mind by 7.30. 

Lost Oliver

I'm just a primitive creature of the heath so excuse my savage ignorance, but if I'm still on my feet at four o'clock, I'll be stealing the lead off the roof.

Serge

If I haven't been under the knife by the time the 3rd rolls around, I'll be there.

tookish

Oooh, I'll definitely try to be there. My birthday is the day after, so if any of you lurkers are murderers, do it to me before midnight so I don't have to turn twenty-six.

BRen

I'll be in attendance for this one too, making a debut appearance.

monkfromhavana

I might come too, If I'm not too much of a scaredy cat.

Norton Canes

OK, I'll confess to being a tiny bit confused. I always thought that when hotel chains used the term 'budget' to describe the affordability of their accommodation they meant perhaps the budget of a typical office worker, a mid-level professional with a shitload of other financial outgoings to consider before they get round to forking out on nights way in exotic cosmopolitan destinations such as Birmingham. 'Budget' - as in 'cheap', yeah? Sorry, no. It transpires that they in fact mean the budget of a high-level executive who, even after burning through his regular monthly expenses, still has stacks of cash to throw at hotels in the hope of securing a room.

This is the only conclusion I can reach anyway, having realised after visiting scores of hotel booking sites that it is impossible to get a room even in a 'budget' hotel anywhere near Birmingham city centre for less then three figures. If I want to break that magic £100 barrier then I am directed to alternative locations such as Wolverhampton, Walsall and West Bromwich which, though their mellifluous dialects are similar to that used in the teeming metropolis of Birmingham itself, are hardly on the doorstep of the fucking Rotunda. I'm even being told that I must hand over a hundred and twenty pounds for the privilege of a night in one of the windowless cells that pass for a room in an EasyHotel. Preposterously overpriced - though admittedly I do like the idea of both my toilet and bathroom being in a glass cubicle by the side of my bed. 

This seems to be becoming a bit of a theme with Cab meets, doesn't it. The Manchester meet a few months ago unfortunately coincided with the arrival of Simon Cowell and his X-Factor auditions, meaning that sacks of hen's teeth were being traded on the streets of the city for less than the price of a hotel room. I have no idea what loathsome horde is descending on Birmingham on the 3rd June, but they've clearly done some serious block booking. Coincidence, again? Or is someone working actively to prevent Verbwhores coming together in large numbers (or as a triumvirate as seems likely in this case).

If I'm missing an obvious reason for every hotel costing so much, you'll have to excuse my naivety - I'm not used to booking budget accommodation. If anyone can point me in the direction of a flophouse with a room up for grabs that has a tolerable approach to cleanliness and doesn't require me to actually take out a second fucking mortgage, I would be eternally grateful.

Icehaven

You can sleep on my floor if you like. I live about 1 mile out of the city centre and charge exactly nothing for accommodation.

Norton Canes

Are you sure? You've only just kicked one unhinged weirdo out your house.

OK, thanks. There'll be enough space for my orthopaedic commode, yeah?

Mr Brightside

Quote from: icehaven on May 07, 2017, 10:03:42 PM
You can sleep on my floor if you like. I live about 1 mile out of the city centre and charge exactly nothing for accommodation.

Hi. I won't be attending any meets, but I'm up for this. PM me your address. Cheers.

Icehaven

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 07, 2017, 10:56:06 PM
Are you sure? You've only just kicked one unhinged weirdo out your house.

OK, thanks. There'll be enough space for my orthopaedic commode, yeah?

Arg, problem, (and it isn't the commode), I've PM'd you.

Icehaven

Just bumping this is case Norton hasn't seen it/my PM yet. Sorry about that mate, and do try B&Bs, they're bound to be cheaper than hotels but possibly aren't on the comparison sites etc.

dmillburn

Norton, if you don't mind a single bed in a mixed dorm then there's a place called Hatters in the Jewellery Quarter which is dirt cheap but very clean and nice (think it was £25 or so last time a friend stayed there), otherwise there is loads of b&bs for around £50 (comparison sites like lodging world or late rooms will show a few of these so you might find one without having to ring around). Don't be put off if you aren't in the city centre either, buses run late and a few routes run all night. There's absolutely loads of decent air b'n'b places for £30 or under too.

In terms of actual proper hotels, the Formule 1 at Boardsley Circus is the cheapest I know if there's any availability but is a bit grim (so grim that my mate went straight back out and next door to the Ibis when he saw the state of the place).

Norton Canes

Hi people, sorry, distracted by an ill child today (my own, it's OK)

Ta for the suggestions, I'll give them a go.

Serge

There seem to be two Wetherspoons on Broad Street....which one is the meet going to be at? I'm going to try and swap shifts and work some shenanigans with the rota to try and get away early, so I could be in Birmingham for about 2.30-3, which is about the usual meet kicking off time, I guess. Again, with the proviso that I'm not in hospital at this point.

Icehaven

Quote from: Serge on May 14, 2017, 12:58:33 PM
There seem to be two Wetherspoons on Broad Street....which one is the meet going to be at? I'm going to try and swap shifts and work some shenanigans with the rota to try and get away early, so I could be in Birmingham for about 2.30-3, which is about the usual meet kicking off time, I guess. Again, with the proviso that I'm not in hospital at this point.

Yaay! It's the actual Spoons, the other one is a Lloyds no.1.

Icehaven

Apparently there may be a Leeds meet the same day...Fight!

Serge

As I mentioned over in the other thread, I'm not going to be in hospital before the meet now (well.....I'm not planning to be, etc), so I will be able to make this. Have also managed to rearrange my rota to get away early. Should get to Birmingham for about three. So I'll see you all there!

Also, bumping as this is only just over a week away.

Lost Oliver

I've been without internet for a week which has been nice so just want to confirm I'm still up for this and will be attending.

Icehaven

Yep I'll be there, it was touch and go for a moment due to band stuff but I'll be there. Just to confirm too, it's the Figure of Eight, (the actual Spoons) rather than the Soloman Cutler (which is a wrong Spoons) isn't it?

Serge

Yep, looking forward to this. The hospital has bought my meeting with the consultant forward to this Tuesday, but I'd say it's still fairly unlikely at this point that I'm likely to have my op before this weekend. So yeah, I'll be there between 3-4.

Serge

Bumping this up the front page again, as it's only three days away. Any other Midlands 'whores up for it?

BRen

I will also still be attending, looking forward to it!

Lost Oliver

What time do people normally arrive at these things and how do I know for certain a group I spot is CaB and not a hair loss support group?

Icehaven

I think some have said they'll be there from 3/4ish (tbh the earlier the better in that pub to be sure of getting a table).
As for your second question, you'll know.

Serge

My train should get to Birmingham for around 3, so I'll be there in as much time as it takes me to walk from the station to the pub. Looks like a 5-10 minute walk?

weekender

I was considering attending this as a surprise attendee, but I'm manning the children's stall at a local hospital fête.