Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,327
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:14:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

EUROVISION 2017

Started by Morrison Lard, May 05, 2017, 08:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was your An tSaoi?

Israel
0 (0%)
Poland
1 (3.8%)
Belarus
1 (3.8%)
Austria
0 (0%)
Armenia
4 (15.4%)
Netherlands
3 (11.5%)
Moldova
3 (11.5%)
Hungary
1 (3.8%)
Italy
4 (15.4%)
Denmark
1 (3.8%)
Portugal
4 (15.4%)
Azerbaijan
6 (23.1%)
Croatia
4 (15.4%)
Australia
0 (0%)
Greece
3 (11.5%)
Spain
0 (0%)
Norway
0 (0%)
UK
3 (11.5%)
Cyprus
0 (0%)
Romania
3 (11.5%)
Germany
0 (0%)
Ukraine
0 (0%)
Belgium
7 (26.9%)
Sweden
2 (7.7%)
Bulgaria
1 (3.8%)
France
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

manticore

Quote from: MoonDust on May 14, 2017, 03:31:08 PM
I don't know why but I bloody loved weird Portuguese man from Stop Making Sense.

I actually voted for him. First time I've ever voted in eurovision. 15p well spent!

Good man.

machotrouts

If I were a nation, and I'm doing quite well on a diet at the moment so I'm not having that, I'd have thrown Portugal a point or two for novelty value – it's not as though there were actually 10 songs I liked this year – but I'd have immediately asked to rescind it upon his winning speech. Wanking about "disposable fast food music" indeed. Pop snob at Eurovision. To fuck with that. I'll get more meaningful long term enjoyment out of the Moldova saxophone wedding nonsense. It's like James Arthur winning X Factor all over again.

Still at least he has a debilitating heart condition.

Norton Canes

DrGreggles

Norton Canes

That's why I linked to the video and not Saturday's performance.

DrGreggles

It doesn't improve the song.

asids

Quote from: machotrouts on May 14, 2017, 04:08:55 PM
If I were a nation, and I'm doing quite well on a diet at the moment so I'm not having that, I'd have thrown Portugal a point or two for novelty value – it's not as though there were actually 10 songs I liked this year – but I'd have immediately asked to rescind it upon his winning speech. Wanking about "disposable fast food music" indeed. Pop snob at Eurovision. To fuck with that. I'll get more meaningful long term enjoyment out of the Moldova saxophone wedding nonsense. It's like James Arthur winning X Factor all over again.

Still at least he has a debilitating heart condition.

Yeah. I didn't actually mind that much until he came out with that. Some people have tried to defend it with "Oh, things get lost in translation", but he speaks perfectly good English and he literally said that him winning was a "victory for music that actually means something". Good going demeaning the value of everyone else who performed then, especially when the slogan for Eurovision this year was to "celebrate diversity". Does he want every song to be like his? (you know, the one that his sister actually wrote?)

An example would be Italy's song, that despite being an upbeat pop song, actually seems to have quite a bit of depth behind it, about Western vs Eastern culture and such. It certainly seems more interesting and ultimately meaningful than the ballad he did.

chand

Eurovision definitely a weird place to out yourself as a music snob, especially when you're singing someone else's tune anyway.

I hate all that 'real music' nonsense, much as I love loads of niche shit I'm not gonna tell people they're stupid for listening to something fun.

Bronzy

The homeless Portuguese snob complains about "disposable fast food music" while taking part in Eurovision. Hmm. That's like me going to a local Sunday league football game and complaining that the players aren't very good.

It's Eurovision, mate. You clearly aren't good enough to become a singer in your own right otherwise you almost certainly wouldn't be on Eurovision.

Birdie

Well, I didn't know everyone was back on here and am gutted I missed sharing the final with you all.

Haven't read all the way through but has anyone nominated the Katrina off of Katrina and the Waves as most awkward moment of the night? Bad enough that the hosts failed to mention who she was and her Eurovision win, despite have refered to every other judge's competition background, but then to say basically 'we don't remember you because you are so old' was adding insult to injury. Mind you she did look pretty fed up anyway.

Portugal eh? Music that matters? He's as much a novelty act as anyone else.

manticore

Quote from: Birdie on May 16, 2017, 02:06:02 AM
Portugal eh? Music that matters? He's as much a novelty act as anyone else.

I have read that he's a singer in the tradition of the fado. I don't know if that's true. I don't see what's such a novelty about a simple, gentle, lilting ballad. In his own language too.

Also I read this on his wikipedia page -

QuoteSobral drew attention to the European migrant crisis by attending the first semi-final winners' press conference in an 'S.O.S. Refugees' shirt.[15] "If I'm here and I have European exposure, the least thing I can do is a humanitarian message," he said. "People come to Europe in plastic boats and are being asked to show their birth certificates in order to enter a country. These people are not immigrants, they're refugees running from death. Make no mistake. There is so much bureaucratic stuff happening in the refugee camps in Greece, Turkey and Italy and we should help create legal and safe pathways from these countries to their destiny countries," he added, earning a round of applause.[16]

Later the EBU imposed a ban preventing him from wearing the shirt for the remainder of the contest.[17] The EBU argued that Sobral's shirt was being used as a "political message", violating the rules of the contest.[17] Sobral argued at his winners' press conference, however, that it held a humanitarian message, not political one.[18]