Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:04:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Best Punk Song ever?

Started by armful, May 06, 2017, 02:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armful

The Best Punk Song ever?

In my opinion Its EMI by the Sex Pistols . The guitar riff is rocking, the vocals of Johnny Rotten never sounded better than on this song.  A young band openly slagging off a  major record label  may not seem much  now but I bet it was refreshing for the youth of the late 70s. This tune is just amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlFcrtVnfXg

A close second would be  ( You say you don't love me ) by the Buzzcocks

Special  shout out to the Adverts for having the best outro  on any punk song on One Chord Wonders "The wonders don't care - we don't give a damn."

What say you ?

the science eel

Good choices.

For me, half the first Clash album would qualify. That's an amazing record.

'God Save The Queen' is sort of the ultimate, isn't it?

DrGreggles

Johnny Yesno

manticore

What Do I Get? by the Buzzcocks. One of the best love songs ever written.

Morrison Lard

"Ma Sylvester's Apple Crumble Pie" by Terry And The Idiots

armful

Quote from: the science eel on May 06, 2017, 02:36:30 PM
Good choices.

For me, half the first Clash album would qualify. That's an amazing record.

'God Save The Queen' is sort of the ultimate, isn't it?

God Save the Queen is an amazing tune, love the no future chant at the end

armful

Quote from: manticore on May 06, 2017, 03:00:39 PM
What Do I Get? by the Buzzcocks. One of the best love songs ever written.

The Buzzcocks  back  in the day were masters of the Punk Love song  ( Promises  )  (Love you More) 
( I don't mind )  ( Why cant I touch  it ?)  These songs comforted me through  many a youthful crush. 

Jockice

Quote from: armful on May 06, 2017, 03:14:26 PM

The Buzzcocks  back  in the day were masters of the Punk Love song  ( Promises  )  (Love you More) 
( I don't mind )  ( Why cant I touch  it ?)  These songs comforted me through  many a youthful crush.

Promises is my second-favourite single of all time, behind Here Comes The Summer by The Undertones. Those bands helped me through my adolescence and short of one of them murdering my entire family I can't think of anything that would ever stop me loving them.

Glyn

Another vote for God Save the Queen here. One of those few times where a song that became a cliche in historical context still sounds blistering on each listen.

Would also chuck in:

Remote Control - The Clash
Johnny Was - Stiff Little Fingers (one of my favourite intros ever)
Identity - Xray Spex
Public Image - PIL
New Rose - The Damned
Pump it up - Elvis Costello and the Attractions

Possiby into  New Wave territory with some sorry!

armful

Quote from: Jockice on May 06, 2017, 03:20:11 PM
Promises is my second-favourite single of all time, behind Here Comes The Summer by The Undertones. Those bands helped me through my adolescence and short of one of them murdering my entire family I can't think of anything that would ever stop me loving them.

Ive never really heard much of the Undertones  I should really check them out.

But the Buzzcocks are probally my fave punk band. Saw them  at the Manchester Acedamy a few years ago, a very good show. Diggle still looks late 40s which  is quite an achievement considering all the drugs he has taken   

armful

Quote from: Glyn on May 06, 2017, 03:22:56 PM
Another vote for God Save the Queen here. One of those few times where a song that became a cliche in historical context still sounds blistering on each listen.

Would also chuck in:

Remote Control - The Clash
Johnny Was - Stiff Little Fingers (one of my favourite intros ever)
Identity - Xray Spex
Public Image - PIL
New Rose - The Damned
Pump it up - Elvis Costello and the Attractions

Possiby into  New Wave territory with some sorry!

The Drums on New Rose are something else aren't they?  Great Punk single that .

purlieu

Glebe

I'd really have to think it over, but SLF's 'Alternative Ulster' is worth a shout.

armful

Quote from: Glebe on May 06, 2017, 04:28:48 PM
I'd really have to think it over, but SLF's 'Alternative Ulster' is worth a shout.

Good song that

wosl

'Rock 'n' roll' punk: Neat Neat Neat.

'Art' punk: Dot Dash.

3D

God Save The Queen by the Pistols. If it was performed on television tonight for the very first time the entire nation would still say "What. The. Fuck." and the front pages would be cleared to condemn it.

It's visceral and brilliant and makes me as proud to be a Brit as the other version.

marquis_de_sad

Human Fly is the ultimate for me. Repetitive rock'n'roll riffs, feedback, perverted lyrics celebrating filth. An atmosphere of menace. Pure scumbag arrogance.

Jockice

Quote from: armful on May 06, 2017, 03:32:12 PM
Ive never really heard much of the Undertones  I should really check them out.

But the Buzzcocks are probally my fave punk band. Saw them  at the Manchester Acedamy a few years ago, a very good show. Diggle still looks late 40s which  is quite an achievement considering all the drugs he has taken

Was that the time when the original (with Howard Devot), hit-making and current line-up all did a set? If so I was there. It was great.

The thing about them and The Undertones is that they were both superb pop groups who just happened to be around at the time of and influenced by punk. But they'd have been superb pop groups no matter during what period of musical history they were formed.

If you want something a bit more hardcore however, how about this?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIIi93ygYTM

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: 3D on May 06, 2017, 06:14:26 PM
God Save The Queen by the Pistols. If it was performed on television tonight for the very first time the entire nation would still say "What. The. Fuck." and the front pages would be cleared to condemn it.

It's visceral and brilliant and makes me as proud to be a Brit as the other version.

Ha! So the 'original' GSTQ makes you proud to be British?!

armful

Quote from: Jockice on May 06, 2017, 08:25:35 PM
Was that the time when the original (with Howard Devot), hit-making and current line-up all did a set? If so I was there. It was great.

The thing about them and The Undertones is that they were both superb pop groups who just happened to be around at the time of and influenced by punk. But they'd have been superb pop groups no matter during what period of musical history they were formed.

If you want something a bit more hardcore however, how about this?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIIi93ygYTM

Sadly  it wasn't the show with Devto  . It was still a good show  mind you ,  they  had the Members supporting.  I felt very sorry for them  as the audience only seemed to  move for Sound of the suburbs and   ignored the rest of their set

Ill check that link when I'm not at work   :-)

Jockice

Quote from: armful on May 06, 2017, 08:39:43 PM

Ill check that link when I'm not at work   :-)

It's safe. I defy you to be able to make out a single word.

armful

Quote from: Jockice on May 06, 2017, 08:50:39 PM
It's safe. I defy you to be able to make out a single word.

Thats quite cool, what part of the world do  they hail from  ?

Mr Banlon

Jockice

Quote from: armful on May 06, 2017, 08:59:11 PM
Thats quite cool, what part of the world do  they hail from  ?

Wsshington DC I do believe

kngen

Oh Armful, I almost envy you getting to experience Bad Brains for the first time - here they are in their prime at CBGBs in 1982 being one of the best and most exciting bands - punk or otherwise - in the history of music.

But the answer to the OP is obviously Sonic Reducer by the Dead Boys.

easytarget

betting without pop-punk : Attitude by The Misfits

otherwise: The Longest Line by NOFX

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" Rat Trap " by the Boomtown Rats. They appeared on " Top Of The Pops " performing this song, ripping up posters of John Travolta, plucked from " Look In " magazine, and yawning whilst ripping.
They also had a band member benamedJohnny Pyjamas, who played piano, whilst clad in Pyjamas.  Now I think about it, he may have been named Johnny Fingers, due to his having fingers on his hands. But the whole Punk ethos still remains.
So, yes, the Rats group.Proper punks.