Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:37:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Guy Ritchie's (Pearly) King Arthur

Started by SavageHedgehog, May 07, 2017, 02:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrunkCountry

My bro-in-law, after walking out half way through, was incandescent with rage about the real problem with the film:

https://audioboom.com/posts/5936513-an-absolute-insult

#newpageinhistory

TheWoodenSpoon

Beckham. David fucking Beckham. Why.

greenman

Quote from: DrunkCountry on May 19, 2017, 04:08:59 PM
My bro-in-law, after walking out half way through, was incandescent with rage about the real problem with the film:

#newpageinhistory

I can't help but imagine Partridge nerviously trying to change the subject after that having previously regaled us with a short publicity lunch conversation he had with Ritchie in 2009 abotu the merits of different sat nav systems in which they were in close agreement.

DrunkCountry

Quote from: greenman on May 19, 2017, 06:57:16 PM
I can't help but imagine Partridge nerviously trying to change the subject after that having previously regaled us with a short publicity lunch conversation he had with Ritchie in 2009 abotu the merits of different sat nav systems in which they were in close agreement.

Funnily enough, the same show host interviewed Aiden Gillen the day before about the film &, earlier in my b-i-l's review, she was at pains to try & calm his anger down but he countered that Gillen could always pop over to the studio & he'd have have a word.

saltysnacks

I hate Guy Ritchie, I had to sit through both Snatch and Lock, Stock with my friends. Absolute ladddy tosh.

Mini

This can't be worse than Revolver, can it? Can anything?

phantom_power

Ritchie is alright when he is humble but success goes to his head. I think Lock, Stock... and Snatch are decent enough films but then he gets cocky and makes the one-two clusterfuck of Revolver and Swept Away. Tail between his legs and ego deflated a bit he makes the pretty decent Rock'n'Rolla and very entertaining Sherlock Holmes. A bit way from last time but still unable to resist the lure of the bighead he shits the bed a bit with Sherlock 2 and now seems to have gone full Swept Away with this one.

kidsick5000

I reckon it's that old devil the budget again

Both Ritchie and Matthew Vaughn (his partner in crime back in the day) are brilliant when they have to think around problems rather than throw money at them.

But unlike the horror genre guys (like Raimi, Jackson and Gun) who know how to stretch money when they get it, Ritchie goes for ridiculous elephants.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: DrunkCountry on May 19, 2017, 04:08:59 PM

#newpageinhistory

I watched this today, thought it was alright, providing you're prepared to countenance Ritchie's usual style.

As for airbrushing the Welsh, I was under the impression that the legend of King Arthur was entirely French in its origin, just appropriated by the English (whoops!) and Welsh, apparently.

DrunkCountry

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on August 13, 2017, 05:22:45 PM
I watched this today, thought it was alright, providing you're prepared to countenance Ritchie's usual style.

As for airbrushing the Welsh, I was under the impression that the legend of King Arthur was entirely French in its origin, just appropriated by the English (whoops!) and Welsh, apparently.

Cultural copyright hysteria is one of the funniest things my fellow countrymen excel in.