Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Question:Do Christopher Nolan films take longer to turn up on TV?

Started by Talulah, really!, May 08, 2017, 07:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talulah, really!

As far as I recall Inception (2010) hasn't been on normal terrestial tv yet (your basic BBC 1, 2, ITV, C4, C5) has it? I'm fairly certain The Dark Knight Rises (2012) hasn't either.

Most films turn up after three years nowadays don't they? Room for instant was on C4 a few weeks back and was only in cinema in 2016, the first Guardians of the Galaxy was on the other week.

Is there some special reason Nolan's films are atypical? Or does this happen with any other director/film series?

mothman

The Dark Knight (the second Batman) was first on the Christmas before last, which feels like a long time after its release.

Shit Good Nose

I suspect it's less specifically to do with them being Nolan films and more to do with whomever has the rights to show them at the moment and how much those rights cost.

Iron Man 2, for example, only had its terrestrial premiere last year, whilst 3 had already been on several times.

buzby

Quote from: mothman on May 08, 2017, 08:35:37 AM
The Dark Knight (the second Batman) was first on the Christmas before last, which feels like a long time after its release.
It might be something to do with Sky having exclusive UK rights for a period before it can be shown on FTA/terrestrial. For example, The Dark Knight premiered on ITV on New Years Day 2015. RTE premiered The Dark Night Rises the same christmas (they had premiered The Dark Knight a couple of years before).

Dr Rock

It really annoys me that for whatever reasons (rights/deal/cost I assume) some films are on all the time (Bond films, The Mummy Returns, even Pulp Fiction) while others  - many brilliant films - have not been on TV to my knowledge for about ten years or more. And you're lucky to see anything made before 1990 too. Not sure about Christopher Nolan films especially.

buzby

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 08, 2017, 08:59:58 AM
It really annoys me that for whatever reasons (rights/deal/cost I assume) some films are on all the time (Bond films, The Mummy Returns, even Pulp Fiction) while others  - many brilliant films - have not been on TV to my knowledge for about ten years or more. And you're lucky to see anything made before 1990 too. Not sure about Christopher Nolan films especially.
Terrestrial film rights are usually sold for a set period of time, number of showings or a combination of both (that's why you tend to get the same film shown over and over again on ITV2). Regarding older films, the rights holders are a lot more protective over their old films nowadays, in some cases because they have their own channels to show them on (Warners have TCM for their and MGM's library and Sony have their own movie channel, for example). I think old films used to be a lot cheaper to licence the rights for than they are now because of this.

Thor is on all the bloody time, that's for sure. Never going to watch it 

Some directors certainly used to have enough clout to keep their films off the telly (Spielberg/Lucas not allowing ET or Empire Strikes Back to be shown for the best part of a decade) but not sure how it works now. I doubt they have that power anymore.

Disney cartoon films were never on. They made a killing from the VHS sales and I suppose it would have ruined that.

Glebe

That's an interesting one, Taluhah, I remember waiting with interest to see when both TDK and TDKR would turn up on terrestrial TV... same with The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit... I reckon one reason the LOTR films didn't get many screenings at first is because of their length, but with your endless ITVs, and so many big films being excessively long nowadays anyway, they seem to turn up more - Fellowship was on just recently, and they seem to run at least the first two Hobbit movies now and again. Oddly, and a fellow mick can correct me here if I'm wrong, but I think none of the LOTR movies has ever screened on Irish TV!

Ha ha, the Hot Fuzz tag... I can never resist watching it no matter how many times they show it!

mothman

*bows* Kudos also to whomever did the Prestige tag - it is a Nolan film that's on quite often. But I like it. Though it comes to something when Christian Bale's cockney accent is worse than David Bowie's... what was Tesla again? Hungarian? Czech? ... one.

asids

Quote from: Glebe on May 08, 2017, 11:59:10 PM
That's an interesting one, Taluhah, I remember waiting with interest to see when both TDK and TDKR would turn up on terrestrial TV... same with The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit... I reckon one reason the LOTR films didn't get many screenings at first is because of their length, but with your endless ITVs, and so many big films being excessively long nowadays anyway, they seem to turn up more - Fellowship was on just recently, and they seem to run at least the first two Hobbit movies now and again. Oddly, and a fellow mick can correct me here if I'm wrong, but I think none of the LOTR movies has ever screened on Irish TV!

Ha ha, the Hot Fuzz tag... I can never resist watching it no matter how many times they show it!

Jackson's King Kong, which probably goes on for about 4 hours when you include the ads, gets put on all the time and was on again just about a month ago. So I don't think they consider length much of an issue.

Bad Ambassador

It comes down to which channel is signed with which studio.

ITV has deals with Warners and Universal, with the latter owning King Kong and the Working Title catalogue - though not The World's End, which keeps showing up on Channel 4 - while Warners covers Tolkien and Nolan. It could be Sky holding onto the rights to the latter that has kept TDKR and Inception off screens till now.

The Marvel split is because they were distributed by Paramount until The Avengers, when Disney took over. This is why Iron Man 1 and 2 and the first Thor and Captain America films are on Channel 4 and the rest are on the BBC, which has the Disney contract. The exception is The Incredible Hulk - released by Universal and shown by ITV. I think this is the main reason there hasn't been another solo Hulk film, as Universal still own the rights, just as Sony does for Spider-Man (ITV again), though the latter was prepared to be flexible after TASM2 crashed.

Bad Ambassador

Inception is on ITV on Saturday night, from 9.45pm to 12.30am.

biggytitbo

I can't remember the last time they showed Porkies 2 on telly but the original is on all the time. I guess its just one of those weird rights issues.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 08, 2017, 10:02:50 PM
Disney cartoon films were never on. They made a killing from the VHS sales and I suppose it would have ruined that.
Disney from very early on focused on rereleasing their films ever few years, to kids it felt like a new film each time so they were able to milk them relentlessly.

When things shifted to VHS the theatrical profits died down a lot but by rereleasing them on VHS and immediately deleting them every few years, they ensured (1) the films never really devalued in the way most films did and (2) they were able to make a killing on concentrated merchandising campaigns.
No clue if many Disney films aired on television before home video, but absolutely fuck all did after.

RE: Room, that's a Film 4 film isn't it? It'd make sense for Channel 4 to be able to get them extremely early compared to most places.

Glebe

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on July 10, 2017, 09:28:01 AMDisney from very early on focused on rereleasing their films ever few years, to kids it felt like a new film each time so they were able to milk them relentlessly.

Yeah, my dad took me to The Jungle Book and 101 Dalmations as a kid and I was just entranced. The earlier Disney movies just have that 'magic' touch about them for me.