Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,478
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:27:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minecraft

Started by Shay Chaise, May 13, 2017, 05:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

I never played Minecraft before because I thought it sounded and looked really boring. Turns out I sound and look really boring instead. I just got this for the Switch because everything is more fun that way and I woke up at seven and played until now. I have done virtually nothing except figure out the very basics of how things work, like the furnace and cooking and crafting materials.

After about six hours, I found that it's really important to make a bed, especially if you decided to build your first den nowhere near the spawn point. I met some baddies which was actually really terrifying! Some purple shimmering man scared the shite right out of me especially. Zombies and bats and spiders make some pretty horrible noises. I also found a massive structure and then saw some edgy looking buggers staring out the window at me. This also gave me a real fright! They seemed friendly enough in the end, though.

Aaarrrgh what a game! So much more to say but I gotta go back to it.

Neomod

Ahh, nostalgia for the old CAB Minecraft server v.3?

I still play a shit tone of Egg Wars on the Cubecraft server. I was thinking of gettign a server together actually where I could do some mods.

Quote from: Shay Chaise on May 13, 2017, 05:53:12 PM
I never played Minecraft before because I thought it sounded and looked really boring. Turns out I sound and look really boring instead. I just got this for the Switch because everything is more fun that way and I woke up at seven and played until now. I have done virtually nothing except figure out the very basics of how things work, like the furnace and cooking and crafting materials.

After about six hours, I found that it's really important to make a bed, especially if you decided to build your first den nowhere near the spawn point. I met some baddies which was actually really terrifying! Some purple shimmering man scared the shite right out of me especially. Zombies and bats and spiders make some pretty horrible noises. I also found a massive structure and then saw some edgy looking buggers staring out the window at me. This also gave me a real fright! They seemed friendly enough in the end, though.

Aaarrrgh what a game! So much more to say but I gotta go back to it.
Oh wait when you get to the point where your preparing to fight some of the bosses like the Ender Dragon, The Wither, The Mansion and the End city. Or when you start messign with red stone and making auto machines.

Cloud

Every now and again I make a world, clear out / light up a cave or two, build a crappy little house (I have no creative skills) then get bored and forget about it.  But yeah it's good stuff.

The real fun with minecraft is dicking about in multi player. The PVP aspect is fairly deep. Add being able to build and you can have some very fun fights.

asids

I remember one summer a few years ago me and a couple of mates played Minecraft pretty much every day on this shite wee survival server full of American kids. We basically built up our base and had masses of resources, got fully enhanced diamond armour and weapons, the lot. Then we raided and destroyed all their bases. It was glorious. Complete twattery, but glorious. Eventually managed to get a corrupt admin banned before we got banned from the survival ourselves and could only go on the creative side.

Don't think I've even touched it since then, because nothing's gonna top that.

Bhazor

Notch became the first indie game billionaire for a reason. Minecraft is pretty good.

The modding on PC is just insane and the community around it is more like an industry at this point. It employs thousands of people from paid servers, Twitch, Youtubers and commissioned mod work.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on May 13, 2017, 08:37:18 PM
Oh wait when you get to the point where your preparing to fight some of the bosses like the Ender Dragon, The Wither, The Mansion and the End city. Or when you start messign with red stone and making auto machines.

I didn't even realise there was a purpose to it, nor had I heard about redstone before yesterday. I'm going to continue with my shallow enjoyment for the moment because that stuff is unfathomable at this point. Unbelievable, though. Remarkable.

Quote from: Bhazor on May 14, 2017, 03:26:49 PM
Notch became the first indie game billionaire for a reason. Minecraft is pretty good.

The modding on PC is just insane and the community around it is more like an industry at this point. It employs thousands of people from paid servers, Twitch, Youtubers and commissioned mod work.

Again, absolutely remarkable. I'm very happy to play and potter about on my own for the moment, just figuring things out incrementally because I definitely won't be getting into one game so deeply, makes me feel unhealthy, but it is amazing.

Barry Admin

I love getting back into it every now and again, every year or two. I lack the conviction and attention span to do massive builds or anything, but I just love dicking about in survival and building a base. Or you know, just doing some mining with music on, and seeing what I find. Gathering resources is always appealing to my hoarder nature.

Redstone is indeed a superb thing to learn, at some point. You just build little circuits, work out the peculiarities of it, and then bingo, suddenly you've got double piston doors or whatever, and you feel a real sense of achievement. Make yourself a wee roller-coaster to get about the map. Lovely stuff.

I might stick it on now to get a break from the no-nothing dickheads who litter Horde mode these days. Maybe start a new seed, craft a wee boat and explore the map.

Oh fuck, you know what I used to love when I could play it on PC? Flatcore! Super flat world on hardcore more, amazing fun and totally changes the dynamic of the game. I wonder if you can do hardcore mode on consoles now...eh, no, you can't. Bastards. Well try it anyway: hard mode, super flat world, delete world forever when you die.

BeardFaceMan

My problem is I start huge builds that take far too long to complete. My latest was drying out an ocean monument, water is an absolute cunt to get rid of. Also done 60 storey pyramids, huge redstone farms, death stars, windmills and of course a big giant statue pissing into the fountain of a courtyard. Ooh and a hotel. I'm currently trying to map out my entire world, which is 25 maps, so I can frame them all and put a big fuck off map on my wall, I'm about halfway through that.

Barry Admin

I started doing a big build last year, with two guys on my friends list - see what it was like. Fucking awful, to be honest! We were building a castle, and I admired the dedication and planning, but in the end I felt like a slave, or as if I was working on a production line. I also didn't own the map, so like, I can't go and visit it now unless I ask Dex to fire it up.

Dropped into my most-played map there, spawned somewhere underground. I always put torches to my left, so I know how to get out again. Gonna visit my horsies, and check out my awesome pyramid with the piston entrance I made. Just see how things are, you know? Visiting a fondly-remembered world. Check out my pride and joy which took ages because of an Xbox bug; it's an enchanting room with bookcases maxed out. You walk in, pull a lever and one drops down behind you while another rises up out of the ground. (Nicked the design off YouTube)

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 14, 2017, 04:16:47 PM
I always put torches to my left, so I know how to get out again.

Hah, that's exactly what I do too!

The way I usually operate is I have 4 or 5 big builds going on at the same time because if I spend too long on one thing I tend to just wander off and something else catches my eye and gives me another idea so there's a load of half-built shit lying around my map.

Barry Admin

That sounds like a good idea man. Did you do much fucking around with slime blocks? Definitely one of the best newish additions. I made one of those cars, and was overjoyed with it. Must see what other blocks are new on the Xbox version.

You might enjoy gettign an Elytra, one of the new additiosn to minecraft, you get them from the end city and it lets you glide around the map. I think they have added Glide maps in multiplayer of the console edition.

Thinking about it I do have a realm on PC , if people wanna give me there username I can add you.

BeardFaceMan

No, I've hardly messed with any new stuff, there's so much to fucking do in this game, it's easy to get distracted. Was exploring a map last week and came across some polar bears, didn't even know they were in the game!

I think the console version is bugged at the moment, I've killed the Ender Dragon about 10 times now but no End City appears so I can't get the Elytra yet.

You have to eperl into a tiny portal in the air and then island hop from island to isalnd.

BeardFaceMan

Its bugged on the xbox, you throw an ender pearl into the portal but it only takes you to one island,  if you try it again it just takes you to the same island.  It's really frustrating.

Thats pretty shitty. Once I ran a command that made 60 unkillble chickens.  Had to send them all to the end.

Zetetic

For what it's worth, you can still see a map of the last server - mostly for CaB people - that I was running here.

Quote from: Zetetic on January 22, 2015, 01:45:34 AM

(Indeed the server is still running and anyone's welcome to have access to it. I've absolutely no idea if anyone still uses it at all.)

What minecraft version and ip?

Consignia

I don't know much about Minecraft, but with things like that Stouffer statue, do you have an automated way of taking an image and creating in the blocks, or is it assembled piece by piece?

Zetetic

There are forms of automation (writing the map file directly, automating player input, in-game tools with mods) but I suspect all those were produced by hand.

Will PM you, DDD.

Cheers for that. I'll piss about on it tommrow.

Barry Admin

Started a new world there. Always love starting over with a fresh world! Holed up underground, waiting out the first night with no torches. Rusty as fuck!

Anyway I don't want to say too much, as I'm really looking forward to Shay figuring out the systems, detailing his "firsts", and learning what not to do. All I'd say is: (edit: you'll figure it out, if you haven't already :-)). Let us know how you get on.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 14, 2017, 03:49:45 PM
I love getting back into it every now and again, every year or two. I lack the conviction and attention span to do massive builds or anything, but I just love dicking about in survival and building a base. Or you know, just doing some mining with music on, and seeing what I find. Gathering resources is always appealing to my hoarder nature

Yeah, I always like the first few days best - hollowing out a shelter, making the basics like bed, crafting table etc., then maybe planting some crops or fencing in some animals. Getting enough iron to make decent tools. Perhaps building a little keep. After that I usually wander off too far, lose everything I've made and eventually get whacked by zombies or skeletons as I forlornly traverse the plains.

One of the things I enjoyed was working out how to get treasure chests that are protected by monster spawners. Finding the best way to excavate and reposition blocks so that I can get to the chest without being in the monsters' firing line.

Neomod

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 15, 2017, 12:55:47 PM
Started a new world there. Always love starting over with a fresh world! Holed up underground, waiting out the first night with no torches. Rusty as fuck!

That's my favourite part. Those first nights in a strange place desperately looking for coal and wood and making a shelter. Countless times I've just built tall dirt towers and sat it out til dawn. I don't think I've ever got to the end of the game though as I get bored. The Nether yes but no further.

I wish my laptop could handle those lovely realistic water mods. I'd then be tempted to put some time into building a community of mid century lakeside homes.

I quite like doing survival pvp battles with my friends. Say 1 hour to gather resources, weapons etc, then we fight first to 5 kills.

hedgehog90

Anyone from the old CaB server remember the massive Des head I built?

Didn't look much like Des Lynam, not bad for a first attempt though. Built that in survival mode too, took ages.

Ahh, those were the days. Those long, strange, tedious, old days.

Think I'll pop on the old server for a nosey. It's been a while.

Edit: Just noticed Zetetic's updated to the latest Spigot build, cheers!