Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:58:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Music genres that attract absolute dickheads

Started by Sydward Lartle, May 14, 2017, 01:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sydward Lartle

I'm going to start with an obvious one here, and that's psychobilly. Not so much stuff like the Cramps, although I don't much like their stuff either, but the likes of the Meteors (Paul Fenech being one of the most notorious arseholes in an industry overflowing with them) and that horrible three-chord punk rock shite with a fast double bass that attracts knuckle-dragging, heavily tattooed BNP supporters who do that nasty 'wrecking' chicken dancing / slam dancing that always seems to end up in a massive brawl. For some bizarre reason, there's a bi-annual psychobilly / rockabilly festival where I live and not only are the fans utter wankers (and snobs with it) but the music is hot shit on a stick.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Metal without a doubt. Oh so only technical folk doomcore is any good? Anyone who doesn't know the difference between technical death metal and prog metal or likes one of the Metallica albums that it's not okay to like is instantly worthy of that scrunched up face and fucking sneery sarky voice you do which is the only one you can do other than the dull droney one that is your normal speaking voice?
I mean most fans of metal are fine but some of them properly take the piss. You know the kind of video game fan that pissed their kecks over gamergate? For metal, imagine the same thing but with 3 feet of oil drenched hair

Absorb the anus burn

Here Comes Mongo

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 14, 2017, 01:26:59 AM
that horrible three-chord punk rock shite with a fast double bass that attracts knuckle-dragging, heavily tattooed BNP supporters who do that nasty 'wrecking' chicken dancing / slam dancing that always seems to end up in a massive brawl.

Good call. Also that Nordic Black Metal stuff that white nationalist types seem to like.

manticore

I can't stand jazz but people who like it tend to be nice in my experience.

Noddy Tomkey

In my experience, a lot of the basic three-chord punk bands are anti fash and BNP. Could be a regional thing though.

Noddy Tomkey

I can usually find something in every genre to enjoy - I like to hear creativity and invention, and can't think of a single genre I dislike. I'm sure there are dickheads who like the same things that you do.

In the 70s and 80s, ska, with its following of skinheads, a good proportion of which were the dregs of civilisation.

DrGreggles

Soft rock.
The shittiest shit for the cuntiest cunts.

Bronzy

EDM seems to attract 20-something dickhead "lads" whose lives consist of copious amounts of alcohol and shagging.

Doesn't sound too bad actually, now that I've said it. Anyone know Avicii's tour dates?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Bronzy on May 14, 2017, 01:12:35 PM
EDM

That's not a genre. That's a fairly new term idiot Americans use instead of dance music. Avicii is electro house if you ask me. I hate that genre and it attracts scumbags and knackers. Swedish House Mafia gigs had a habit of being the location of stabbings by mephedroned up chavs.

asids

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 14, 2017, 06:56:04 AM
Vaporwave.

I was going to say this. It seems to be the favourite of your alt-right memers at the moment. Others:

Folk rock/pop
Spoken word
Alt R&B
Already been mentioned, but nu metal and mainstream electro house (Calvin Harris, Avicii, David Guetta etc)

purlieu

As someone who's dabbled in making vaporwave and knows a significant amount of people in the scene's online presence, I can say without a doubt that it's possibly the biggest group of sensitive, lefty, politically correct people I've ever come across, to a SJW degree a lot of the time. If 'fashwave' has anything to do with this idea that it's full of alt-right wankers, then it should be pointed out that it has nothing in common with vaporwave, musically (the -wave suffix coming from synthwave), and just nicked a few of its visual choices.
The only people I've come across who aren't like that are those who moved on from vaporwave - some of the 'hardvapour' scene and some artists on Dream Catalogue, who seem to have a bit of a centre-right perspective.

asids

Quote from: purlieu on May 14, 2017, 02:21:31 PM
As someone who's dabbled in making vaporwave and knows a significant amount of people in the scene's online presence, I can say without a doubt that it's possibly the biggest group of sensitive, lefty, politically correct people I've ever come across, to a SJW degree a lot of the time. If 'fashwave' has anything to do with this idea that it's full of alt-right wankers, then it should be pointed out that it has nothing in common with vaporwave, musically (the -wave suffix coming from synthwave), and just nicked a few of its visual choices.
The only people I've come across who aren't like that are those who moved on from vaporwave - some of the 'hardvapour' scene and some artists on Dream Catalogue, who seem to have a bit of a centre-right perspective.

Yeah, vapourwave seems to have an anti-capitalist and anti-consumerist slant behind the whole thing so I'm not surprised that the producers and such are very lefty. I'm probably very off with me saying that it's full of alt-right cunts, although I just get the general impression from YouTube and other places that it seems to attract these vaguely right-leaning sorts who talk about hating SJWs and feminists and the like. Could be completely wrong though.

Mr Brightside

All genres of music have their fair share of absolute dickheads. A dickhead doesn't like one particular kind of music.

Endicott

This thread belongs in the bin marked 'shit for cunts'

NoSleep

Pop. Some of the music is OK but it attracts some right nutters.

purlieu

Quote from: asids on May 14, 2017, 02:35:06 PMalthough I just get the general impression from YouTube and other places that it seems to attract these vaguely right-leaning sorts who talk about hating SJWs and feminists and the like.
I think it's a combination of vw being somewhat meme-like, which is going to attract a certain amount of 4chan-esque dickheads on that level, and the fact that having a fairly social justicey audience means it's a good place for alt-right types to troll as well. So yeah, I can see how you'd get that impression, particularly on YouTube. Remove it from the awful internet-nerd stuff around it, though, and it's a really open minded and supportive community of people for the most part.

mobias

The Calvin Harris, Avicii and David Guetta's of this world just seem to be liked by teeny boppers who are to young and/or ill informed to like decent (older) dance music. Plus some of that stuff is more border line pop anyway. 

I'm sure every genre attracts its own share of dick heads who are unique in their own individual way. Middle of the road lad rock would be my own choice for singling out particular dick head fans. I remember when Kings of Leon played Murryfield Stadium here in Edinburgh a few years back and a lot of the concert goers were walking past my old flat on route. They all struck me as a particular type of dickhead. The type who holds a fairly respectable shirt and tie office job by day but then gets totally pissed at weekends and gets into a fight. There seemed to be a lot of laddish boy racers amongst them. Same goes for Oasis. I know Oasis have written some genuinely cracking tunes but they are loved by a lot of total knob heads.

the ouch cube

My brother was into the whole Oasis thing for a while; saw them at Knobworth, and even he admitted afterwards that he spent the day surrounded by the sort of people he'd cross the road to avoid. The exact same behaviour by metal fans (or Oi! punk fans) would have been condemned, or at the very least sneered at, but at the time, it was virtually encouraged.

Also, those Beyonce fans who seem to think you have a moral duty to like her dreary music on pains of being accused of being a KKK grand wizard and/or a serial rapist if you don't. (There's a large crossover here with the sort of people who thought you had a moral duty to support Clinton as well....)

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: the science eel on May 14, 2017, 01:53:08 AM
prog

Argh... I've tried and tried to see a positive side of prog, because a few people whose opinions I respect (and who are a great bunch of ladsTM into the bargain) keep singing its praises, but I keep coming back empty-handed every single time. The only good thing I can think to say about it is that it's very positive and goal-oriented, and I can see why you might like it if you're the sort of person who thinks nothing of spending an entire month in his boxroom-bedroom trying to crack every last one of Andy Latimer's guitar solos on the Snow Goose album, but to me it's just dirge. Rush in particular can go and take a flying shit, especially as they were influenced by Ayn frigging Rand of all people.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 14, 2017, 12:04:37 PM
Soft rock.
The shittiest shit for the cuntiest cunts.

See, soft rock just makes me happy. Not enough to buy any of it, admittedly (Chortle! Eh, readers?) but stored up here on my netbook I've got a fuckload of albums by the likes of Styx, Journey, Fiona, Heart, 38 Special, Ellen Shipley, the Knack, REO Speedwagon, Roxette, Straight Lines, John Mellencamp and so on, and they're all good, no-nonsense, cheer-yourself-up music, ideal for shitty days or long boring train journeys.

Bon Jovi and Kiss, however, can go and fuck themselves.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 14, 2017, 06:57:40 AM
In the 70s and 80s, ska, with its following of skinheads, a good proportion of which were the dregs of civilisation.

So lock me up and throw away the key.

I hate the music snob more than any psychobilly (haven't seen any in over three decades), Oasis fan or some fat old skinheads dancing to Trojan reggae in a back street pub in Hornsey. That sniffy, 6th former judgemental attitude and abhorrence of anybody actually enjoying themselves. Everyone's a cunt except me because I like the MC5.

They hide behind their fucking Fall albums or their impeccable electronica collection or bang on about Neu or some obscure Postcard label 7" B side.

Absolute dickheads.

Sorry. I am extremely hungover.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 14, 2017, 04:41:56 PM
So lock me up and throw away the key.

I hate the music snob more than any psychobilly (haven't seen any in over three decades), Oasis fan or some fat old skinheads dancing to Trojan reggae in a back street pub in Hornsey. That sniffy, 6th former judgemental attitude and abhorrence of anybody actually enjoying themselves. Everyone's a cunt except me because I like the MC5.

They hide behind their fucking Fall albums or their impeccable electronica collection or bang on about Neu or some obscure Postcard label 7" B side.

Absolute dickheads.

Sorry. I am extremely hungover.

I said a large proportion, not all-and you surely must admit that skinheads tended to attract as adherents a certain type of would-be hard man.

Sydward Lartle

I don't have a problem with ska, not really (for a while when I was a youngster, the Beat were my favourite band, and Best Friend remains a fucking cracking single), but I have to own up to a lifelong antipathy toward reggae. Beating up gay blokes is not my cup of tea, and so much of the reggae 'culture' has been appropriated by the usual knobheads that it's positively obscene. You know for a fact that an underground comic's going to be crap if it's got a red, gold and green cover design, a character with a big toothy grin smoking a spliff and endless strips about smokin' da weed mon.

Very telling isn't it, that the majority of these DRUGS LOLZ comics aren't even produced by proper rastas, just some dopey stoner who couldn't look less like he was feeling 'irie' and channeling rastaman vibrations if he actually was Syd Little.

But I digress. Reggae is fucking awful.

daf

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 14, 2017, 04:27:29 PM
Argh... I've tried and tried to see a positive side of prog, because a few people whose opinions I respect keep singing its praises

Couple of my favourites from the hairy flute side of prog -

Focus - House of the King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lv8YR68vcA
Focus - Anonymous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZNXnH0PKEM
Jethro Toe - Living in The Past
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YymGJKhGgY

Sydward Lartle