Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:01:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Music genres that attract absolute dickheads

Started by Sydward Lartle, May 14, 2017, 01:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 14, 2017, 04:45:26 PM
I said a large proportion, not all-and you surely must admit that skinheads tended to attract as adherents a certain type of would-be hard man.

Given. Loads of old skins go to see Madness, The Beat, old reggae gigs today and they're like pussycats. Boneheads at right wing Oi concerts are a different matter though. Arseholes.

Bronzy

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 14, 2017, 01:19:21 PM
That's not a genre. That's a fairly new term idiot Americans use instead of dance music. Avicii is electro house if you ask me. I hate that genre and it attracts scumbags and knackers. Swedish House Mafia gigs had a habit of being the location of stabbings by mephedroned up chavs.

In all fairness I just went by the first genre that came up when I looked at Avicii's Wikipedia page. I really meant electro and progressive house.

Shit for cunts either way.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 14, 2017, 04:55:43 PM
I don't have a problem with ska, not really (for a while when I was a youngster, the Beat were my favourite band, and Best Friend remains a fucking cracking single), but I have to own up to a lifelong antipathy toward reggae. Beating up gay blokes is not my cup of tea, and so much of the reggae 'culture' has been appropriated by the usual knobheads that it's positively obscene. You know for a fact that an underground comic's going to be crap if it's got a red, gold and green cover design, a character with a big toothy grin smoking a spliff and endless strips about smokin' da weed mon.

Very telling isn't it, that the majority of these DRUGS LOLZ comics aren't even produced by proper rastas, just some dopey stoner who couldn't look less like he was feeling 'irie' and channeling rastaman vibrations if he actually was Syd Little.

But I digress. Reggae is fucking awful.

Who was that cartoonist who used to produce those comics in the eighties about some festival hippy called Trevor tripping all the time. It was a bit sub-Gilbert Shelton. The 'Big something' ?? Ozric Tentacles spring to mind.

Reggae is the best btw but other opinions are available.

Sydward Lartle

Are you thinking of Pete Loveday's Russell - the Saga of a Peaceful Man?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 14, 2017, 05:50:26 PM

Yes. I knew the main character had a very prosaic name, Russell not Trevor. What did you think of them? I have a few issues but it was too 'stoner' comedy for my tastes. I've never been into the Cheech & Chong, The Big Lebowski, Jay And Rubbish Bob thing.

Catalogue Trousers

Quick sidenote -the only genre that I've found attracts absolute dickheads is, as Sydward said, psychobilly. I personally love the Cramps and the Meteors, but dear gawd they draw in lots of wankers who see gigs purely as an excuse to chin someone and get away with it. Punk and ska could both have easily as much anger and energy - as John Lydon rightly observes, the two can even feed off each other - but I never saw a punk or ska gig where some piece of chip-on-his-shoulder shite tried to bloody someone's nose just because they hadn't managed to feel anyone's tits but their own that evening.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 14, 2017, 05:54:41 PM
Yes. I knew the main character had a very prosaic name, Russell not Trevor. What did you think of them? I have a few issues but it was too 'stoner' comedy for my tastes. I've never been into the Cheech & Chong, The Big Lebowski, Jay And Rubbish Bob thing.

One of the main reasons I got out of the underground press game was the sheer number of comics that seem to follow the same handful of tropes, namely...

1) The sight of a big throbbing cock entering some balloon-titted bimbo's intricately drawn vagina is inherently hilarious

2) Outspoken disrespect for policemen (usually with names like PC Tithead or PC Pigfilth) is inherently hilarious

3) The mere act of taking drugs, in particular smokin' da weed, is inherently hilarious

...thank fuck I'm out of that silly bollocks.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on May 14, 2017, 05:58:30 PM
Dear gawd they draw in lots of wankers who see gigs purely as an excuse to chin someone and get away with it

Being in this room would be my own personal slice of hell.

Also, seconded on the Oasis thing. I imagine being in a field full of pissed-up lads impersonating Liam Gallagher would be a trying experience indeed.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 14, 2017, 05:50:26 PM

He was responsible for the artwork of two Delerium records compilations from the early 90s. Psychedelic Psauna (feat Ozrics) and Fun With Mushrooms

purlieu

I've never come across a fanbase with more holier-than-thou types who genuinely believe that their favourite band is objectively untouchable, and anyone who doesn't like them needs to be educated into why they should, for their own good, because their music is beyond art and is possibly the reason for humankind's evolution in the first place, than that of Radiohead. I once endured an argument on the AtEase board where I dared comment that Nigel Godrich's production on Hail to the Thief was a bit rubbish (it is: I saw those songs live and they were a thousand times better), to which I was treated to a lengthy diatribe on why every single aspect of Radiohead's output was intentional, that nobody should ever criticise anything they've ever done, and that, several posts in, the person telling me this was really sick of writing all this and it was making him feel shit, but he kept doing it, charitably, for my own good.

It's a tiny proportion of their entire fanbase who are like that. But it sticks with me.

Sydward Lartle

I used to know a Radiohead fan who reckoned my inability to enjoy the band or their music was inextricably tied to the fact that I can't drive a car. Honestly. 'If you could drive a car you'd know they make great driving music'. Make of that what you will.

Steven

Quote from: purlieu on May 14, 2017, 08:20:02 PM
I've never come across a fanbase with more holier-than-thou types who genuinely believe that their favourite band is objectively It's a tiny proportion of their entire fanbase who are like that. But it sticks with me.

Someone I know flew abroad to see a Radiohead concert, weeks later by chance I was clicking around on YouTube and saw a live concert linked so I watched it and Thom's voice was noticeably very poor through the entire gig, so I sent the link to this bloke and commented on it and he wasn't having any of it, it was a brilliant gig and I'm wrong. It just happened to be the gig he had attended of course. No amount of arguing would he accept it wasn't a very good performance, his voice was objectively poor on that concert but of course I had to be in the wrong about it despite having absolutely no fucking motive for saying it was a bad gig having not known it was the gig he went to. No brilliant gig, amazing, I'm wrong. Just.. Gnnnnhhh!!!!

Bronzy

I've never come across a fanbase with more holier-than-thou types who genuinely believe that their favourite band is objectively untouchable, and anyone who doesn't like them needs to be educated into why they should, for their own good, because their music is beyond art and is possibly the reason for humankind's evolution in the first place, than that of Radiohead. I once endured an argument on the AtEase board where I dared comment that Nigel Godrich's production on Hail to the Thief was a bit rubbish (it is: I saw those songs live and they were a thousand times better), to which I was treated to a lengthy diatribe on why every single aspect of Radiohead's output was intentional, that nobody should ever criticise anything they've ever done, and that, several posts in, the person telling me this was really sick of writing all this and it was making him feel shit, but he kept doing it, charitably, for my own good.

It's a tiny proportion of their entire fanbase who are like that. But it sticks with me.

They piss me off too, not least because I'm a huge fan of Radiohead, and they make the normal fans look like pretentious cunts.

Radiohead are far from perfect, yet some of these guys would have you believe Jonny Greenwood pisses Sauvignon blanc and Thom Yorke shits out several different critically endangered species out of his arse. It's utterly ridiculous.

Quote from: Bronzy on May 14, 2017, 08:36:28 PM
Radiohead are far from perfect, yet some of these guys would have you believe Jonny Greenwood pisses Sauvignon blanc and Thom Yorke shits out several different critically endangered species out of his arse. It's utterly ridiculous.

Well on the latter, that would mean they had killed and eaten members of said species-so hardly a commendation.

Sydward Lartle

Open letter to Thom Yorke...

It's spelled TOM for fuck's sake.

Oh, and you look like a foetus.

Bronzy

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 14, 2017, 08:41:47 PM
Well on the latter, that would mean they had killed and eaten members of said species-so hardly a commendation.

How dare you suggest such a thing! He obviously has a special Greenpeace womb where the different species are created and then he gives birth to them through his unique eco-anus, you uneducated, meat-eating scumbag!

Norton Canes

Last Night of the Proms wins this for Classical, I'm afraid.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 14, 2017, 09:57:33 PM
Last Night of the Proms wins this for Classical, I'm afraid.

It totally does. Always reminds me of Victor Lewis-Smith's sketch - "Oh look, there's someone who doesn't have a sense of humour but he does have a pig on his head!"

Brundle-Fly

'Knowing' middle-aged men who say they like the music of BabyMetal (or J Pop, in general). Not dickheads but disingenuous creepozoids.

Here Comes Mongo

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 14, 2017, 08:34:20 PM
I used to know a Radiohead fan who reckoned my inability to enjoy the band or their music was inextricably tied to the fact that I can't drive a car. Honestly. 'If you could drive a car you'd know they make great driving music'. Make of that what you will.

What an odd thing to say. Your acquaintance is a fartknuckle.

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 14, 2017, 01:26:59 AM
I'm going to start with an obvious one here, and that's psychobilly. Not so much stuff like the Cramps, although I don't much like their stuff either, but the likes of the Meteors (Paul Fenech being one of the most notorious arseholes in an industry overflowing with them) and that horrible three-chord punk rock shite with a fast double bass that attracts knuckle-dragging, heavily tattooed BNP supporters who do that nasty 'wrecking' chicken dancing / slam dancing that always seems to end up in a massive brawl. For some bizarre reason, there's a bi-annual psychobilly / rockabilly festival where I live and not only are the fans utter wankers (and snobs with it) but the music is hot shit on a stick.

I made a thread very similar to this a while back but forgot to exclude The Cramps from my post so got piled in on. I used to be in a Pyschobilly band about 7 years ago, I never liked the music at all just came along for the ride for something to with do a mate. I've never come across a worse scene than that, rammed to rafters with neo nazi/Britain First supporters and generally snobby wankers who worship the ground that Paul Fenech walks on ignoring the fact that he's probably one of the most appalling cunts to have ever picked up a guitar. He surrounds himself with massive Neo Nazi German skinheads as "security" and basically acts as a gang leader abusing whatever power he has. I left my band after a few years when I realised that I totally hated Pyschobilly music and the people associated with it. I presume you live in Northampton? I've attended that festival a couple of times, never before have so many mediocre bands been gathered under one roof so often.

Funcrusher

Never understood the appeal of Radiohead.

Some soul fans can be really insufferable - they seem to have the idea that soul is the highest form of music, and that as a soul fan they are somehow spiritually on a higher level than other music fans.

imitationleather

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 14, 2017, 10:49:28 PM
Some soul fans can be really insufferable - they seem to have the idea that soul is the highest form of music, and that as a soul fan they are somehow spiritually on a higher level than other music fans.

Already mentioned but I find this attitude especially prevalent among jazz fans. Although every genre has followers who think like this, even the ones I like!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 14, 2017, 10:38:51 PM

I made a thread very similar to this a while back but forgot to exclude The Cramps from my post so got piled in on. I used to be in a Pyschobilly band about 7 years ago, I never liked the music at all just came along for the ride for something to with a mate. I've never come across a worse scene than that, rammed to rafters with neo nazi/Britain First supporters and generally snobby wankers who worship the ground that Paul Fenech walks on ignoring the fact that he's probably one of the most appalling cunts to have ever picked up a guitar. He surrounds himself with massive Neo Nazi German skinheads as "security" and basically acts as a gang leader abusing whatever power he has. I left my band after a few years when I realised that I totally hated Pyschobilly music and the people associated with it. I presume you live in Northampton? I've attended that festival a couple of times, never before have so many mediocre bands been gathered under one roof so often.

I find this fascinating.

As Syd says in his OP, "nasty 'wrecking' chicken dancing / slam dancing that always seems to end up in a massive brawl. ". I remember these bastards at the time in Brighton. There was a huge psychobilly scene in that seaside town: The Long Tall Texans, The Highliners, King Kurt etc. 

I went to see Spear Of Destiny gig at the Top Rank and looking down from the balcony there were so many peroxide razor cut, flat tops haircuts bods all wedged together, it looked like a garden lawn. You could have enjoyed some crown bowling on their bonces.

Is there still a scene for this?  Not thought about it in decades.

Dr Syntax Head

I haven't red this thread yet and it's probably already been said but Nu metal. Yeah Nu metal. Beefhead jocks who cry wank because they can't rape themselves.

PaulTMA

I've always found it quite ludicrous that they hold this view, especially considering that music which has been directly inspired by Radiohead has been exclusively rubbish.  I've largely been ignoring them since after OK Computer  - Radiohead is one thing, fair enough I'm not into them since I was about 17 but what's considerably more difficult to swallow is musicians whose musical Year Zero was The Bends.  Surely no actually good music has ever come from a heavy Radiohead influence.   I speak from personal experience/prejudice as I used to live with one and had to endure his consonant-free sub-Matt Bellamy caterwauling through the wall for months.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 14, 2017, 11:06:24 PM

Is there still a scene for this?  Not thought about it in decades.

Yes but it's incredibly limited and more popular in the continent than the UK. The younger people who have become involved in it are much more easy going and tolerant, it's the old school 80s people who bang on about the era of the Klub Foot and look down on anyone who wasn't there as lesser beings. All of those bands you mentioned are still involved in the scene but they're all just builders and plasterers who play out for a few extra quid now and again. The whole thing is dominated by The Meteors, there are quite a few people who would happily give you a beating if you expressed a dislike of Paul Fenech, there's a weird cult of personality surrounding that nasty little man.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Here Comes Mongo on May 14, 2017, 10:25:03 PM
What an odd thing to say. Your acquaintance is a fartknuckle.

He really is, and I'm glad to say I haven't seen hide nor hair of him for fifteen years now.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 14, 2017, 10:38:51 PM
I've never come across a worse scene than that, rammed to rafters with neo nazi/Britain First supporters and generally snobby wankers who worship the ground that Paul Fenech walks on ignoring the fact that he's probably one of the most appalling cunts to have ever picked up a guitar.

This. This. A million times this.

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 14, 2017, 10:38:51 PMI presume you live in Northampton? I've attended that festival a couple of times, never before have so many mediocre bands been gathered under one roof so often.

Guilty as charged. I didn't want to name the festival in case dozens of the aforementioned knobheads come trundling over here and try to start some kind of a brawl! I know a bloke on Facebook who's a member of a psychobilly band, and he's okay as it goes, but fuck me, his band's music - and all the stuff he links to on his timeline - is absolute steaming dung. He's forever on at me to meet up with him at you-know-where for a couple of drinks when that festival's on, but bollocks to that, to be honest, especially when one of his other friends takes great delight in describing the 'wrecking' carnage that invariably happens.

manticore

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 14, 2017, 10:49:28 PM

I'm a bit like this for roots reggae and dub. I don't think I'm on a higher level but I think the music is on a higher plane than other music.