Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:08:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Music genres that attract absolute dickheads

Started by Sydward Lartle, May 14, 2017, 01:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funcrusher

Quote from: manticore on May 15, 2017, 12:12:57 AM
I'm a bit like this for roots reggae and dub. I don't think I'm on a higher level but I think the music is on a higher plane than other music.

Some soul fans seem to think that they're morally superior for preferring soul to other types of music. With, say, jazz snobs they seem to feel they're just intellectually above the rest of us.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 14, 2017, 11:48:20 PM

Yes but it's incredibly limited and more popular in the continent than the UK. The younger people who have become involved in it are much more easy going and tolerant, it's the old school 80s people who bang on about the era of the Klub Foot and look down on anyone who wasn't there as lesser beings.

Ha ha. Klub Foot The Clarendon in Hammersmith.  Long gone.

Shay Chaise

Some people might say Animal Collective but I genuinely know better than them because I am a fan of the Animal Collective.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090427194741/http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/2009/01/animal-collective-is-a-band-created-byforon-the-internet.html

The greatest piece of writing of the millennium so far.

QuoteI hate ANCO BECAUSE THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE ANIMAL COLLECTIVE ARE S00 ANNOYING.

After understanding the internet-era and the pressure for bands/labels to create these non-profit lifestyle brands, you can now begin to explore the types of fans who love Animal Collective. They are probably a sampling from the absolute worst type of people to talk about music. In their world, music is the most important art form, and Animal Collective is the master of the arts. Animal Collective shits on everything else, whether or not is art. Most of the most ardent Animal Collective fans are failed creative-types who have convinced themselves that they could have made the music that Animal Collective made if they just saved up some money to buy ________(type of instrument).

These are Anco fan stereotypes:

a) the bros who are waaay too connected to new bands and music news and whatz goin on in the world of independent music
b) bros who dont care about whats going on in the altmusicsphere because they only care about how music makes them FEEL
c) bros who pretend to only care about judging music based on how it sounds but secretly check P4k rankings on a weekly basis to construct what they like based on how they perceive the masses are digesting new content.

I feel like the most annoying thing about Animal Collective fans is their evangelistic tendencies. Its kind of like a cult that is asking you to trash your pre-existing tastes and experiences when it comes to music, and join the AnCo army. To them, Animal Collective is a band that satisfies what they are looking for in a band from a musical and social perspective. They have told themselves that in their perfect version of society, every one will participate in communal sound sessions. Every sound ever made in this perfect society will be recorded, and later used in a meaningful song. We will all have animal/weird names and be inducted into THE ANIMAL COLLECTIVE at sundown on Sunday nights. We will sacrifice humans who do not appreciate our society."

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 14, 2017, 04:41:56 PMor some fat old skinheads dancing to Trojan reggae in a back street pub in Hornsey.

Have you a specific pub in mind? I only ask because there's a bloke I often see on Hornsey High Street who's obviously a reggae fan - he wears the full uniform including the pork pie hat, and I think he has a Trojan record bag as well, so he'd probably be in there. Always like seeing him.

NoSleep

Quote from: Shay Chaise on May 15, 2017, 09:59:08 AM
Some people might say Animal Collective but I genuinely know better than them because I am a fan of the Animal Collective.

I never got past how awful their music sounds to me.

Black_Bart

Whatever is new and dickheads think other dickheads haven't heard yet.

doppelkorn

All this talk of scenesters and genre fans - I can't remember the last time I met someone who was a dedicated, blinkered  fan of a genre of music. Maybe metalheads at Sonisphere, but I last went to that in 2011.

I don't think young people today do "scenes" as much. From what I can tel, teens find it really uncool to be judgemental about something.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 15, 2017, 01:11:06 PM
Have you a specific pub in mind? I only ask because there's a bloke I often see on Hornsey High Street who's obviously a reggae fan - he wears the full uniform including the pork pie hat, and I think he has a Trojan record bag as well, so he'd probably be in there. Always like seeing him.

That'll be Trojan Pete. I've known him since the eighties and he has always been a trad skin. He is a ska dj from Crouch End.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: NoSleep on May 14, 2017, 03:27:25 PM
Pop. Some of the music is OK but it attracts some right nutters.

Can't karma - but spot on.

purlieu

Quote from: doppelkorn on May 15, 2017, 01:30:47 PM
I don't think young people today do "scenes" as much. From what I can tel, teens find it really uncool to be judgemental about something.
Yes, the opening up of music due to the internet has definitely led to this somewhat. That said, I continually find people of all ages who are hugely into electronic music who really, really look down on indie stuff. They'll be able to enjoy some classic rock, more recent alt-rock type stuff, maybe a few things that incorporate more experimental elements, but anything that's a touch mellower or jangly or whatever and it'll be completely ignored or disliked. I don't know if it's due to relative lack of showmanship or experimentation or what, but it's something I come across so much.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: NoSleep on May 15, 2017, 01:20:10 PM
I never got past how awful their music sounds to me.

It's an evolution thing, ape.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 15, 2017, 01:11:06 PM

Is it this fella?

NoSleep

Quote from: Shay Chaise on May 15, 2017, 02:20:29 PM
It's an evolution thing, ape.

There isn't much evolutionary to grab onto. It's all very simple pop basics which are all crudely shoved through a battery of digital plugins to make it sound like Mr Blobby raping the Beach Boys.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 14, 2017, 11:44:36 PM
Surely no actually good music has ever come from a heavy Radiohead influence.   I speak from personal experience/prejudice as I used to live with one and had to endure his consonant-free sub-Matt Bellamy caterwauling through the wall for months.

Years ago my then-girlfriend was living in Brighton in a terraced house and I used to dread visiting because I could always hear a neighbour singing exclusively Muse covers with an acoustic. Really hammered the strings and jesus his voice was terrible, really shouty. 3/10. Wouldn't stay next door to him again. Fucking abysmal.

Radiohead though, I wandered into an open mic night once where someone was singing There There. That was fucking shit too. I love Radiohead but I definitely draw the line at some tit wailing his way through a shit Thom Yorke impression. I'm not saying their music is sacrosanct and must never be touched but they're definitely high on the list of bands where there's no point covering them unless you're going to do something different with the song. Otherwise you just look like a prize arse.

I'm not saying all covers must be played in a different style simply for the sake of it, but what's to be gained from half the people who show up at an open mic to play a "haunting" rendition of Karma Police or something? Easy Star All-Stars' OK Computer, for example, brilliant. Floppy haired student adding nothing to the song, fuck off.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 15, 2017, 03:56:02 PM
Years ago my then-girlfriend was living in Brighton in a terraced house and I used to dread visiting because I could always hear a neighbour singing exclusively Muse covers with an acoustic. Really hammered the strings and jesus his voice was terrible, really shouty. 3/10. Wouldn't stay next door to him again. Fucking abysmal.

Radiohead though, I wandered into an open mic night once where someone was singing There There. That was fucking shit too. I love Radiohead but I definitely draw the line at some tit wailing his way through a shit Thom Yorke impression. It's not just Radiohead but they're definitely high on the list of bands where there's no point covering them unless you're going to do something different with the song. Otherwise you just look like a prize arse.

I'm not saying all covers must be played in a different style simply for the sake of it, but what's to be gained from half the people who show up at an open mic to play a "haunting" rendition of Karma Police or something? Easy Star All-Stars' OK Computer, for example, brilliant. Floppy haired student adding nothing to the song, fuck off.

So many reasons why I can't stomach open mic nights any more, but the sound of an A chord followed my the words "greeee plastic wahhhh-tering caaan" has a lot to do with it.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: NoSleep on May 15, 2017, 03:06:25 PM
There isn't much evolutionary to grab onto. It's all very simple pop basics which are all crudely shoved through a battery of digital plugins to make it sound like Mr Blobby raping the Beach Boys.

HAHA RAPE

Your y2k9 level meme betrays that you've only heard bits of one album but it's a good gag, anyway. Always room for you round the AC bonfire.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 15, 2017, 02:42:19 PM
Is it this fella?

Yeah, that's him. Seems a nice bloke - he's often in the Italian deli.

Hornsey High Street is great.

greenman

Honestly whilst "dickheads" perhaps isn't true it does strike me as music aimed at people who desperately want to be seen jumping into something leftfield and challenging otherwise outside there taste.

Doesn't help that the same basic formula was done infinitely better by Mercury Rev in the early/mid 90's.

purlieu

Ah come on now, I don't like them much, but one of the appealing aspects of them is how much they change from album to album. You're describing one, maybe two records at most here.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: greenman on May 15, 2017, 05:29:09 PM
Honestly whilst "dickheads" perhaps isn't true it does strike me as music aimed at people who desperately want to be seen jumping into something leftfield and challenging otherwise outside there taste.

Doesn't help that the same basic formula was done infinitely better by Mercury Rev in the early/mid 90's.

There is no 'basic formula' given that every record has a different line up, instrumentation, songwriting approach and sound. You gave the same opinion a while ago, admitting that you'd only listened to a few songs. Your opinion on what you imagine their fans base decisions on what to choose to listen to only says anything about you, not the band, their music nor the people who listen to it.

I can safely say that the AC forum is the friendliest, most open minded group of people I've encountered on the internet. I never get the sense that anybody is trying to project anything, nor trying to one up anyone else, or is desperate to be anything other than what they are. I don't get that sense from you, though.

NoSleep

Quote from: purlieu on May 15, 2017, 05:30:31 PM
Ah come on now, I don't like them much, but one of the appealing aspects of them is how much they change from album to album. You're describing one, maybe two records at most here.

I've heard a fair bit (in passing, as their music has always messaged "nothing of note here" whenever I've heard it) and can't see the appeal. I also note a lot of hyperbole about them being some kind of avant-garde act whilst there's nothing of the kind present in the music.

greenman

Quote from: Shay Chaise on May 15, 2017, 05:43:36 PM
There is no 'basic formula' given that every record has a different line up, instrumentation, songwriting approach and sound. You gave the same opinion a while ago, admitting that you'd only listened to a few songs. Your opinion on what you imagine their fans base decisions on what to choose to listen to only says anything about you, not the band, their music nor the people who listen to it.

I can safely say that the AC forum is the friendliest, most open minded group of people I've encountered on the internet. I never get the sense that anybody is trying to project anything, nor trying to one up anyone else, or is desperate to be anything other than what they are. I don't get that sense from you, though.

It seems like it to me, basic pop structure with a lot of attempted left field sonic debris over the top but I find neither former very catchy nore the latter very interesting or atmospheric despite changing somewhat from album to album.

NoSleep

Quote from: greenman on May 15, 2017, 05:53:09 PM
It seems like it to me, basic pop structure with a lot of attempted left field sonic debris over the top but I find neither former very catchy nore the latter very interesting or atmospheric despite changing somewhat from album to album.

This is what I hear. Standard pop structures and chords buried under tons of FX; not particularly innovative, just excessive.

Sydward Lartle

There is something fucking uniquely depressing about people who latch onto the dress code of a certain genre, decades after the majority of people stopped giving a fuck about it. Paul Weller, for example. Sort your fucking barnet out mate, it's 2017. You're not Steve Marriott. You're not Dave Davies. You're nearly sixty years old and you look a prize plum. Then there are the die-hard punk rockers, again, pushing sixty most of them, yet they still wander around looking like they're on their way to a fancy dress party as old shouty-bollocks from the Prodigy, shocking no-one and making a point that was adequately hammered home back in 1980.

Probably the main reason I can't get into rockabilly or any of its derivatives is that, Buddy Holly aside (because he's fucking unimpeachably perfect in my worthless opinion), the music and iconography of late-fifties American rock 'n' roll boppin' and jivin' juvenile delinquency let's-go-to-the-hop Happy Days bullshit is absolute toxic toilet. Massive hollow-bodied Gretsch guitars, greasy quiffs (on men and women), sideburns, shit jeans with turn-ups, brothel creepers, cowboy hats, leather jackets with the collars turned up, lumberjack shirts with the sleeves cut off, matchstick in the gob, skull-and-crossbones tattoos, a cartoon cat with a quiff and an earring on the bass drum, lyrics about fucking graveyards and ghouls and haunted houses, confederate flags... gah. I'm far from the biggest Beatles fan in the world but thank fuck they came along and made all that pig's garbage history.

Phil_A

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 14, 2017, 10:49:28 PM
Some soul fans can be really insufferable - they seem to have the idea that soul is the highest form of music, and that as a soul fan they are somehow spiritually on a higher level than other music fans.

Yep. Something I thought while watching The Commitments, which is a decent film, but would have you believe no worthwhile music has been recorded since around 1964.

Shay Chaise

NoSleep/greenman, at least you've made a friend from this.

You're not really AnCo bros, though, let's face it. Everyone wins.

Quote from: NoSleep on May 15, 2017, 05:56:23 PM
This is what I hear. Standard pop structures and chords buried under tons of FX; not particularly innovative, just excessive.

Only you are obsessed with innovation, though, and feel that you can deconstruct music to unearth its value. That's such a shame, you've missed out on so so much in your life, whereas I and people like me can enjoy Animal Collective, a-ha and your pal, Sun Ra. Imagine only being able to enjoy music which fits into your prescriptive framework.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 14, 2017, 10:38:51 PM
I've never come across a worse scene than that, rammed to rafters with neo nazi/Britain First supporters and generally snobby wankers who worship the ground that Paul Fenech walks on ignoring the fact that he's probably one of the most appalling cunts to have ever picked up a guitar. He surrounds himself with massive Neo Nazi German skinheads as "security" and basically acts as a gang leader abusing whatever power he has.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Catalogue Trousers

Yeah...like I said, I like the Meteors' music, but gawd Fenech's a fucking dick.

Oh, and I do have a leather cowpoke hat and a leather jacket, though I keep the collar turned down. Hoping that this doesn't brand me as a 50s redneck dicksplat...

purlieu

Quote from: NoSleep on May 15, 2017, 05:49:40 PM
I've heard a fair bit (in passing, as their music has always messaged "nothing of note here" whenever I've heard it) and can't see the appeal. I also note a lot of hyperbole about them being some kind of avant-garde act whilst there's nothing of the kind present in the music.
Oh, you don't need to convince me that they're not a particularly interesting band. I just find that the 'digital Beach Boys' type comparisons tend to come from people who've only heard Merriweather Post-Pavillion, when this description is completely at odds with the messy, lo-fi sounds of Sung Tongs and Feels, for example.