Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:19:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Music genres that attract absolute dickheads

Started by Sydward Lartle, May 14, 2017, 01:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 15, 2017, 06:32:20 PMThen there are the die-hard punk rockers, again, pushing sixty most of them, yet they still wander around looking like they're on their way to a fancy dress party as old shouty-bollocks from the Prodigy, shocking no-one and making a point that was adequately hammered home back in 1980.
Maybe they just like the look.

Sydward Lartle

This load of old shite turns up on the 'trailer reel' on a lot of Arrow's DVD releases. I always choose to fast-forward past it. The state of 'em for fuck's sake.

I'm not saying this is the case, but I get the impression from rockabilly / psychobilly bands that they're just itching to break out the moonshine, white hoods and burning crosses and go out lynching the moment they get off the stage.

Mr Banlon

I used to work with someone from the original line up of The Meteors (also Tall Boys, Zorchmen, Johnson Family). Lovely fella, one of the funniest blokes I've ever met. He's the bloke that told me about Jimmy Savile's noncery way back in 1996 (His missus was a nurse at Stoke Mandeville). Never heard him say anything remotely racist in the two odd years I worked with him. Spent the best part of 8hrs a day gassing with each other as well. Football,  music and the telly from the night before was what we chatted about.

Chairman Bodog

Braindance/Abstract IDM

They're all drug addict losers like me.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 15, 2017, 06:32:20 PM
There is something fucking uniquely depressing about people who latch onto the dress code of a certain genre, decades after the majority of people stopped giving a fuck about it. Paul Weller, for example. Sort your fucking barnet out mate, it's 2017. You're not Steve Marriott. You're not Dave Davies. You're nearly sixty years old and you look a prize plum. Then there are the die-hard punk rockers, again, pushing sixty most of them, yet they still wander around looking like they're on their way to a fancy dress party as old shouty-bollocks from the Prodigy, shocking no-one and making a point that was adequately hammered home back in 1980.

Probably the main reason I can't get into rockabilly or any of its derivatives is that, Buddy Holly aside (because he's fucking unimpeachably perfect in my worthless opinion), the music and iconography of late-fifties American rock 'n' roll boppin' and jivin' juvenile delinquency let's-go-to-the-hop Happy Days bullshit is absolute toxic toilet. Massive hollow-bodied Gretsch guitars, greasy quiffs (on men and women), sideburns, shit jeans with turn-ups, brothel creepers, cowboy hats, leather jackets with the collars turned up, lumberjack shirts with the sleeves cut off, matchstick in the gob, skull-and-crossbones tattoos, a cartoon cat with a quiff and an earring on the bass drum, lyrics about fucking graveyards and ghouls and haunted houses, confederate flags... gah. I'm far from the biggest Beatles fan in the world but thank fuck they came along and made all that pig's garbage history.

You really direct your ire at some of the oddest of targets. Do you honestly give that much of a flying toss of how Paul Weller styles his hair, old punks walking down the street, minding their own business or the rock and roll scene that happened twenty years before you were born?

purlieu

I actually like seeing old punks. It's easy to sneer and think "grow up", but I have a lot of time for people who stick with things they're passionate rather than just treating things as a phase before sinking into anonymity.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 15, 2017, 07:36:07 PM
You really direct your ire at some of the oddest of targets
Quite.

Imagine being angry about the sub-sub-subgenre "happy hardcore" in 2017...

Steven

Quote from: purlieu on May 15, 2017, 07:43:21 PM
I actually like seeing old punks. It's easy to sneer and think "grow up", but I have a lot of time for people who stick with things they're passionate rather than just treating things as a phase before sinking into anonymity.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: purlieu on May 15, 2017, 07:17:25 PM
Oh, you don't need to convince me that they're not a particularly interesting band. I just find that the 'digital Beach Boys' type comparisons tend to come from people who've only heard Merriweather Post-Pavillion, when this description is completely at odds with the messy, lo-fi sounds of Sung Tongs and Feels, for example.

Everything from Sung Tongs onwards is pretty straightforward. Here Comes The Indian, Danse Manatee and Hollinndagain are completely different, before you get into the live stuff which is another thing again, as well as all the unreleased stuff.

Ultimately, music for me isn't about novelty or innovation for the sake of innovation. It's about connecting with the energy and emotional expression of another human being. That's what I love about AC, the songs, the energy, the range of emotions. It's not some perception of the avant garde or what I feel it says about me. I'm lucky to enjoy their music so much, because there's about fifteen or twenty different varieties, including the EPs and solo stuff. That's pretty cool.

I'll have to remember not to make a self-deprecating joke in Oscillations again, though.

Goldentony

I'd just like to defend Southern Culture On The Skids here and say the first self titled LP and Dirt Track Date are two particular favourites.

Re: psychobilly - those first two Demented Are Go LP's - yep!  all of that, cheers

jobotic

NoSleep

Quote from: Shay Chaise on May 15, 2017, 08:08:25 PMIt's not some perception of the avant garde or what I feel it says about me.

Are you implying that's why somebody would be interested in something "avant garde"? I like to hear things unlike anything I've heard before; that's the excitement of music for me; to be genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised. But that's a hard act.

Goldentony

Cowboy hats occupy the crossover between alt country and pigfuck industrial

monkfromhavana

Some, not all, Aphex Twin fans. I'm really talking about the ones who don't like dance music or dancing and whinge on and on and on about how shit it all was, and how Richrad D. was making music that sounded like that in 1981, but he just never released it.

I think all arguments about music are basically the cartesian split in culture form. People who like head music, hate the more physical music because it's only physical, whilst the people jumping around like loons think the head music people are boring.

Saying all that, the people who now attend "UK Hardcore" events (basically, happy hardcore tempo but with Sash! melodies) are people I would definitely cross the street to avoid. They were always there, but at least kept it restrained...now they're off the leash and free to be absolute mongs of the highest order.

Quote from: Goldentony on May 15, 2017, 08:11:06 PM

Re: psychobilly - those first two Demented Are Go LP's - yep!  all of that, cheers
Those two albums were the only ones I liked out of all the UK 'billy albums I've heard. DAG were the only band that had an air of style and menace about them due to Sparky being a complete oddball. One decent band out of the whole scene, a pretty damning stat.

Sydward Lartle

Do a YouTube search for 'Hemsby rockabilly' and you will be spoilt for choice by the plethora of clips that pop up, all of them demonstrating twattishness taken to a surreal and demented degree.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Chairman Bodog on May 15, 2017, 07:34:03 PM
Braindance/Abstract IDM

They're all drug addict losers like me.

I'm glad I grew out of that in my late teens.  I sold a bunch of rare Autechre & Aphex Twin releases last week and feel all the better for it.