Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:07:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A few films that should be better known, or at least more appreciated

Started by Sydward Lartle, May 15, 2017, 01:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Smoke (Paul Auster et al)
Human Nature (Gondry)
Another Woman (Woody Allen)

billtheburger

I always liked Peter Weir's The Plumber. It's a bit like Cable Guy, but 17 years prior and much more paranoid.

Absorb the anus burn

zomgmouse

Quote from: billtheburger on May 16, 2017, 08:41:22 PM
I always liked Peter Weir's The Plumber. It's a bit like Cable Guy, but 17 years prior and much more paranoid.

Yeah! Great film. That and The Cars That Ate Paris are on a double disc together. What a pair. The latter is a well underrated small town conspiracy horror also by Weir.

billtheburger

I always loved the spikey silver beetle from The Cars That Ate Paris.
It's almost as iconic as Frankenstein's car in Death Race 2000

zomgmouse

Poison for the Fairies is a terrific Mexican film about two little girls, one of whom believes in witches and is trying to convince the other. The great thing about this is the way it successfully conveys a child's point of view, from the camera not showing any adults' faces to the simple fact of you knowing there's nothing supernatural going on at all, it's just kids mucking around... but also... there just might be... It's very lovely and strangely captivating. Highly recommended.

Another underseen Mexican witch film (coincidentally the director of the above co-wrote this one) is The Witch's Mirror. It's got everything, witches, thwarted love, face graft surgery, and some striking haunting cinematography. Also recommended.

Mr Banlon

A few antipodean masterpieces ;
Bad Boy Bubby (Aus)
Boy (NZ)
The Odd Angry Shot (Aus)

zomgmouse

Quote from: Mr Banlon on May 17, 2017, 02:06:45 AM
Bad Boy Bubby (Aus)
Ah yes. Rolf De Heer's entire back catalogue is films that need to be known more. Dingo is the only acting credit of Miles Davis and is a great little film about a trumpeter wanting to make it big and meet his hero. The Quiet Room is a harrowing portrait of a girl who takes a vow of silence as a response to her parents' divorce. Alexandra's Project is a nasty domestic revenge tale. He's so good.

GeeWhiz

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 16, 2017, 08:37:28 PM
Smoke (Paul Auster et al)
Human Nature (Gondry)
Another Woman (Woody Allen)

I'm also really fond of the film adaptation of Auster's Music of Chance with James Spader and Mandy Patinkin. A curio.

Serge

Yes! And a cameo from Auster himself, who only appears for five seconds but still manages to be totally wooden. 'Smoke' and 'Blue In The Face' are both great - the latter showing that Lou Reed did have a sense of humour. I've still never got around to seeing 'Lulu On The Bridge', which never got a proper release over here at the time. Must look into that.