Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:30:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad intros to good songs

Started by zomgmouse, May 15, 2017, 01:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

This thread inspired by Spandau Ballet's "Gold" which I've had stuck in my head for the past week. It's a solid solid track except for the somewhat embarrassing opening few lines which sound like they've been dragged by the hair out of a subpar off-Broadway flop.

Any others?

armful

Letterbomb by Greenday a really good song ruined by it's introduction. A woman singing a crap playground chant  in a child-like voice. In fact it's the worst intro to any song ever.

https://youtu.be/sX3ve_1vRA8

wosl

New Musik - They All Run After The Carving Knife.  Crisp, catchy - if dated - little new wave/synthy pop song prefaced by nearly a minute of lurching and belching electro-rhythm effects (I think it might be an attempt to evoke being in the womb immediately prior to being forced out onto the starting-line of life, but I could be wrong).

Dr Syntax Head

Washing Machine by Sonic Youth. Starts with some pretty generic SY by numbers skitters guitar before a lengthy growing wall of feedback loveliness for the rest of the song.

non capisco

The wildly out of tune bass in the intro to Toots and the Maytals' joyous "Sweet & Dandy".

Sydward Lartle

I think All Because of You by Geordie has the ultimate 'this'll be shit I reckon' intro, but luckily once the drums slam in, it turns into a glam rock stomper. Not 'arf mate!

Hugh Jass

Quote from: armful on May 15, 2017, 08:32:35 AM
Letterbomb by Greenday a really good song ruined by it's introduction. A woman singing a crap playground chant  in a child-like voice. In fact it's the worst intro to any song ever.

Similar to Nirvana's Territorial Pissings, which begins with Krist Novoselic's mocking rendition of Get Together, which makes me want to turn off the music and punch the entire band in the face.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

XTC - Living Through Another Cuba

Took me literally two years to not skip that fucking intro and realise there's actually a great song in there.

Chriddof

Quote from: wosl on May 15, 2017, 02:45:45 PM
New Musik - They All Run After The Carving Knife.  Crisp, catchy - if dated - little new wave/synthy pop song prefaced by nearly a minute of lurching and belching electro-rhythm effects (I think it might be an attempt to evoke being in the womb immediately prior to being forced out onto the starting-line of life, but I could be wrong).

I'd not heard that song before (though I am aware of the band), but I actually like that intro, even if it does go on a bit too long. It sounds a lot like some kind of early 80s industrial / noise / avant band of some kind. I was half-expecting the bloke from the Residents to start singing on top of it.

Also I agree with the Territorial Pissings nomination. Another example of the same thing from the same band is Tourette's from In Utero - over some perfectly serviceable guitar scrapings someone (Kurt?) sneers "...Moderate rock!", which even as a 14 year old annoyed me.

non capisco

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 16, 2017, 06:41:54 PM
XTC - Living Through Another Cuba

Took me literally two years to not skip that fucking intro and realise there's actually a great song in there.

The 'oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh!' bit? That's great, you monster!

I've got to say as a collective we are absolutely flooding this sub-forum with XTC mentions of late. It's glorious!