Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:50:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Powers Boothe dead (you will know his face)

Started by Bazooka, May 15, 2017, 03:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeah, he was cracking in Deadwood and a pretty good Philip Marlowe.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He did good bad. Great sinister voice, too.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

An actor with the kind of towering presence you seldom see any more. Well, especially not now that he's dead.

This sad news has reminded me to finally watch his Emmy-winning performance as top cult leader Jim Jones. The whole mini-series is available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l992U04zC4w

selectivememory

He was perfectly cast in Deadwood. Really looked and sounded the part, but he also played it so well. I think Cy was a very complex character - at times vicious and menacing and at others a whiny, needy coward - and he just nailed it in his performance.

It's a shame that if they do ever make the Deadwood film they've been talking about, we won't see him in it.

Quote from: selectivememory on May 15, 2017, 03:40:06 PM
It's a shame that if that if they do ever make the Deadwood film they've been talking about, we won't see him in it.

Ah fuck, I didn't realise that until you said it.

mothman

Black_Bart

How many of you watched the Goodbye Girl?

Probably a lovely chap in real life, but he had an unerring gift for playing truly sinister, intimidating villains.

As selectivememory says, in lesser hands, Cy from Deadwood could've come across as a stock panto baddie. Boothe managed to infuse him with a pathetic, wheedling quality, which made that character more interesting and unpleasant.

He was one of those pros who was always great in everything; this wonderful business of show would be lost without solid, talented character actors like him.

Quote from: Black_Bart on May 15, 2017, 03:53:15 PM
How many of you watched the Goodbye Girl?

I've seen it, I'm sure others have too. What's your point? I think Boothe only appears in the film for about 10 seconds.

Ambient Sheep

He was great in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. too.

asids

Is it bad I only really know him from the Van Damme flick Sudden Death? He's almost unrecognisable in the pic posted up there compared to what he looked like back then.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 15, 2017, 04:11:20 PM
Both he and Bill Paxton played baddies on that and now both are dead. Coincidence?

Obviously, yes.

They were both in Tombstone as well, though. Kurt Russell better watch out.

Ignatius_S

Sad news – always put in a great performance. I'm particularly fond of Southern Comfort, a Walter Hill film that he co-starred in with Keith Carradine.

Quote from: Bazooka on May 15, 2017, 03:25:06 PM...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_Boothe

He had a cracking name, and was great in Deadwood.

Indeed – and it would have been interesting to see how he would have played Al Swearengen.

Southern Comfort is a favourite of mine, too (no pun intended). I also enjoyed his role in By Dawn's Early Light.

Without knowing all the ins and outs, his defiance of the 1980 SAG strike takes the shine off things a bit.

Custard

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Lazy Gondolier on May 15, 2017, 06:04:03 PM
Southern Comfort is a favourite of mine, too (no pun intended). I also enjoyed his role in By Dawn's Early Light.

Without knowing all the ins and outs, his defiance of the 1980 SAG strike takes the shine off things a bit.

Southern Comfort is a grand film. Quality soundtrack and all.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 15, 2017, 04:11:20 PM

Turns out that that was actually his final role. :-(

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 15, 2017, 03:36:49 PM
Yeah, he was cracking in Deadwood and a pretty good Philip Marlowe.

The first run of the Marlowe - Private Eye series, largely an LWT production, alas had its British screening delayed, having already been released on video in the mean time, and was rather overshadowed in the vintage detective stakes by Granada's (admittedly excellent) Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett, made later but shown on ITV simultaneously.

Dex Sawash

I think I give him credit for stuff Gregory Peck probably did. Always surprised when I look at his filmography that I dont recognize much of it and there isnt all that much. Sure was great in the things I did see though.

Dr Funke

Quote from: selectivememory on May 15, 2017, 03:40:06 PM
He was perfectly cast in Deadwood. Really looked and sounded the part, but he also played it so well. I think Cy was a very complex character - at times vicious and menacing and at others a whiny, needy coward - and he just nailed it in his performance.

It's a shame that if they do ever make the Deadwood film they've been talking about, we won't see him in it.
Pretty sure I read that Boothe was originally cast for the part of Al Swearengen but was ill at the time of filming, so Ian McShane came in and Milch then created the role of Cy for him. Think it worked out for the best.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 15, 2017, 04:35:55 PM
Both he and Bill Paxton played baddies on that and now both are dead. Coincidence?

Obviously, yes.

They were both in Tombstone as well, though. Kurt Russell better watch out.

And let's not forget the excellent and under-rated Frailty!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264616/

selectivememory

Quote from: Dr Funke on May 19, 2017, 07:39:13 PM
Pretty sure I read that Boothe was originally cast for the part of Al Swearengen but was ill at the time of filming, so Ian McShane came in and Milch then created the role of Cy for him. Think it worked out for the best.

Yeah, I'd say so! Boothe was great, but McShane as Swearengen gave a performance for the ages. Almost impossible to imagine anyone else playing Al (although by the same token, Boothe really was an excellent fit for his role).

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Dr Funke on May 19, 2017, 07:39:13 PM

Not quite – Boothe was Milch's second pick for Swearengen.

Milch wrote the part for Ed O'Neill, a casting that HBO were leery about and who kyboshed him getting the role; this is one reason that Milch cast him in John from Cincinnati.

Boothe was then pencilled in, but because of illness (as you say), McShane then got the role.

As I mentioned above, it would have been interesting seeing Boothe  - both him and O'Neill share a fairly similar build and feel that either's portrayal of Swearengen would have resulted in a more physically imposing character, which would be quite a contrast to McShane.

Dr Funke

Thanks for clarifying. I like O'Neill but can't recall seeing him in many serious roles (which is probably my failing). It's hard to think of anyone else as Al now.