Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,205
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:14:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

We need to talk about Tekken

Started by thehungerartist, May 16, 2017, 12:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 18, 2017, 04:39:34 PMI'm sure some fighting game aficionado would argue that it offers a much deeper, more rewarding experience than the Capcom games.

Not a chance. It's a good series but it's nowhere near SF in complexity or skill ceiling.

EFB

Tekken 7 is so pretty. I've been playing the treasure missions and dressing up my characters.

Shay Chaise

The reviews for this are excellent, supposedly the best ever Tekken fighting mechanics. I'm quite tempted but I don't play on the PS4 very much these days. I also don't know if I can spread myself across three fighters, with USF2 and maybe ARMS, as well as the occasional SFV. I'm also tempted by Injustice from all the rave comments, I just don't like superhero stuff or I'd probably be onto that.

Thursday

Gave in to temptation and picked this up last night. Not played a Tekken game, since the first Tekken Tag, and yet the muscle memory is still there for some moves.

HappyTree

Quote from: Consignia on May 17, 2017, 09:54:59 PM
I am, of course of, lying. It actually refers to a very perverse sexual practice, untranslatable to Western sensibilities.
You're just Tekken the piss!

I didn't realise Noam Chomsky had taken up martial arts. Nice one, Noamy!

Barry Admin

I'm not really into superhero stuff anymore myself, but still love Injustice 2 to bits. I just don't know about Tekken though. I need to keep practicing regularly at Injustice for starters. I'm just not sure I like the Tekken games that much, even though I played them a lot back in the day. I've actually seen conflicting reviews too; Forbes says the story is weak as piss next to Injustice 2, and that the graphics are terrible. Seems like there are also some bugs, with online tournament mode needing some tweaking. None of the clips on Xbox ever have any sound, either, wtf?? I'll probably get given it for my birthday to be honest, and hopefully 3 weeks will see it patched up.

BeardFaceMan

Tekken 2 was the first fighting game I went mental for, learning all the 10 string combos for every character just to piss off my mates, that game was so fucking good. Haven't played a Tekken since Tekken Tag Tournament though, I couldn't get into that one at all and I haven't played one since. I think modern fighters are a bit too complex for me to get good at, I got my arse regularly handed to me playing Killer Instinct online, losing to kids who hadn't even been born when I was busy wrecking motherfuckers at the Megabowl KI arcade cabinet. I had a quick mess about on Injustice and it looked ok but superhero stuff generally doesn't interest me so I had no motivation to actually learn how to play the game.

wasp_f15ting

Last Tekken I had was on the PS2..

Note to self my reflexes and ability to count moves has gone.

I cant even go past the cheapo arcade modes after a few levels.. need a weekend to practice.

Thursday

Here's a good thing about Tekken, Eddy and "button mashing" in fighting games.

https://medium.com/@andihero/push-button-to-play-70a98c8572b3

Hank Venture

Dead or Alive > Mortal Kombat> Soul Calibur > Tekken > Street Fighter

Bazooka

Quote from: Hank Venture on June 12, 2017, 11:41:20 PM

Mate don't forget Virtua Fighter.

Shay Chaise

The arrows go the other way mate

TheWoodenSpoon

Fucking hellfire, what the Christ is this order?

Van Dammage

Quote from: Shay Chaise on May 18, 2017, 08:36:01 PM
Not a chance. It's a good series but it's nowhere near SF in complexity or skill ceiling.

I would have went the other way. Tekken feels much more complex than SF to me.

Anyone still playing this on PS4? Got it on sale recently and managed to claw my way up to warrior rank online.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Van Dammage on August 08, 2017, 03:37:09 AM
I would have went the other way. Tekken feels much more complex than SF to me.

In what sense? Tekken is closer to Killer Instinct than Street Fighter, complex in terms of learning long strings of combos to punish but a very basic neutral/spacing/footsies game.

Barry Admin

I picked up Tekken 6 for £4 there, it's on sale at the moment. Seems alright; to be honest I've really got back into EA UFC 2 a lot over the last few days, as it's a much deeper fighter than I at first realised.

I watched the intro movie for Tekken 6 when I was having a drink the other night, and I sort of HAVE to see things through to the end once they're started. Well, it turned out to be some kind of entire history of the Tekken storyline that made me want to self-immolate like that Buddhist monk.

Thursday

oh christ i'm so sorry you went through that.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Shay Chaise on August 08, 2017, 03:57:36 AM
In what sense? Tekken is closer to Killer Instinct than Street Fighter, complex in terms of learning long strings of combos to punish but a very basic neutral/spacing/footsies game.

The long strings and massive movesets is a part of it (and the larger variation in characters styles) considering the massive amounts of frame data that comes along with that but I think calling the spacing and neutral games very basic is doing it a disservice. In the more recent tekken games movement and spacing has become integral to winning fights. The pacing isn't as fast of course but mastering the korean backdash / backdash cancel and proper sidestepping in Tekken is painfully difficult but also massively important at higher level play. You can know all the long strings in the game but without good spacing or reading of the neutral game you'll be ripped to shreds.

Tbf I do feel there isn't a concrete answer to which is more complex but I've spent a lot of time with both series and to me Tekken feels much more complicated to get the hang of. How much experience have you with the newer tekken games?

Completely off topic here but I watched this again recently and it's far and away the greatest fighting game moment of all time - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzS96auqau0&t=1s

Barry Admin

Knew it would be the Daigo parry. There's a video where he tries to recreate it with Justin Wong. Fun stuff.

Edit: it's in the recommended: https://youtube.com/watch?v=3nC2D6sOrbg

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Van Dammage on August 09, 2017, 12:52:02 AM
. Tbf I do feel there isn't a concrete answer to which is more complex but I've spent a lot of time with both series and to me Tekken feels much more complicated to get the hang of. How much experience have you with the newer tekken games?

Thanks for the reply. To be completely honest with you, I haven't played much of any Tekken since Tekken 2, though I have dipped into most over the years, particularly in the arcades. I totally appreciate what you're saying about the fundamentals of movement across the axes being more complex and important than Street Fighter, I can see that. If I see the new one on sale, I'm still well inclined to pick it up, and now moreso.

Let's go, Justin!

Bazooka

I'm afraid to tell you that Virtua Fighter is the most technical. Acually scrap that it's Sonic Fighters.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 09, 2017, 01:15:57 AM
Knew it would be the Daigo parry. There's a video where he tries to recreate it with Justin Wong. Fun stuff.

Edit: it's in the recommended: https://youtube.com/watch?v=3nC2D6sOrbg

It's amazing that he could pull it out of the bag again. Parry's in street fighter 3 were a pain to pull of correctly and I can't even imagine what it would be like in a tournament setting.  I like watching the two of them fight, they seem to both enjoy playing each other.

Quote from: Shay Chaise on August 09, 2017, 07:09:28 AM
Thanks for the reply. To be completely honest with you, I haven't played much of any Tekken since Tekken 2, though I have dipped into most over the years, particularly in the arcades. I totally appreciate what you're saying about the fundamentals of movement across the axes being more complex and important than Street Fighter, I can see that. If I see the new one on sale, I'm still well inclined to pick it up, and now moreso.

If you can get Tekken 7 on the cheap I'd say definitely go for it. I can't see any reason why a fighting game fan would be displeased with it. (Aside from small things like Lei Wulong not being in it...WANKERS!. Particularly shite because both Panda and Kuma are in the game but Lei, Anna, Ganryu and the likes are missing.)

Chairman Bodog

Barry Admin

If you're on Xbox one, you have a day or two to grab Tekken 6 for a few quid, and also Virtua Fighter 5.

Still got a 360? Then you can also get Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online for 75% off, and Street Fighter X Tekken for £2.99. Hopefully these will become backwards compatible at some point.

Deals reset on Tuesday.

boki

kngen

I started playing Tekken Tournament 2 online last night because I plumped for a PS Now sub. Kept getting paired with a twat whose two characters were Eddie and the woman that is basically also Eddie. You can fuck right off with that shite. Went back to SFII instead. It's by far the better game.

Van Dammage

Quote from: kngen on September 13, 2017, 01:52:40 PM
I started playing Tekken Tournament 2 online last night because I plumped for a PS Now sub. Kept getting paired with a twat whose two characters were Eddie and the woman that is basically also Eddie. You can fuck right off with that shite. Went back to SFII instead. It's by far the better game.

Tag 2 had some proper cuntish match ups for lazy cunts who want identical character's. Eddie / Christie, Lili / Her Butler, The two Jacks, The two Laws, Asuka / Jun.

Mister Six

You know how the Tekken games have really complex fiddly storylines about people dying and falling out and having dads and brothers and stuff? How the fuck were you supposed to know about all that shit back in the arcade game days?

Like, I know they've been doing elaborate intro cinematics in these games since the beginning, but they're usually just a big load of bish-bash action moments, not a coherent storyline. How did gamers of yore find out what the stories were supposed to be?

Van Dammage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSgA_nK_w3A

Interesting video about the dumbing down of fighting games in general to make them more accessible (emphasis on SFV). One insane thing he highlights is that literally anyone can pull off the Daigo Parry in SF5 simply by mashing buttons.