Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:11:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mistakes in otherwise great songs

Started by Cuellar, May 16, 2017, 10:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Small things:

Robert Plant comes in too soon with "So now you'd better stop" in Immigrant Song

Someone almost comes in early with an 's' (at 18secs in) in the version of Stir It Up on Whistle Test

https://vimeo.com/158990224

On Stand By Me an engineer forgets to fade Ben E King's microphone back up after the middle eight, and it sounds like he's walking back to the microphone late.

Someone forgets to turn off the ADT on McCartney in Eleanor Rigby after the opening chorus and gets turned off after the "El" of "Eleanor"

Oh, and McCartney's lead guitar on "Another Girl" is full of mistakes, and flubs, like you'd given me a guitar to have a bash at it.

poodlefaker

On the theme of "wrong choice of words", watching TOTP the other night, it struck me that "Why pamper life's complexities ..." is wrong. I think he probably meant "pander to" or perhaps "ponder".

daf

Also pronounces plagiarise with a hard G in 'Cemetry Gates', the big plum - probably having only seen it written down.

the science eel

Quote from: daf on May 17, 2017, 03:34:00 PM
Also pronounces plagiarise with a hard G in 'Cemetry Gates', the big plum - probably having only seen it written down.

Mark E Smith does the same thing! must be a Manc thing...

MiddleRabbit

It's the mark of the autodidact.  Reading, as opposed to being told.

In The Mamas and Papas', 'I Saw Her Again Last Night', in addition to being Papa John's hurt response to Denny and Michelle's affair, Denny comes (in) too soon on the last chorus, but realises his mistake and stops after 'I saw her...'

8 million edits because my brain is collapsing

Cuellar

Quote from: poodlefaker on May 17, 2017, 03:22:19 PM
On the theme of "wrong choice of words", watching TOTP the other night, it struck me that "Why pamper life's complexities ..." is wrong. I think he probably meant "pander to" or perhaps "ponder".

In cases like this I think I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the writer; if he said 'pamper', he means pamper. Morrissey is a literate sort of guy, and I think using slightly jarring words is part of the poetry of the thing. Takes you out of the cliche and makes you think about things.

Right, I'm going to find the timestamps for Joe South's cock ups on Visions of Johanna because I'm bored:

1:56 - at the line 'We can hear the nightwatchman...' South goes to the D chord, as in the previous two lines, but everyone else go to E. You can tell he's cocked up because he pauses for a second before finding the right note. I've done it hundreds of times.

4:41 - 'But Mona Lisa must have had...' same as above. Stays on the D chord. Get it together, Joe mate.

6:27 - 'The fiddler he now steps...' - Now, this one is more understandable, because Dylan catches him out by adding more lines of the D to A chord progression whereas every other verse had three. So, learning his lesson (see above), South moves to E on the fourth line, but THIS TIME everyone else stays on D. Poor Joe, he can't catch a break!

Right it seems that's all of them, so maybe not as many as I said before. Sorry Joe.

daf

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on May 17, 2017, 07:02:44 PM
It's the mark of the autodidact.  Reading, as opposed to being told.

Sort of the opposite with 'Piccadilly Palare' - i.e. heard (on 'Round the Horne' possibly?) rather than read, as it's usually written as 'polari'.

studpuppet

The one on The Fragile isn't a mistake. There is essentially a missing beat where the bass drum hits where on subsequent choruses there is a snare. As you say, if it were, it wouldn't have taken long to fix, especially as Rez does everything digitally, and it's quite a sparse mix. They did reproduce it live, but maybe it vanished in later years. Certainly on this video from around the time of release it is still there at around the 1:20 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBKwtK1J30c