Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:54:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rochdale nonce drama

Started by Quincey, May 16, 2017, 10:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quincey

The old thread seems to have been lost in betwen hacks so a reminder its on tonight at 9pm on BBC1, part 2 on Wednesday and part 3 on Thursday.

QuoteA former Greater Manchester police detective who resigned over the force's handling of the Rochdale child sexual abuse scandal has claimed that offenders identified in the original investigation are still free to abuse young girls in the town.

Speaking before the airing of a new BBC1 drama, Three Girls – which tells the story of three victims in the 2012 Rochdale sex grooming case – Margaret Oliver said police had still not learned lessons and called for the law to be changed so that senior officers could be prosecuted for negligence.

Oliver, who is played by Lesley Sharp in the three-part series, said she was still in touch with many of the victims. "I'm speaking to kids who are telling me that even to this day they are seeing offenders that they've named, walking around Rochdale," she said. "Somebody saw one in London, another person told me that one has moved around the corner from her.

"That's why I'm saying things haven't changed, because those men have been named by those girls [to the police ...] and I know that they're still out there walking around."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/16/offenders-in-rochdale-child-sexual-abuse-scandal-remain-at-large

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I've seen this, it's outstanding. Harrowing stuff, of course, but full of righteous compassion for the victims and their families.

The performances are uniformly excellent; the three girls themselves are heartbreakingly natural, as is Paul "Dennis Pennis" Kaye as the father of one of them. He's come a long way, that lad.

Line of Duty notwithstanding, it's the best British TV drama of the year so far.

3D

It should have been called "Several Thousand Girls".

Quote from: 3D on May 16, 2017, 11:30:00 PM

Did you actually watch it? Racist cunts like you are roundly lambasted in episode three.

Dex Sawash

[tag] TDT horse names [/tag]

Quincey

Only 47 victims were identified. Even if some were missed, several thousand is an exaggeration surely?

Serge

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 16, 2017, 11:45:12 PM
Did you actually watch it? Racist cunts like you are roundly lambasted in episode three.

Of course he didn't watch it. Why would he let actual facts get in the way of his belligerent ignorance?

jobotic

Girls that cunts like you despise unless they can use them to attack Muslims.

Fuck off cunt.

hedgehog90

Just saw the first episode of this with my mum.
I unreservedly just do not get most English dramas, to me anyway they appear completely unconvincing bollocks, with a blue-grey filter on-top. Some I can tolerate but I usually steer clear of them.
This, however, was excellent. I knew nothing about it going in and slowly got more and more gripped as it progressed.
The girls are so bloody good, I don't think I've seen a more convincing portrayal of sort of mouthy, troubled young girls like that.
And what a treat to see Paul Kaye, I haven't seen him in anything in years, he's great.
They were all great.
It was great.

I asked my mum what she thought of it afterwards and she grimaced and said 'not my cup of tea'. I didn't press her but I suspect she didn't feel a great deal of sympathy towards the characters, as some people are so inclined unfortunately.

shh

1,400 (at least) according to the Jay Report for Rotherham

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/downloads/file/1407/independent_inquiry_cse_in_rotherham

Does one of the episodes cover the local council removing foster children from a UKIP couple:

'Rotherham Borough Council said the children were "not indigenous white British" and that it had concerns about UKIP's stance on immigration.'

Dr Syntax Head

As someone that worked in youth support sexual health and having to refer too many young girls to risk because they were clearly being groomed, I have no intention or need to watch this as I know exactly what goes on. But I'm very glad this has been made as it raises much needed awareness of an ongoing issue of child exploitation. It's fucked and makes me want to leave planet, there is so little support and education around young people and sexual exploitation. They get ignored even now and it's truly sickening.

I had to take an extended break from the job (it was volunteering) as it did get a bit much for me. But I'm in a good place now so seriously considering signing up again. I seem to have a skill where I can get teenagers to open up to me, I shouldn't waste it I suppose.

Edit. Who cares about that

jobotic

So do I. Hats off to you.

BritishHobo

Maxine Peake is fucking Wonder Woman, I love her.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 18, 2017, 12:49:16 PM
As someone that worked in youth support sexual health and having to refer too many young girls to risk because they were clearly being groomed, I have no intention or need to watch this as I know exactly what goes on. But I'm very glad this has been made as it raises much needed awareness of an ongoing issue of child exploitation. It's fucked and makes me want to leave planet, there is so little support and education around young people and sexual exploitation. They get ignored even now and it's truly sickening.

I had to take an extended break from the job (it was volunteering) as it did get a bit much for me. But I'm in a good place now so seriously considering signing up again. I seem to have a skill where I can get teenagers to open up to me, I shouldn't waste it I suppose.

Edit. Who cares about that

My job deals with these types of cases all the time, and it can very easily get under your skin, causing you to focus in on the bleakness in the world. However I always try to consider that, although the bad things have happened/are happening, you're providing a vital step - however seemingly small - on the road to helping people get out of/deal with/improve their a situation and hopefully prevent things getting worse, and even help prevent it happening to others, if only by raising awareness.

You did nothing wrong in taking a break - your own health is important too, and you're better able to help others when you're also looking after yourself. It can get overwhelming.

Icehaven

Two of our orderlies at work watched this yesterday so we were talking about it today. They're both Asian and Muslim, and they were saying as well as finding it revolting, they had a particular anger towards the offenders as the whole thing 'gave them a bad name', as they know first hand the tendency some people have to generalise (i.e. all Asian men are like that), and that when talking about it they felt they had to be excessively vocal about how much it disgusted them to try and mitigate that effect.
They also both thought the apparent fear of racism that prevented more being done about it sooner was ridiculous, particularly given that they're both also part of a large, almost exclusively Asian criminal gang, just different kinds of crimes, and there didn't seem to be a similar compunction about the Police going after them, as if there's this perception you're being racist if you go after a group of Asian men if they're sex offenders, but not if they're drug/firearms dealers. One of them also said he was glad he sold his chicken shop before coming to prison as he half expected it to get firebombed now, but I think he was joking.

Dannyhood91

I'm only on episode one of this but I haven't felt this uncomfortable with a drama since I watched Nil By Mouth for the first time.

"Shall I do a prossie dance for ya?"

Fucking hell :(

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on May 19, 2017, 01:24:58 PM
I'm only on episode one of this but I haven't felt this uncomfortable with a drama since I watched Nil By Mouth for the first time.

"Shall I do a prossie dance for ya?"

Fucking hell :(

Watched Ep1 last night. BBC modern drama at its best.  Not seen anything on TV as harrowing as this since No Child Of Mine twenty years ago; proving this horror crosses class and race.

A creepy scene from it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0agQXy-6vrQ

Dannyhood91

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 19, 2017, 01:37:56 PM
Watched Ep1 last night. BBC modern drama at its best.  Not seen anything on TV as harrowing as this since No Child Of Mine twenty years ago; proving this horror crosses class and race.

A creepy scene from it

I see the full things on YouTube. I'll give that a blast this evening I think. Cheers.

colacentral

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 17, 2017, 08:01:13 PM
Just saw the first episode of this with my mum.
I unreservedly just do not get most English dramas, to me anyway they appear completely unconvincing bollocks, with a blue-grey filter on-top. Some I can tolerate but I usually steer clear of them.
This, however, was excellent. I knew nothing about it going in and slowly got more and more gripped as it progressed.
The girls are so bloody good, I don't think I've seen a more convincing portrayal of sort of mouthy, troubled young girls like that.
And what a treat to see Paul Kaye, I haven't seen him in anything in years, he's great.
They were all great.
It was great.

I asked my mum what she thought of it afterwards and she grimaced and said 'not my cup of tea'. I didn't press her but I suspect she didn't feel a great deal of sympathy towards the characters, as some people are so inclined unfortunately.

I agree with you about most british drama, especially the blue-grey filter, and glad to see someone else mention it. They're all grim, and dull, and no one ever smiles or jokes about anything. It's completely unreal while claiming to be gritty and realistic. I actually find that aspect of our tv culture - to claim to represent reality while showing nothing of the sort- to be alienating, in the sense that I sometimes have doubts and wonder "is this what real people are like when I'm not around?" But they're not, it's bollocks.

Not "Three Girls" though, I thought it was really good, and considering the nature of the story it had a fair amount of humour in there (in the first one anyway, I haven't caught up with the rest).

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 17, 2017, 08:01:13 PM

They were all great.
It was great.

Paul Kaye really is underrated as an actor. Always so versatile.

And yes, everybody was great in what must've been very sensitive roles to tackle. The young actresses dealt with that subject matter head on with such strength.  And the Asian characters were superbly acted too, in that respect. 'Daddy' was particularly chilling because initially, you would want to go to his jolly kebab place if you were thirteen with all those free chips on offer.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 19, 2017, 05:41:42 PM
'Daddy' was particularly chilling because initially, you would want to go to his jolly kebab place if you were thirteen with all those free chips on offer.

The Peter Sallis voice is unsettlingly reassuring too.

BritishHobo

The three girls were fantastic, brilliant acting. The change in them over just three episodes was really summat to behold, going from bubbly to withdrawn and holding on to so much pain and anger.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Bloody hell, it's Lisa Riley!

I know this is a super-serious topic but this is quality for the surprise return of 90s people

Neomod

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 19, 2017, 01:37:56 PM

A creepy scene from it

Oh christ that's one of the only tv dramas that has upset me so much I couldn't continue to watch it.

Dannyhood91

This bothersome little shit seemed to like it which makes me feel bad for liking it.

BritishHobo

Wonder what he thought of the digs at BNP-esque attempts to turn the tragedy into a racist campaign? There's a bit in the last episode (where a protestor shouts PAEDO p**i at someone who actually turns out to be a prosecutor on the case) that I've literally seen happen in a video on Britain First, where BF protestors who gathered at the trial of a Muslim guy ended up cornering and abusing a group of Muslims who turned out to be the family of the murdered victim.