Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:50:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Forum navigatiin weirdness

Started by Dex Sawash, May 16, 2017, 02:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

thenoise

Literally never used the previous or next buttons.

Barry Admin

Was that not just for a wee while in the early hours of this morning? About 20 hours ago? I installed a security update which took the forum offline for about half an hour and caused some errors and squeaky bums, then I put in a redirect for people visiting the main domain - it was ballsed up for a wee while but should be long fixed. If it reoccurs please let me know how to replicate it, i.e. From which thread. Thanks you Yankee Doodle dandy.

Dex Sawash

Still doing it some. To get to another thread I have to use the pull-down jump menu and jump to another sub forum and then jump back to GB. Will try it from my tablet when I get home

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 16, 2017, 09:22:44 PM
Was that not just for a wee while in the early hours of this morning? About 20 hours ago? I installed a security update which took the forum offline for about half an hour and caused some errors and squeaky bums, then I put in a redirect for people visiting the main domain - it was ballsed up for a wee while but should be long fixed. If it reoccurs please let me know how to replicate it, i.e. From which thread. Thanks you Yankee Doodle dandy.

I never use previous and next thread topic buttons, but something very similar has been happening for me, ever since you mostly fixed it after the half-hour complete downtime.  It seems to be whenever the URL of the form:

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/board,6.0.html
rather than:
http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?board=6.0

is used.  Which for me is whenever I click the "General Bullshit" link in the "Cook'd and Bomb'd » Forums » General Bullshit" chain that appears at the top and bottom of each page, or the actual main "General Bullshit" link on the main forum index page (above the words "General discussion. Contents may change without notice. Your statutory rights remain unaffected.").

I *think* the other forums were broken in a similar way in and around that half-an-hour-or-so time period, but now seem ok.

EDIT: This problem has been (and still is) occurring under Firefox 53.0.2 (32-bit) on Windows 7.  Both Chrome and the default "Internet" browser on a Samsung S5 via the same domestic wi-fi seem ok; but I'm almost certain that earlier they weren't ok, so maybe it is some kind of DNS weirdness.  Hmmm, just did ipconfig /flushdns on the Windows box and it's made no difference.  Guess it's maybe a Firefox thing then?

Like Dex, to get back to the GB index page I either have to use the pull-down jump menu (although now I've realised that I can just hit "Go" on the extant "General Bullshit" display, rather than going to another sub-forum and back again), or I've been pulling the "=6.0" version of the bookmark out of Firefox's address bar drop-down list.  (Annoyingly my Firefox thumbnail is for the ",6.0" variant!)

Dex Sawash

My tablet is fine.
On my phone the only way I can get in to GB is to go to another subforum from main forum listing and then use the "jump to" pulldown menu. My old thumbnail link in my google "frequently visted" tile thing does the same thing.

Maybe the next/prev was OK the whole time, not sure now.

Maybe it is some sort of DNS artifact from before the changes? nb; no idea if that is possible, just have had erratic page displays in a corporate environment that were down to squirelly DNS stuff.
Pretty sure my phone and home router are jusing opendns. Not really fully sure what DNS is as I am not a ones and zeros guy.

Dex Sawash

Ambient Sheep

Interesting, because my Firefox does imply it can be cookie-related:

QuoteThe page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

but I'm a bit loath to clear my CaB cookies; will that cause the knowledge of which threads I've read or not to be cleared too, or is that all done server-side?

Did you notice any other effects from clearing your cookies, Dex?  (Apart from probably having to log in again.)

Dex Sawash

The orange "new" labels are working correctly

Ambient Sheep

Just cleared my cookdandbombd.co.uk cookie, to no effect, then, whilst scrolling through the list to see if there were any other likely-looking culprits, accidentally cleared ALL my cookies, and it STILL does it.

EDIT: Oh, except that it now takes me to http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/404.html rather than the previous ...forums/forums/forums... mess.  Firefox still gives exactly the same warning message though (about endless redirects and cookies may be involved).

Seems it's just me though, judging by the tumbleweed going through this thread...

Barry Admin

I'm sorry, I've been unable to replicate it. I'll have a go on my tablet later.

Ambient Sheep

Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial, but may I please just flag up that this is still happening to me?

All cookies cleared, Firefox restarted, the whole machine restarted, Firefox now just upgraded itself (to 53.0.3 32-bit), and... yeah, still happening.  I hate to whinge but it is starting to drive me slightly mental now.

Is nobody else with Firefox having this problem, or is it simply that nobody else uses Firefox any more?

steveh

I had the same problem in Firefox - clicked on the new button next to a thread and then it got into a redirect loop on that 404 page. Just for that one thread and then clicking on the last page in the thread cleared it.

Barry Admin

Ok I'll see if I can get Firefox for my tablet, sorry about this. Thanks for letting me know.

Ambient Sheep

Thank you.  The annoying thing is, it'll probably work fine... the lack of other reports does make me think it's only this machine, but having done all of the above (and flushed DNS, and disabled plug-ins/extensions), I'm at an absolute loss to work out what to do.

Just to reiterate, it only goes bad on any General Bullshit links that end in the form index.php/board,6.0.html; ones of the form index.php?board=6.0 work fine.  But links to all other subforums work fine no matter what their format.

It's OK, it's sorted!!!  Fixed it very simply - just cleared my browser's cache.  I'm so sorry for wasting your time, Barry, I should have thought of that a LONG time ago, it's just that in this day and age you so rarely need to do it that it never occurred to me.  I am a complete twonk, though, apologies again.