Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Woody Allen FaceBook Q&A!

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, May 16, 2017, 10:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

This sounds like the last thing Woody Allen would ever willingly agree to - hence why it might be an amusing car crash - but the great man is answering questions about Annie Hall on FaceBook tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/AnnieHallFilm/

I just can't imagine him taking part in something like this, but apparently it's actually happening.

Glebe

Fucking hell, that's a strange one... for one thing he's a notorious technophobe, and for another he risks being trolled with nonce-abuse.

JoeyBananaduck

Probably should have thought twice about being a nonce, to be fair. I don't think huffing on your infant's vagina* and then taking naked photos of your barely past pubescent step-daughter behind your wife's back** leaves much grey area.

*allegedly
**definitely

He'll just ignore all that stuff. Questions about Annie Hall will also be given short shrift. Why on earth is he doing this?

Keebleman

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 16, 2017, 11:12:56 PM
He'll just ignore all that stuff. Questions about Annie Hall will also be given short shrift. Why on earth is he doing this?

Annie Hall's 40th anniversary.  Ruby Annie Hall!

Quote from: Keebleman on May 16, 2017, 11:20:25 PM
Annie Hall's 40th anniversary.  Ruby Annie Hall!

Yes, I know it's the film's 40th anniversary. But why would Woody Allen, a man who regards interviews as an uncomfortable chore and who famously hates reviewing his own work, agree to something like this?

Also, he must know that the "nonce" allegations will be brought up. It's baffling.

Thomas

Well, he's already had a failed bash at Amazon. After this bizarre Facebook outing he'll probably sign up to Twitter for a shambolic week and then call it quits.

Quote from: Thomas on May 16, 2017, 11:35:42 PM
Well, he's already had a failed bash at Amazon. After this bizarre Facebook outing he'll probably sign up to Twitter for a shambolic week and then call it quits.

Woody's first tweet: "I don't like this."

Woody's second and final tweet, posted three minutes later: "I knew this was a mistake. Goodbye, folks."

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Thomas on May 16, 2017, 11:35:42 PM

He'd be blocked by Linehan within 24 hours.

Keebleman

Well, I've submitted my question.  It's Did you shag your There's a huge gap between Love & Death and Annie Hall - thematically, in tone, but also aesthetically.  Would the difference have been as dramatic if the DoP had been someone other than Gordon Willis?

JoeyBananaduck

Indeed could produce an interesting outcome. I don't see how someone can voluntarily place their own head in the stocks and then whinge when they're reminded that they're a reprehensible human being.

mr. logic

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on May 16, 2017, 11:02:29 PM
Probably should have thought twice about being a nonce, to be fair. I don't think huffing on your infant's vagina* and then taking naked photos of your barely past pubescent step-daughter behind your wife's back** leaves much grey area.

*allegedly
**definitely

She wasn't his step-daughter.

mr. logic

Incidentally, am I the only one to prefer Woody's mid-era, more plot driven films to his earlier, funny ones? 

biggytitbo

This is weird so I imagine he is been strong armed to do it.

Nonce news, I was always sceptical about the abuse claims, but then I learnt Allen is a close friend of notorious 'everyone knows he's a paedophile' child sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein, and indeed attended a party he threw when he was released from his scandalously short prison sentence.

hewantstolurkatad

Maybe he has to make compromises like this now to get funding for films?

the science eel

I guess someone will be sitting there with him reading SELECTED questions ALOUD, so any nonce stuff just won't get mentioned.

And yeah, I reckon this will help with funding for the next film, Merrie Melodies, which heralds the acting return of Sandra Bernhard and also stars Amy Adams, Kristen Stewart, James Corden, Peter Capaldi, Helen Hunt, Chris Penn, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Mo Tucker and Eamonn Holmes.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I thought you were being serious with that cast list, until I reached the last name.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Maybe I should have realised at Ronnie O' Sullivan; and Chris Penn is dead :(

the science eel

daf

Five minutes in, and Woody moaning about how he doesn't want to do this - or fully understand what this actually is - is exactly how you'd expect him to respond in this bizarre scenario. Funny, though.

Twit 2

WHY U FUCK DEM KIDDIES WOODY WHY

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 17, 2017, 09:40:16 PM
WHY U FUCK DEM KIDDIES WOODY WHY

Very bold of Weide to open with that.

the science eel

He was long-winded, and only intermittently interesting.

Nice line to end with, tho'. I enjoyed that.

Seeing as this was aimed at Woody Allen fans, I thought Weide would've followed a more niche and potentially revealing line of questioning. Instead he just asked him to repeat everything he's ever said about his own films and the film-making business in general.

However, I suppose that's partially because, as the science eel says, Woody can be quite long-winded. If he hadn't droned on about things he's droned on about countless times before, maybe Weide could've quizzed him in more detail. But that's also Weide's fault for wasting time with such general questions.

The most interesting part was when he talked about the original, violent ending to Take the Money and Run. It's such a relentlessly silly, funny film, I think an ending like that would've had the desired effect - deliberately jarring and darkly amusing.

the science eel

Yeah, I thought that too.

One small thing I liked - being reminded of the last lines in both Annie Hall and Manhattan. There are other films I like more, but (and I think this is what Weide was getting at), the tone of both those final statements is just perfect. Moving, melancholy, human, simultaneously broad and specific.

I also thought it was interesting what he said about Hannah..., and that whole thing about 'earning' a particular kind of ending.

The scene from Hannah in which Woody decides not to kill himself after watching Duck Soup on the big screen is one of the most moving, profound moments in his filmography, but Woody expresses utter distaste for it during that interview.

He really is a terrible judge of what's good and bad about the films of Woody Allen.