Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:45:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Moore filming Trump documentary

Started by Quincey, May 17, 2017, 08:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quincey

To be called Farenheight 11/9, which will confuse a few people: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/16/michael-moore-donald-trump-documentary-fahrenheit-11-9

I'm not Moore's biggest fan to be honest - I found his books simplistic especially the bit on Ireland in TV Nation which I think was well criticised on here a few years ago. I think his best work was TV Nation. I haven't seen Sicko.

Custard

How long til he's in a mysterious "accident"?

Black_Bart

There is a doc from a few years back which picks apart Moore's stuff. I remember that he has a habit of editing two separate interviews to seem like one (Charlton interview springs to mind). And Alex Jones thinks he's a fat cunt. Yeah, glass houses.

Shit Good Nose

Christ, is this going to be the moment we all root for Trump?

hewantstolurkatad

I mostly like Michael Moore, he at least has a knack at managing to counter the kind of bullshit right-wing information sources in a way that can appeal to some of the middle ground. More than a bit fed up by how a large contingent of the people who attack him's approaches at best would just produce some horrid dry documentary like the Corporation that'll never stand a chance of even being touched by anyone other than most vehement left leaning types.

RE: Heston, that's definitely one of his lowpoints, but it was that he ambushed a senile man under false pretences rather than dodgy editing. The dodgy editing is primarily in Roger and Me but occurs throughout his works a lot in smaller ways (e.g. basically all of those shots of him being booted out of somewhere are usually pretty out of context iirc).
From a certain angle I can kind of see the appeal of it in adding a kind of star power to the whole debate, it might rile up the people whose minds are never gonna change on the matters on hand but it might at least introduce some people to another way of looking at the situation.

This one'll probably be shit though. Two years down the line he could do a good one about Trump and the Rust Belt, but this is too soon to have anything of merit.

Funcrusher

imitationleather

Can't stand Michael Moore.

For balance, like.

TheManOne

Moore has been totally ineffective in the fact we've ended up with Trump. He should recognise his films are having the opposite effect than desired and should stop making them.

imitationleather

It's nice to think that one he did about Clinton (which for the bit I endured, seemed to just be him on a stage alternating between ranting about how hard it is for women and then patting himself on the back for being able to recognise that from his position of privilege) is what won Trump the election.

This means he's responsible for Sanders losing too! Moore, you've gone too far this time!

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: TheManOne on May 17, 2017, 06:33:29 PM
Moore has been totally ineffective in the fact we've ended up with Trump. He should recognise his films are having the opposite effect than desired and should stop making them.
I don't buy that at all. I'd agree that Post-Sicko he's been quite visibly without a clear angle and his documentaries have had absolutely no effect on anyone, but that's very different to having the opposite effect.

TheManOne

It was mostly a joke. I do wish he'd stop making films though. He's ghastly at it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: TheManOne on May 17, 2017, 06:46:30 PM
It was mostly a joke. I do wish he'd stop making films though. He's ghastly at it.

He should've stopped after Canadian Bacon.  That is a fine film.

Gulftastic

I liked his book from the 2000's, but Al Franken's were better.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on May 17, 2017, 06:18:48 PM
The dodgy editing is primarily in Roger and Me but occurs throughout his works a lot in smaller way

His editing techniques definitely spark a debate. Like when he opens a bank account and they give him a free rifle. The time between opening the account and getting the gun was a day or two if memory serves but he cut it to look like it was straight away. But the fact remains he got given a free gun for opening a bank account. What kind of sick society is that?

Moore has justified his actions by saying it's worth bending the truth and clever/dishonest editing in order to build a case and fight for what he believes in. I'm inclined to disagree but I sometimes think he has a point.

I reckon his high point was TV Nation and Bowling For Columbine but it does irk me what he did in that film. Some of his actions were pretty bad and a halfway competent filmmaker or lawyer or journalist could pick it apart with ease, which might undermine his ultimate goal in the end.

Overall I'm still pro Moore. He's still reasonably decent in interviews and at least he has passion. Think of what the Democrats or politicians in general could do with a few more people like him. They're soulless, unrelatable, corrupt robots in comparison. At least he gives a shit about normal people. At least he speaks with passion about normal people and means it. Politicians can't even do that anymore.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: TheManOne on May 17, 2017, 06:33:29 PM
Moore has been totally ineffective in the fact we've ended up with Trump.

I think it's high time we accepted that art has no bearing on politics.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: TheManOne on May 17, 2017, 06:46:30 PM
I do wish he'd stop making films though. He's ghastly at it.

Well he has an Oscar. How many Oscars have you got?

Dex Sawash

I like the bit in Roger & Me where that woman was killing rabbits with her hands.

General Motors did go out of business later, hanging me with 300 shares of Motors Liquidation Co.
One point, Moore.

TheManOne

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 17, 2017, 11:00:52 PM

Ha ha ha! Really?

I just don't like the guy or his films. No need to take it personally.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 17, 2017, 11:00:52 PM

Roberto Benigni has an oscar.  And Al Pacino has one for Scent of a Woman.  So your argument is moot.

Bad Ambassador

James Cameron has more Oscars than Terry Gilliam, but if Alec Baldwin has as many as Sean Penn, then why does Jane Campion?

phantom_power

I think maybe that to say he is "ghastly" at film-making is hyperbolic and so was met with a similarly ridiculous argument

checkoutgirl

Quote from: TheManOne on May 18, 2017, 11:36:24 AM
Ha ha ha! Really?

I just don't like the guy or his films. No need to take it personally.

Oh yeah? Yeah? Come on then. Come 'ead mate.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: phantom_power on May 18, 2017, 03:23:08 PM
I think maybe that to say he is "ghastly" at film-making is hyperbolic and so was met with a similarly ridiculous argument

I love when people step in and attribute more intelligence and subtlety to me than warranted.

TheManOne

Quote from: phantom_power on May 18, 2017, 03:23:08 PM

It wasn't an argument. It was a joke about wishing he'd stop making his films because I don't like them.