Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:56:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What is the most 90s thing?

Started by Jobey, May 18, 2017, 08:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

I believe it's having a totally radical tude

Paul Calf

Technology that doesn't work very well made with silver-coloured plastic.

billtheburger

Quincey

A Touch of Frost clip showing a bloke in a blue shellsuit and blue baseball cap looking out the side window of an Audi, his mate beside him and another mate with a baseball cap on in the back seat.

lebowskibukowski

Dr Rock

Sebastian Cobb

Rocko's Modern Life is important allegory for surviving in this world but leaves me sad that the optimism running through it, the optimism that was typical of things produced in the 90's that has well and truly been fucked into a cocked hat since the fall of the twin towers.

Billy

This clip, although it might be from the year 2000 actually.

(ok, it's PJ & Duncan/Ant & Dec singing 'Let's Get Ready To Rhumble' on SM:TV Live with various major 90s pop groups of the Steps/Five ilk surrounding them, fashions aplenty)

im barry bethel

Either the Criminal Justice Act or Melanie & Martina

Sebastian Cobb

I heard a while back that one of the twins now works on a make-up counter and the other is recently bereaved. It's like a metaphor for a post 90's world really.

Dex Sawash

MuteBanana

Getting white dog poo on your Naff jacket after using it as a goal post up the park.

Quote from: Jobey on May 18, 2017, 08:36:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wBifkGjrx4

Any others?

That sort of thing, and the 0898 numbers, began late 80s, rather like rave culture, which I initially thought of.  So not the most 90s things, which would surely be exclusive to the 90s. 

How about New Labour as almost-messianically-acclaimed saviours?

Blue Jam

I have thought about this a lot, and think it may be:

or possibly:

or most probably:

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 18, 2017, 11:51:06 AM
I have thought about this a lot, and think it may be:

So good. Still gets a listen quite often. One of the few records that I bought on the strength of it happening to be played in the record shop while I was browsing.

Danger Man

The sack coat replacing the frock coat.

Blumf

Soft DnB being used for fucking everything on on every end credits music to a sports/gameshow/news/drama program or trailer.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blumf on May 18, 2017, 12:02:59 PM
Soft DnB being used for fucking everything on on every end credits music to a sports/gameshow/news/drama program or trailer.

Ah liquid! All culminated in Dj Marky's LK being played continuously one summer.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 18, 2017, 11:54:09 AM
So good. Still gets a listen quite often. One of the few records that I bought on the strength of it happening to be played in the record shop while I was browsing.

UNKLE's Psyence Fiction is an interesting one- it got more hype than it could possibly have lived up to, and then came the totally unfair backlash when failed to live up to that ridiculous level of hype. It's a good album though, and one which has stood the test of time, but- Mo'Wax, Futura 2000, DJ Shadow, James Lavelle, Richard Ashcroft, Badly Drawn Boy, all the Star Wars (original trilogy) nostalgia? It's pure 90s... but in a good way, which I can't say about the other two examples:

BABY GOT AN ATOM BOMB... Christ, Fluke were naff then and they still sound naff now.

The Propellerheads were fun for a while but it was inevitable that they'd take the wannabe Bond soundtrack thing beyond parody

The Masked Unit

XTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME SPORTS.

Blue Jam