Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:21:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What is the most 90s thing?

Started by Jobey, May 18, 2017, 08:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 22, 2017, 01:08:58 PM
Which lead to the breaks scene, the dullest genre of all time.

Seems to be coming back though, I hear it on the mean basketball courts of the cotswolds constantly these days.

Dr Rock

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 22, 2017, 02:15:55 PM
20p Mix Ups

Fruit Polos

10p/20p Mix Ups go back at least to the early 70s. Fruit Polos definitely around in the 80s, maybe earlier.

Most 90s thing might be Tomb Raider -  the first video game character that you could actually masturbate over. What days.

(Though clearly someone somewhere must've wanked off to Ms Pac-Man, as every single thing in the universe has been wanked over at least once)

Replies From View

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 19, 2017, 07:39:28 PM
The scourge of rock singers and airline pilots 1997-99.  Who'd dare bring one to a concert in this day and age?

Have there ever been rock singers blinded by loads of people aiming those lasers at them at a concert?  There must have been, surely.

Hope so at least.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 23, 2017, 05:14:45 PM
10p/20p Mix Ups go back at least to the early 70s. Fruit Polos definitely around in the 80s, maybe earlier.

Yeah but they were called 10p Mix Ups back in the olden days, that's the point.  Only within the 90s did the same amount of gelatine snack and minty golf ball chewing gum cost 20p.

Dr Rock

If you had enough pocket money a 20p mix-up was freely available in the mid-70s, if not before.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 22, 2017, 02:15:55 PM

Ben Sherman shirts

They could fit in 'the most 60s/70s/ 80s things' thread too tbf.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 23, 2017, 05:48:06 PM
If you had enough pocket money a 20p mix-up was freely available in the mid-70s, if not before.

Oh yeah if you were a millionaire everyone had eighty houses from 1752 to the present day.

IT DIDN'T EXIST UNTIL THE 90S.

monkfromhavana

I think this best represents the creative apogee of 90s music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ALklWpzOBA

Glebe

What's all this 'mix ups' malarkey? You mean bags of penny chews?

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on May 23, 2017, 11:57:13 PM

It was in the old days.  When you couldn't be arsed to choose specific ones, you'd ask them to provide 20 pence's worth at random.  This was when you'd ask the newsagent to scoop sweets from behind the counter; they weren't already in your Haribo casings like you have nowadays Glebe, in 2017.

Prior to the 1990s you could ask for a 15p mix-up, a 10p mix-up, a 5p mix-up or a sixpence mix-up.

20p mix-ups were exclusively a 1990s thing.

Dr Rock

Glebe

Well as a child of the '80s, I certainly remember being able to pick and 'chews' your bags of penny sweets. You could even have a £1 bag.

biggytitbo

There was no specific amount, you could have a mix-up of any value up until Steve's  Newsagents changed hands in 1994 (They kept the name Steve's Newsagents though, even though it was now run by Pakistanis).

Replies From View

Show me physical evidence of a 20p mix-up from the 1970s or 80s.

zomgmouse

Doing it again and apologising

Pdine

Why don't the French have proper word formations for the numbers from 70-99?

zomgmouse

Quote from: Pdine on May 24, 2017, 08:22:38 AM
The Germans have proper word formations for 99, though.
Frequently paired with the proper word formations for Luftballoons.

thenoise

Quote from: Pdine on May 24, 2017, 08:22:38 AM

This is why they are so much better at mental arithmetic than us.

Four twenties a ten and an eight - and they instantly know that it means 98.  Amazing.

Now imagine saying a number like 99,099

Four twenties a ten and a nine thousand, four twenties a ten and a nine.

Danish has an even more weird number system!
http://www.olestig.dk/dansk/numbers.html

QuoteThis strange system combines two archaic ways of counting:

• 20-based instead of 10-based
  • fossilized expressions for two and a half, three and a half and four and a half

Epic Bisto

Cutting edge BBC2 drama featuring Ross Kemp having homo bum sex in a club while mashed on E, and Sadie Frost takes her bra off at some point. Packed full of allegories and statements aimed at the youth. Soundtrack featuring Rosie Gaines and Gala. It was probably called Free From Desire or Closer Than Close

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Glebe on May 23, 2017, 11:57:13 PM

I've never heard of it.  On reading the first post to mention it I assumed it was something to do with getting confused between 10p and 20p coins (which is weird because they're not alike) until I read a few more posts.

Glebe

Penny chews varieties:

Black Jacks.
Fruit Salads.
Cola bottles.
Other ones.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Epic Bisto on May 25, 2017, 10:58:02 AM
Cutting edge BBC2 drama featuring Ross Kemp having homo bum sex in a club while mashed on E, and Sadie Frost takes her bra off at some point. Packed full of allegories and statements aimed at the youth. Soundtrack featuring Rosie Gaines and Gala. It was probably called Free From Desire or Closer Than Close

Then there was Loved Up (1995) UK clubbing drug scene drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoJlak91KBA

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on May 18, 2017, 03:49:13 PM
That's classic era MTV, you silly billy. See also - Daria, 120 Minutes, Music Non Stop, MTV's Most Wanted (with Ray Cokes, pictured above), Headbangers Ball, Yo! MTV Raps, that programme with someone (usually Toby Amies) presenting indie videos in a white room, hours of swirly colourful ambient videos well into the night, plus lashings and lashings of Marijne out of Salad.

And before and after every ad break, a clip of some female (presumably avante-garde) artist going "daggada daggada daggada daggada" for a minute which got extremely tedious after you'd heard it a few times.

momatt

This is incredibly 90s.  Very cool too.
The little girl is a friend of a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAgVGpzD-Q4&feature=youtu.be

biggytitbo

One thing about the 90s that struck me recently was that most men under the age of 30 didn't have massive upper body muscles like they seem to these days. What's that all about eh? Years of media images finally brainwashing men into thinking they must all look the same?

cptspalding

Sebastian Cobb

A CDR copy of alanis's jagged little pill complete with a badly scanned and inkjet printed cover but the printers heads were fucked so it's all bandy.

Danger Man

Joe 90?

No way I'm going back to see if this has been done earlier.