Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:12:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Chris Cornell

Started by MoonDust, May 18, 2017, 08:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoonDust

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/chris-cornell-audioslave-soundgarden-singer-has-died-aged-52/

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/may/18/chris-cornell-former-soundgarden-singer-dies-aged-52

Pretty sad. 52 is no age to die.

As a grunge-loving teenager I used to love Soundgarden, and later Audioslave.

Not really heard his music in a while though since, wasn't too keen on his solo stuff (although his first solo album was alright, I thought).

He only tweeted a few hours ago too.

Swoz_MK

In an era of some really great vocalists he was a cut above. I still have trouble listening to 4th of July as it is just so crushingly sad, to me. Won't be going near it today. RIP

Kane Jones

I too loved Soundgarden back in the day. Badmotorfinger and Superunknown are both great albums. I do hold him (and Eddie Vedder) responsible for the eggy-voiced affectations of today's post-grunge monstrosities, but hey. Not their fault. RIP.

MoonDust

Quote from: Swoz_MK on May 18, 2017, 09:08:42 AM
In an era of some really great vocalists he was a cut above. I still have trouble listening to 4th of July as it is just so crushingly sad, to me. Won't be going near it today. RIP

Yeah I thought he was one of the best rock singers of the last couple of decades. Really underrated I think.

Lee Van Cleef

What a voice. Far too young.

Fuck.

Serge

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 18, 2017, 09:09:40 AM
I too loved Soundgarden back in the day. Badmotorfinger and Superunknown are both great albums. I do hold him (and Eddie Vedder) responsible for the eggy-voiced affectations of today's post-grunge monstrosities, but hey. Not their fault. RIP.

This is pretty much what I think. Fucking hell, though, 52. Wasn't expecting this. RIP.

MoonDust

Really unexpected even for him. He tweeted this 8 hours ago.

https://twitter.com/chriscornell/status/864995525686415360

Must have been sudden as fuck. Heart attack maybe?

Repeater

God damn. Temple of The Dog was unreal. RIP dewd.

checkoutgirl

That is shocking. Superunknown was a genre defining album. Fuck me.

McQ

Fucking hell, I wasn't expecting that. What a shock. I loved Superunknown as a kid and used to enjoy playing along to The Day I Tried to Live, Head Down, and Spoonman (etc) on guitar in my room. Bloody heck.

MoonDust

Quote from: McQ on May 18, 2017, 09:38:36 AM
Fucking hell, I wasn't expecting that. What a shock. I loved Superunknown as a kid and used to enjoy playing along to The Day I Tried to Live, Head Down, and Spoonman (etc) on guitar in my room. Bloody heck.

Mate, I played along to songs on that album too!

MoonDust

Sounded like a nice chap too. From the Guardian:

QuoteIn 2012, he and his wife Vicky created a foundation that works with vulnerable children facing poverty and homelessness.

Mini

Bad Ambassador

Incredibly, he is the first performer of a Bond opening title theme to pass away.

mrpupkin

Saw him last year at the Royal Albert Hall and he was in fine (fucking brilliant actually) voice, seemed pretty affable and happy too. Seeing him do some Soundgarden classics was incredible for the teenager in me. Would never have thought he was dead soon. RIP to this absolute ledge of ridiculous singing and rocking out in the nineties.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 18, 2017, 10:16:35 AM
Incredibly, he is the first performer of a Bond opening title theme to pass away.

I refused to believe this so I just went and looked it up, and it's somehow technically true: Matt Monro seems to be the only vocalist on a Bond theme who is dead, and the From Russia With Love theme is over the end credits, not the title sequence.

Anyway, Superunknown is firmly entrenched on my favourite albums list. I'm going to have it on loop today, methinks. Such a bummer.

Incredibly sad.

Soundgarden were one of my fave teenage bands and informed lots of my subsequent listening. I discovered them via a bag of cassettes my dad liberated from work and it was full of shit, other than the Black Hole Sun single, which gripped me immediately.  Unfortunately this was in 1997, and it took another 15 years for me to see them live. I saw them at Hyde Park, and the heavens opening during Black Hole Sun is one of the most memorable moments from any show I've been to.

Being the age I was, music is imbued with magic and takes on meaning in a way that is harder to find in later years, so Euphoria Morning is in my top ten fave albums. Bizarrely, I'd dug out the Superunknown cd for the car just a few weeks ago and really gone down the SG rabbit hole again.

I've bought a new guitar this last weekend, and took great joy in pulling up a load of SG and ambling through the riff rock while trying to get to grips with the odd timings and tunings. It brings back that sense of wonder I had in my teens when trying to learn something like Spoonman, and it suddenly hits you - this isn't in 4/4. Despite that, they were always musical and never indulgent.

I feel like I need to tune to DCDGCD, set a drum pattern to 7/8, and see what happens. Among all the experimentation, they were always musical, and Chris was a big part of that.

im barry bethel

Mr Brightside

Quote from: mikeyg27 on May 18, 2017, 10:38:10 AM
I refused to believe this so I just went and looked it up, and it's somehow technically true: Matt Monro seems to be the only vocalist on a Bond theme who is dead, and the From Russia With Love theme is over the end credits, not the title sequence.

Louis Armstrong is also dead, but as with Matt Monro's From Russia with Love, We Have All the Time in the World is not used over the title sequence. Linda McCartney did backing vocals on Live and Let Die and is also dead.

gilbertharding

52 may seem quite young to die - but don't forget this was a man who, presumably, had met Courtney Love. He was about 95 in normal-person years.

MoonDust

He was an alcoholic and addicted to drugs but apparently (according to Wikipedia) has been clean and drink-free since 2003. Would be sad if his past addictions caught up to him today.

Just listening to Superunknown. So much nostalgia.

momatt

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 18, 2017, 10:16:35 AM

Byron Lee (Dr. No) died in 2008.  But this works if you only include singers for the opening credits.
I suppose the Louis Armstrong one is on the closing credits too.

Superunknown is a great album anyway.

Icehaven

RIP, what a shame. I got right back into Superunknown last year and still listen to at least a few off it regularly. Have to admit to half-thinking he'd already died when I saw this though.

mrpupkin

^He had already died when you saw this

SteveDave

First Ian Brody and now this fellow. A bad week to be a 90s musician.

Dr Syntax Head

Soundgarden (along with PJ, AIC, Temple etc) got me through some serious depression in my teenage years. This has hit me far harder than I would have expected. I'm shocked at how up set I am today. Fuck this!

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Repeater on May 18, 2017, 09:25:35 AM
God damn. Temple of The Dog was unreal. RIP dewd.

For me one of the most heartbreakingly emotional albums I've heard.

Brundle-Fly

His poor family must be in deep shock right now.  R.I.P.

I was never really into Grunge but Black Hole Sun was majestic. This twenty-year old Steve and Edyie crooner duo version manages to transcend the ironic wink because the tune and sentiment are so strong.

Get a tissue for a bit of eye dabbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55rtXg0ZsLE

MoonDust

Being a long-haired impressionable teenager I longed for the day I could grow a proper beard and get a Chris Cornell goatie.

I did have one a few years later, but not because of Chris Cornell. I looked like a twat. Chris didn't.

Barry Admin

Heard this shit news on 6 Music as soon as I woke up. I loved Soundgarden when I was growing up, and was due to see them at Reading 94, my first ever festival. Sadly Cornell was ill and pulled out, so I think Cypress Hill replaced them.

I keep thinking of Beavis and Butthead watching Spoonman. It's a memory that's just stuck in there.

I played Superunknown a LOT, really enjoyed it. Then a year or later I got a bag of tapes that someone was throwing out and they were into metal, which I never have been. Anyway there was a lot of mixed rock in there too, and the Sir Mix-A-Lot record, oddly. So I'm amongst Metallica and all that, I also found stuff like Bleach and Badmotorfinger and I just cherished them.

Jesus Christ Pose; they commented on that video too, didn't they? What a fucking song.