Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:48:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Chris Cornell

Started by MoonDust, May 18, 2017, 08:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannyhood91

Suicide at fifty fucking two. What a shame.

Such a belting voice. Superunknown is a bloody great album and I used to have it on heavy rotation.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: 3D on May 19, 2017, 11:35:34 AM
As you get older the "fuck it" temptation grows stronger. I don't think you even have to be depressed to decide one day to check out early.

I've read some glib bollocks on CaB before but this takes the cake. 

im barry bethel

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 19, 2017, 11:56:54 AM
I said something similar to my wife this morning; "Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland and now Chris Cornell. I bet Eddie Vedder's shitting himself."

Vedder will last till he's bloody 90 making Leno appearances with a banjo

(Mark Lanegan's still knocking around a vocal booth somewhere)

Beagle 2

I love how GRUNGE all the big GRUNGE blokes' names are, LAAAYNE STAAAALEY, KURRRT COBAAAAINN, EDDDDDIE VEDDDDERRRR, CHRIS CORRRRNELL, then Mark Lanegan sounds like a regional sales rep.

Glebe

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 19, 2017, 01:24:35 PMI've read some glib bollocks on CaB before but this takes the cake.

Indeed. Not just having a go at 3D because he's Milverton or anything, but I've been in a fucking rotten mood since yesterday and I do not want to hear shit like that.

3D

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 19, 2017, 01:24:35 PM
I've read some glib bollocks on CaB before but this takes the cake.

How so? In my road over the last five years four very elderly people living alone have fallen badly, been taken into hospital then into homes. One has since died, two have advanced dementia and the other has his full mental faculties but is unable to bathe or toilet himself. Thinking that you might want to avoid such a fate is perfectly reasonable.

I see it more along the lines of Vasquez and Gorman in Aliens. We know where it all ends, and that we can jump off at any point if we wish. Perhaps Cornell wasn't suffering from mental impairment - his Twitter feed seemed chirpy enough - perhaps he just got bored. I'm serious. He had everything: adulation, money and all the trappings.

Perhaps he'd also had enough.

Glebe

Cheers mate, you're a breathe of fresh air.

3D

Quote from: Glebe on May 19, 2017, 02:26:26 PM
Indeed. Not just having a go at 3D because he's Milverton or anything, but I've been in a fucking rotten mood since yesterday and I do not want to hear shit like that.

Look, I genuinely don't mean to upset you, but as others here have done I'm merely setting out a potential reason. It is not necessarily the case that the guy did this terrible thing while in some way mentally compromised.

The point I am making is does everyone who kills themselves act in such a way due to depression. Answer? No. Who hasn't stood by the yellow line while the train is pulling in and thought... "Hmmm..."

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: 3D on May 19, 2017, 02:31:55 PM
How so? In my road over the last five years four very elderly people living alone have fallen badly, been taken into hospital then into homes. One has since died, two have advanced dementia and the other has his full mental faculties but is unable to bathe or toilet himself. Thinking that you might want to avoid such a fate is perfectly reasonable.

I see it more along the lines of Vasquez and Gorman in Aliens. We know where it all ends, and that we can jump off at any point if we wish. Perhaps Cornell wasn't suffering from mental impairment - his Twitter feed seemed chirpy enough - perhaps he just got bored. I'm serious. He had everything: adulation, money and all the trappings.

But you were talking about it as if it was a solution to a mid-life crisis rather than an elderly person suffering in their final years.

I am lucky enough so far from never to have suffered from mental illness but had a partner who was sectioned once. She had (and now has) a great life and a lot of the time she was the most sunny person you'd ever have the pleasure to meet. She wasn't walking around like some gloomy Goth the whole time.

Like Cobain, Robin Williams, Tony Hancock and countless others, Cornwell obviously had serious mental issues rather than just a rock star who decided he'll  just "check out' because he's a bit cheesed off.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: 3D on May 19, 2017, 02:39:58 PM
ed.

The point I am making is does everyone who kills themselves act in such a way due to depression. Answer? No. Who hasn't stood by the yellow line while the train is pulling in and thought... "Hmmm..."

Yes, we've all had dark thoughts like that. It is called a 'deathwish' and most balanced people who have those thoughts don't act on them.

Mini

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 19, 2017, 11:56:54 AM
I said something similar to my wife this morning; "Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland and now Chris Cornell. I bet Eddie Vedder's shitting himself."

Weiland and Cornell had the common factor of being in a grunge band in the 90s before joining a supergroup in the 00s. So who's next, Dave Grohl?

Glebe

Quote from: 3D on May 19, 2017, 02:39:58 PMLook, I genuinely don't mean to upset you, but as others here have done I'm merely setting out a potential reason. It is not necessarily the case that the guy did this terrible thing while in some way mentally compromised.

I'm not saying you deliberately set out to upset anyone, but as it happens, the way I'm feeling at the moment I could do without such flippancy.

As to the possibility of Cornell being 'bored'... well, certainly, chronic boredom can really suck and obviously can of course lead to depression, but if he was merely bored it'd be a right cuntish move not to take his wife and kids into consideration. Also, his wife has issued a statement suggesting that his death was an accident:

QuoteIn a statement, his wife Vicky Cornell spoke of what a devoted family man the Audioslave singer was. "Chris's death is a loss that escapes words and has created an emptiness in my heart that will never be filled. As everyone who knew him commented, Chris was a devoted father and husband. He was my best friend. His world revolved around his family first and of course, his music, second," Vicky said. "He flew home for Mother's Day to spend time with our family. He flew out mid-day Wednesday, the day of the show, after spending time with the children."

Before his final show, she said, "We discussed plans for a vacation over Memorial Day and other things we wanted to do. When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different. When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him." Police confirmed to E! News Thursday that after Vicky was unable to reach Chris, she called someone in Detroit, who forced open the door and found him.

Of course it's only her personal opinion, but it's worth taking into account.

momatt

I hope it was an accident.  Deliberate suicide is a horrible thing to try and get your head around.
Thankfully I've never had such thoughts myself, so find it near impossible to understand.

With a wife and kids it's even sadder.
Weren't Soundgarden in the middle of a tour too?  Nowhere near being the main issue of course, but an extra kick-in-the-nuts for fans.

Twit 2

Quote from: 3D on May 19, 2017, 02:31:55 PM

You're old aren't you? You should kill yourself! And - weren't you banned for being a cunt?

Glebe

Quote from: 3D on May 19, 2017, 02:31:55 PMThinking that you might want to avoid such a fate is perfectly reasonable.

Yeah, he was probably thinking, "Shit, I'll be 53 soon... better end it all now!"

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I'm not entirely sure why, but this incident has really affected me.

Partly because I'm a big Soundgarden fan, not quite the right age to be into them in their prime, but retrospectively it's all just quality. It all stands up much better to the ravages of time than similar music from that period.

Anyway, its probably just the concurrence of suicide I've been directly and indirectly encountering recently. Just the pure waste of it and the niggling fear that it's there waiting for me if I let it.

Been bingeing on youtube Cornell related bits and discovered this little gem.
https://youtu.be/4Gv_0FNGifM?t=14m6s
Mad Season, with orchestra, with Chris Cornell on vocals doing 'River of Deceit'. Pretty OTT, but it illustrated his awesome talents.

Yeah, there's something more poignant about this rock star death. I suppose it's more that Cornell's lyrics frequently hinted at dark suicidal thoughts and temptations, and the sense was that through putting those thoughts out on record, he'd chosen to live. 'Superunknown' and 'The Downward Spiral' were two albums that got me through a very rough period in my life.

hermitical

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on May 19, 2017, 07:01:35 PM
Been bingeing on youtube Cornell related bits and discovered this little gem.
https://youtu.be/4Gv_0FNGifM?t=14m6s
Mad Season, with orchestra, with Chris Cornell on vocals doing 'River of Deceit'. Pretty OTT, but it illustrated his awesome talents.

Damn, River of Deceit makes me tear up anyway, I go through periods of sticking it on repeat. Heard that version on Seattle's KEXP all day tribute yesterday - beautiful. It's Six Degrees of Chris Cornell all day today.

Norton Canes

I liked 'Jeremy'.

Of course he effectively died the day Suede released The Drowners.

Repeater

was it a chokey-wank then aye?

momatt

Quote from: Repeater on May 22, 2017, 02:48:49 PM
was it a chokey-wank then aye?

I think that would be very slightly better than intentionally killing himself, but still a stupidly shit way to go.

Is there an asphyxi-wank hall of fame?  There should be.

wosl

From the POV of the deceased, 'successfully' intentionally ending your life surely has to rank above accidentally having it end, no matter how hard it is for those left standing to process and absorb.  Of the unintentional ways of dying, auto-erotic asphyxiation has to be one of the least dignified.  RIP, Chris.  About the best of the 90s/Seattle scene bellowers; a much richer and more controlled vocalist than Arm, Cobain, Staley, Tad or Vedder.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

How good could an asphyxiwank possibly be that it would be remotely worth the risk - not only of death, but also the sheer ignominy?

the science eel

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 22, 2017, 01:18:05 PM
I liked 'Jeremy'.

Of course he effectively died the day Suede released The Drowners.

What is the point of this post?

Mr Brightside

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 22, 2017, 05:18:54 PM
How good could an asphyxiwank possibly be that it would be remotely worth the risk - not only of death, but also the sheer ignominy?

Ignominy wouldn't be a problem for you if you're dead, would it? Coz you're dead.

Hollow

May I say that Chris Cornell was my favourite singer of my life and I'm actually gutted, fucking suicide too, although I doubt it will be long before people start saying he was murdered, it's probably already started somewhere.

Loved your music man, loved it.

Mr Brightside

Quote from: Hollow on May 23, 2017, 12:02:05 AM
May I say that Chris Cornell was my favourite singer of my life and I'm actually gutted, fucking suicide too, although I doubt it will be long before people start saying he was murdered, it's probably already started somewhere.

Nah. I think we've all settled on asphyxiwank.

Hollow

Quote from: Mr Brightside on May 23, 2017, 12:08:08 AM
Nah. I think we've all settled on asphyxiwank.

Was it one of them? Fancy...they all go like that these days...I must try it one day, how much fun can it be though?

I think I might just carry on vanilla...stick with what you know.

Dr Syntax Head

Not an asphyxia wank. Meds. Fucking meds!

I'm still reeling from his going. Listening to grunge a lot so that's good.

Kane Jones

I'm going to be doing a short Cornell tribute on my radio show tonight; Rusty Cage, Superunknown and Shadow On The Sun.