Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:29:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Judge Dredd TV show

Started by Custard, May 18, 2017, 06:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Erm... where's the other thread gone? Lost in the recent board happenings? Did search high and low, but can't find it

Anyway, the good news is Karl Urban is in talks - http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/dredd/49331/judge-dredd-tv-series-karl-urban-has-had-talks

QuoteThe series' producer Brian Jenkins said this to The 2000 AD Thrill-Cast, when asked if Mr Urban is involved in the project...

"We have had many conversations prior to this, about all sorts of things. He's also very busy, a full-time professional actor. So we're going to have some long and complicated conversations I would imagine, and we'll see where we go. It's too early to tell yet, but if we can use him and he's available to us, then I think that would be absolutely brilliant. There's always a possibility he will be busy, or that his schedule for other movies won't allow- Basically, we don't know at this stage."

Come on Karl Urban, come on and play Judge Dredd some more

Skip Bittman

"He's also very busy, a full-time professional actor."

What a strange way for a producer trying to get a series off the ground to talk. Is he not a professional as well?

(google google)

Oh.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm8937687/

mothman

Oh, goody, the next Troy Duffy.

Norton Canes

No, not Karl Urban. The show needs to establish its own identity, Urban was great in the movie but he'd be the wrong choice now.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'd be happy for it to be a continuation of the film, but it'd be a bit weird to bring Urban back otherwise.

phantom_power

I don't know. If Urban is a good Dredd, which I think he is, then why should that be any different in the film than in the series. The film didn't really set up enough continuity to make much difference either way. What could they do for it to NOT be seen as a continuation of the film?

Custard

Urban was really good in the role, so it'd be great if he returned. Olivia Thirlby back as Anderson would be aces too

Buuuut I don't think they're irreplaceable, so it wouldn't be a disaster if both roles were recast

Whatever happens, a weekly Dredd show is actually happening, and that is really exciting. I hope it has a case/villain-of-the-week feel, and has Dredd never taking his helmet off, ever. And no love interest. Just him bringing down wrong 'uns each week, with some of the humour and weirdness of the comic

mothman

There has to be some emotional development for the character. The "Democracy" plotline would be s goos start. But you'd need to work uop to it, a season establishing the world and the characters, with maybe some foreboding of greater threats to come in klater seasons. And there' so much to chose from - Judge Death etc., up to and including Necropolis (and how much would I love to see The Dead Man on film? Hard to see how they could maintain the twist at the end though), East-Meg, the Judda (a good way to introduce some mystery around Dredd's origins, and yes, it could also tie in nicely to Necropolis, again).

Glebe

Karl Urban Says He's Open to Returning for 'Judge Dredd: Mega City One' TV Series.

Quote"I am in discussions with them about that. I told them that if they write the material and give Dredd something to do and give him a function, I will be there. I would love to."

The Roofdog

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 18, 2017, 11:29:26 PM
Urban was really good in the role, so it'd be great if he returned. Olivia Thirlby back as Anderson would be aces too

Buuuut I don't think they're irreplaceable, so it wouldn't be a disaster if both roles were recast

At the time the film came out it seemed like Thirlby was on the verge of a massive breakthrough but she's done naff all since. I hope they can get her back for this.

Phil_A

Hmm. It seems some of the concept art suggests they could potentially bring in characters from Rob Williams Dreddworld spinoff Low-Life, which would be great. Dirty Frank deserves his turn in the spotlight!

Alberon