Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:39:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Can You Play An Instrument?

Started by Mr Brightside, May 18, 2017, 10:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Brightside

Any musical talent on here? I myself play the keyboard. Badly.

Johnny Yesno

Pijlstaart

I wanted to learn to play the cornet as a nipper, but they wouldn't let me, so I had to settle for the trumpet instead. Never made any progress because I didn't practice, no-one taught me to practice, and parents didn't give a shit, so couldn't play the simplest tune. Spared the blood-red eyes and lung problems, save that for my exhaust-pipe-huffing midlife crisis.  Got a snooker ball stuck down the end bit. My brother was always the musical one, he played the leaf in primary school. There was a primary school band where they made little guitars by stretching rubber bands over margarine tubs, clandestine maracas, all that, and broski decided to join the band, despite their protests, with his leaf. It would have made a good rustle noise if he'd scrunched it up, it had potential, but he was a subtle child and wafted it instead, which he insisted made a noise. It was a small leaf as well, from a bush, we had a whacking great sycamore tree in the playground, fantastic leaves, but he chose a little bush leaf.

Mr_Simnock

I am have a lot of fun trying to play a small USB keyboard, completely irrelevant if I sound bad playing it as I find it so enjoyable just to pretend to play the thing its magic.

Mr_Simnock

On listening to playbacks I sound like this trying to play it, but my word it's enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJ6anurfuw

Glebe

pancreas

Piano. If there are notes to read, not without. (I don't know how to do jazz.)

Jittlebags

No one said pink oboe or rusty trombone yet ?

I've dabbled with synths off an on. Can play 'by ear', but not by sheet.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Guitarro, piangles, basso, the whole works. Used to play the trumpet as a nipper, got to grade 5 before fucking it off cause my teachers gave me boring shite to play and building/maintaining an embouchure was a right fucker. Would quite like to learn a bit of sax though, not to like professional standard, but just to blurt out some demented free-squealy stuff every now and then like Bowie used to do on his late 70s stuff

moondogs

I am lucky enough to play the piano for a living, travelling the world and working in the pit band on a cruise ship. It has its moments, for sure, and definitely beats working down the mines or something. I'm sat in a bar in Skagway, Alaska right now enjoying some free Internet before going back to do my two hours' work for the day. It's not all sea-based hijinks but it's pretty fun.

Birdie

Guitar, ukulele, and learning piano. Started early last year -  working towardstaking an exam this year (grade 4 Trinity College).  Technically,I can also play the euphonium if required and I got grade 5 recorder.

I haven't played my uke for a while but I'm planning on rejoining a local uke club this weekend.

touchingcloth

Can I play?

Well, I am the music man
I come from down your way
And I can play
What can I play?
I play piano

Pia-pia-pia-no
Pia-no pia-no
Pia-pia-pia-no
Pia-pia-no.

Dex Sawash

Howj Begg

Mr Brightside

Quote from: Howj Begg on May 18, 2017, 11:41:37 PM
No, you phone 'im.

+1 karma.

Can anyone play either the double bass or violin?

pancreas

^ Don't tell him if you do. He'll entice you into something obscene.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Mr Brightside on May 18, 2017, 11:45:01 PM

Can I? No. Can anyone? Yes.

thenoise

Mr Brightside

The midnight hour seems to be the time that the Chuckle brothers of CaB, touchingcloth and pancreas, come out to play.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Mr Brightside on May 19, 2017, 12:03:45 AM
The midnight hour seems to be the time that the Chuckle brothers of CaB, touchingcloth and pancreas, come out to play.

It's the time your mum comes out to play. And by "play" I mean "whore".

pancreas

Well, quite, touchingcloth. Anyway, Mr Brightside, I'd say we were more Cannon & Ball, if anything.

touchingcloth

Endocrine and Gall, more like.

Anyway, midnight is simply when I stop wanking. Do you expect me to post here while I'm wankin'? I bet you do, you dirt.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Jittlebags on May 18, 2017, 10:58:00 PM
No one said pink oboe or rusty trombone yet ?

Before he died I used to play with my dad's massive organ!!!

I thought I had a picture of it but it seems not to be the case, but here's an identical one from the net:

I was never given any proper lessons though so I sadly wasn't any good. It's something I genuinely hold a grudge about, a lot of my friends had music lessons for various instruments and whilst many hated it at the time they're incredibly grateful now.

Jittlebags

Them levers up top. Presumably tones: 4' 8' 16' and all them bollocks. Why does the bottom one have a different set of do doos?

Small Man Big Horse

It's so long ago I can't remember.

thenoise

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 19, 2017, 12:30:38 AM
I was never given any proper lessons though so I sadly wasn't any good. It's something I genuinely hold a grudge about, a lot of my friends had music lessons for various instruments and whilst many hated it at the time they're incredibly grateful now.
It's easier than ever to be self-taught, what with the amount of youtube tutorial videos and free sheet music available on the net.  Although I would recommend having a proper lesson now and then as often as you can afford[1] as well.

[1] I would say that I'm a cello tutor...

I was a pretty good guitarist until I succumbed to occupational injury before I'd made any decent money out of it. A bit of a lifestyle change, a bit of medicinal magic, and I'm starting to dabble in it again.

Dr Syntax Head

Guitar, which I'm fucking ace at. Been playing bass for about 6 months, which I'm getting fucking ace at. Rudimentary drums but I have recently got a job as a live sound engineer/studio tech and there's a drum kit at the rehearsal space. One of the perks of job is free use of rehearsal space so I'm going to teach myself drums, with help of youtube. The very basic of keyboards, I mean very basic.

Music really is my life. I'd like to be like an Anton Newcombe type putting out a couple of albums a year doing everything myself. Who knows. My trouble is I'm a lazy bastard and waste too much time looking at grumble

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on May 19, 2017, 12:51:05 AM
I was a pretty good guitarist until I succumbed to occupational injury before I'd made any decent money out of it. A bit of a lifestyle change, a bit of medicinal magic, and I'm starting to dabble in it again.

That sucks. To be able to make money from playing guitar is my dream. Will you fully recover from the injury?

zomgmouse

Quote from: Mr Brightside on May 18, 2017, 11:45:01 PM

Can anyone? I dunno I think some of it comes down to talent.

Which I have. On the violin.

Yes I play the violin

EDIT: And the piano. I'd like to learn more instruments.