Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:42:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Election 2017: the worst opinions and takes

Started by George Oscar Bluth II, May 19, 2017, 09:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Oscar Bluth II

I'll start:

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/864555753973178368

Take money from the poorest people and countries on earth, give it to people in the UK who own cars.

The bar is set extremely high.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You know how Labour are apparently funding their manifesto on raising corporation tax?

Well, the right seem to think the Foreign Aid budget is an enormous crater containing endlessly replenishing money.

Even the Tories won't get rid of it because that budget is partly tactical, a bargaining chip for trade deals and our reckless military adventures.

3D

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 19, 2017, 05:57:09 PM
Well, the right seem to think the Foreign Aid budget is an enormous crater containing endlessly replenishing money.

We actually borrow money to fund the Foreign Aid budget. I think that's the point some people get a little ticked off about.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 19, 2017, 05:57:09 PM
Even the Tories won't get rid of it because that budget is partly tactical, a bargaining chip for trade deals and our reckless military adventures.

While this encapsulates another part of the problem. The Britain-hating left can't even bring themselves to think it is done out of any sort of charity. Which is it Shoulders? Are we cunts for giving or cunts for not?

It didn't take much searching to discover British foreign aid has allowed 13 million people to have access to TB treatment since 2002, or that it enables 10 million kids across the world get an education. That's a good thing isn't it? Let's do more of it, then, while making sure it isn't diverted to corrupt officials.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Foreign Aid Budget is there for a number of things, the subtleties of which have already escaped you despite the helping hand I offered. I am fully in favour of its existence, while the remark that the money could be better directed is almost always going to be the case.

Petey Pate

Quote from: 3D on May 19, 2017, 06:19:52 PM
We actually borrow money to fund the Foreign Aid budget. I think that's the point some people get a little ticked off about.

What doesn't the UK borrow money to fund?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The reason people hate foreign aid is the duplicitous bullshit Milverton ignored which is "Charity begins at home", a maxim the same people don't actually support anyway when you look at their views on welfare.

It comes down to the same thing "I am a parochial, xenophobic selfish cunt".

Quincey

Why do you think such a view is duplicituios and makes one a "parochial, xenophobic selfish cunt"?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't think holding that view is duplicitous, I think Milverton is being duplicitous.

MojoJojo

On the announcement that the Tory candidate for Cambridge would be Dr John Hayward, a man born with no legs and only one arm.

Comment on the story:
QuoteThis is what Cambridge needs. Someone who can't cycle and understands that there a lot of other actual residents that either don't want to cycle or can't.

Paul Calf

Quote from: 3D on May 19, 2017, 06:19:52 PM

Why not, when foreign aid is profitable and boosts Britain's soft power?

Milverton, standing up for the right to ignorance there.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A Tory with one arm and no legs? A sort of fleshy wrecking ball.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't object to foreign aid, but I object to the fact it's then used to justify incredibly shitty behavior because we've paid it.

It's like going to a deprived african village, building them a well and sanitation then demanding to shoot one of the children with a rifle.

Quote from: TheFalconMalteser on May 19, 2017, 05:24:28 PM
The Tory social care announcement is interesting.  It doesn't cap how much you pay, which means it's unlikely insurance products will emerge.

On the face of it, it's relatively fair. 

Hey cool, the worst take of the election so far is right on this site!

Paul Calf

Quote from: pcsjwgm on May 21, 2017, 05:26:31 AM
lol: http://www.cityam.com/265020/general-election-2017-now-time-stand-up-capitalism-no

Quality display of pearl-clutching there. "Why aren't we getting everything we want? Don't you know how government works? All we did was crash the economy and hold the taxpayer to ransom!"

I do think that whoever wins this election faces terrible vengeance from the sort of people who regularly publish cock-sucking polemic to the avaricious and amoral.