Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:26:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More more more.

Started by Icehaven, May 19, 2017, 12:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Bloke's who's Dad won £100 million has lost a court case he brought to force him to give him more money after he blew £1.5 million (£1 mill in the first month alone apparently. And although half of that was on a house, even so.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-39966145

Leaving aside the obvious ''How the fuck did this even get to court? Oh yeah, because lawyers.'' angle, this seems a classic case of money bringing out the worst in people. They apparently all got along perfectly well before. While it might have initially been possible to feel a teensy bit sorry for the son who was just enjoying his Father's frankly ridiculous windfall (which £1.5 million doesn't seem such a huge chunk of) suddenly being cut off completely (although he had been warned about his spending), the fact he then actually took it all the way to court is pretty unforgivable and ultimately more indicative of his attitude than the initial drunken demand for more money.

Stupid thing is they'll probably make up anyway, and if they don't then what's £100 million when it's left you not speaking to your own son because you've realised what a ruthless, grasping little git he is? (Alright it's still quite a lot, but you see my point.)

MuteBanana

How do you like it?

Maybe the Dad knew the son was an idiot so didn't want to give him too much. Although a million pounds is obviously too much to give an idiot.

It doesn't sound like they have a good relationship if the son feels the need to take him to court.

When I win the lottery tonight I'll just not tell anyone, change my name and move into a Premier Inn.

LanceUppercut

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 19, 2017, 01:48:56 PM
How do you like it?

Maybe the Dad knew the son was an idiot so didn't want to give him too much. Although a million pounds is obviously too much to give an idiot.

It doesn't sound like they have a good relationship if the son feels the need to take him to court.

When I win the lottery tonight I'll just not tell anyone, change my name and move into a Premier Inn.

You'll sort us out though?

MuteBanana

Quote from: LanceUppercut on May 19, 2017, 01:51:06 PM
You'll sort us out though?

Seriously, yeah probably. Just the other day I started thinking of reasons to give people I know online some money if I ever won a large sum.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Definitely wouldn't go public and would seriously consider not telling any of my friends either (though would start being mysteriously more generous). As for family I would think very carefully about what I did. Even a simple bank transfer and 'do what you want with it' could fuck their lives up, which are currently not fucked up.

If I had it now I would spend most of it campaigning for Labour probably.

Shay Chaise

I'm with this miserable bastard above. I don't want to win and I wouldn't tell anyone. I would actually like to win.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 19, 2017, 05:29:48 PM
Even a simple bank transfer and 'do what you want with it' could fuck their lives up

This is true. When it comes to money the blinkers go up and people just can't see a downside. But imagine you gave your mate a million. Would he carry on working? How much would it affect his life? Would he have the wherewithal and cop on to bank the money and use it wisely?

What if you gave it to another mate? Would he have the sense to use it wisely? Or would he go on an unholy coke bender and be found face down in a ditch 6 months later?

Thankfully money is a scarce thing and most if not all of us will never have to make these decisions.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 19, 2017, 05:29:48 PM
Definitely wouldn't go public and would seriously consider not telling any of my friends either (though would start being mysteriously more generous). As for family I would think very carefully about what I did. Even a simple bank transfer and 'do what you want with it' could fuck their lives up, which are currently not fucked up.

If I had it now I would spend most of it campaigning for Labour probably.

I'd piss it up the wall and be dead by 35. Better than longing out this shit until retirement.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 19, 2017, 02:16:47 PM
Seriously, yeah probably. Just the other day I started thinking of reasons to give people I know online some money if I ever won a large sum.

I just want you to know I've always liked you Mutey, and indeed twice saved you life when I was passing by your place and saw a giant bomb outside of it.

I wouldn't go public if I won but I would tell family and friends, and give them various amounts of money. I've got a system, anyone who's ever slept with me would get a million for their act of kindness (bar Dorking Caroline thinking about it, as I later found out that she only fucked me in an attempt to make someone else jealous), and five close friends would get a similar amount. And then the rest would get between £250,000 to £500,000, depending on how nice they are. I don't think I'd have to worry about anyone going on a mad drugs bender too as the majority are in their late thirties or forties but it might cause a few marriages to fall apart, which would be nice.

Bobtoo

I knew somebody whose estranged father won £11m. It was a complicated situation, he'd grown up thinking his father was his uncle and vice versa.

He thought it might be a good time to build some bridges but his other half decided that a hatchet job in the Daily Record would help the situation. https://www.thefreelibrary.com/GRANDSON+JACKPOT+WINNER+HAS+NEVER+EVEN+SEEN%3B+Little+Irvin+is+latest...-a075781681

The photo accompanying the story was a cracker, absolute textbook "poor wronged family in humble abode".

For some reason no lottery money was forthcoming after that.

Brundle-Fly

If you did win millions and started paying off all your pals' mortgages etc, where do you draw the line?

"So, I'm not being funny, but I sort of thought I was more of a mate then he was. Where's my payday? "

It would also change the dynamic of all your friendships.

"It's funny, I never used to agree with you on who was the best Doctor, but since we've come back from Barbados, yes I think you're right, (through gritted teeth) it is Colin Baker!"

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 19, 2017, 09:08:04 PM
If you did win millions and started paying off all your pals' mortgages etc, where do you draw the line?

"So, I'm not being funny, but I sort of thought I was more of a mate then he was. Where's my payday? "

I've thought about that and would make my friends sign contracts before they were given any money, saying that they are not allowed to disclose how much I've given them and if they were to they'd lose all of it.

QuoteIt would also change the dynamic of all your friendships.

"It's funny, I never used to agree with you on who was the best Doctor, but since we've come back from Barbados, yes I think you're right, (through gritted teeth) it is Colin Baker!"

Not even a million pounds could get me saying that. I guess I'd try for ten million but I don't think they'd ever believe me, no one is that good an actor.

TheManOne

In the US it's now a well discussed stat that the more you win, the more likely you are to go bankrupt - 70% of people who "win big" do according to some - lower, but still a highly significant bump, others. I think it's as simple as when you get past 7 or 8 figure sums and the complexities of compound interest means the brain finds it impossible to grasp its actual value in practical terms - unless due to business or birth you've been calibrated somewhat.

Ambient Sheep

One piece of advice I once heard was that if you win the jackpot, apart from not going public, you don't tell your family and friends that you won it either... merely that you won a fairly large amount (say, five numbers, or five plus the bonus), enough to explain the new car etc., but not that it was actually the jackpot.

I can totally see the "hang on, why did they get more than me?" angle happening, otherwise.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

A million quid isn't *that* much. You'd be able to buy a house in a nice part of London, and that would be it. Dad should have given the son 10 million quid, the tight git.

Mr Eggs

£3 quid Rustlers tho. Every fucking day.

Imagine.

Zetetic

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 20, 2017, 08:03:06 AM
You'd be able to buy a house in a nice part of London
Wrong - there aren't actually any nice parts of London.

I think I'd be sorted with about £200,000 insofar as I'd generally never have to worry about money or accommodation again (although I'd still have to work and I couldn't spend without consideration). I wonder what the best lottery is if you only care about a win on that sort of scale and above (rather than, say, millions or billions) and how stupid you'd have to be to think even that was a good idea.

Looking around, I think perhaps: Austria's 6aus45 and still quite stupid unfortunately. (My very rough calculation suggests that after 5 years of playing twice a week, I could expect to end up perhaps about £600 down for 1 in 2,500 chance of winning a decent amount.)

Quote from: Zetetic on May 20, 2017, 08:12:51 AMI wonder what the best lottery is if you only care about a win on that sort of scale and above (rather than, say, millions or billions) and how stupid you'd have to be to think even that was a good idea.

It's been a while since I compared odds, but I found the Swedish lottery to be the best chance of winning what I'd personally consider a "life-changing amount" (a hundred grand or so).

Captain Poodle Basher

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 20, 2017, 02:07:19 AM
One piece of advice I once heard was that if you win the jackpot, apart from not going public, you don't tell your family and friends that you won it either... merely that you won a fairly large amount (say, five numbers, or five plus the bonus), enough to explain the new car etc., but not that it was actually the jackpot.

I can totally see the "hang on, why did they get more than me?" angle happening, otherwise.

Back around the Millennium, when I was doing IT contract work, one of the offices I was in there was a woman who won the lottery. Modest enough amount - 3-4 million. Anyways, the fuckwits working there were in uproar because, "Well, she and her husband are both from well-off families and they already have a nice house and nice cars. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

My comment of "I know, it's like some sort of lottery isn't it?" didn't go down too well.

Me? Never bought a lottery ticket. Mainly because I've no interest in having lots of money and I can't get my head around the idea of picking numbers - Why pick a 6 and not 23 or 24? I can't think of a single number that holds any meaning for me that I'd like it to win me money. I'd be still procrastinating until Doomsday.

Sebastian Cobb

Not have i but surely that's what lucky dips are for.

It's so improbable that you will win it's basically a tax on hopes and dreams.

Jockice

It's a bloody lottery, isn't it?

Icehaven

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 20, 2017, 02:07:19 AM

I'm sure someone on here a little while back said a friend he worked with won a large amount, enough to give up work, but didn't actually tell him how much, however he found out later it was 5 or 6 million, so he must have told someone (unless they worked it out by finding out when he won and looking up what the jackpot was.)  I think that's a good idea, however most parents would still, possibly naively, presume it was safe enough to tell their adult kids without it sending them insane.

[tag] How do you like it, how do you like it [/tag]

Icehaven

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 21, 2017, 05:35:39 PM
[tag] How do you like it, how do you like it [/tag]

So that's two for Andrea True Connection and none for Billy Idol. 

MuteBanana

I've decided what I'd do if I won EuroMillions. A lot of people think the best thing is a luxury cruise, or a round the world trip. I'd visit all the England counties. Spend a week in each one. Start off in Kent and make my round finishing in London. Then I'd probably stay in a sehrviced apartment for a bit while I looked for a house to buy.

Then next year I'd do the same trip all over again. Maybe visiting new towns or revisiting old ones if I met any cool people. I could rent my house out for the 11 months I was away.

This is the order I'd do them in:
Kent
East Sussex
West Sussex
Surrey
Berkshire
Hampshire
Wiltshire
Dorset
Devon
Cornwall
Somerset
Bristol
Gloucestershire
Oxfordshire
Buckinghamshire
Bedfordshire
Cambridgeshire
Northamptonshire
Rutland
Leicestershire
Warwickshire
West Midlands
Worcestershire
Herefordshire
Shropshire
Staffordshire
Derbyshire
Nottinghamshire
South Yorkshire
West Yorkshire
Greater Manchester
Cheshire
Merseyside
Lancashire
Cumbria
Northumberland
Tyne and Wear
County Durham
North Yorkshire
East Riding of Yorkshire
Lincolnshire
Norfolk
Suffolk
Essex
Hertfordshire
London

Knock out the South first, then work my through the middle counties, then up through the North West, down the North East into East Anglia and then round to London. What a life!

imitationleather

If only mook were still here, he'd give you a right dressing down for willingly spending a week in Kent.

MuteBanana

Well its the starting point so I might as well include it.

Captain Z

To make it more interesting you shouldn't be allowed to pass through a county you've already visited, therefore having to finish in Cornwall.

To make it even more interesting, you have to choose one in which to settle and live, but once you've made that choice you must immediately end your journey and stay there. Will you be happy in your choice or keep gambling as the options run out...

Icehaven

Similar to what a lot of retired Americans do, rent an RV and try and visit every State before deciding to live in Florida.