Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:55:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Season 3

Started by Small Man Big Horse, May 19, 2017, 12:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Season 1 thread: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,46881.0.html
Season 2 thread: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,53160.0.html

Thought I'd start this thread as Season 3 is now available on netflix, I've not seen it just yet but that will be remedied by the end of the day.

The Masked Unit

Get in! That's tonight sorted then.

Small Man Big Horse

I've watched the first episode and it was strong stuff, picking up straight off from the second seasons various plot lines. I want to say more but due to the absence of spoiler tags I won't just yet, but it made me laugh a great deal and I love being back in this world.

Gulftastic

Spoiler alert
Titus 'Lemonade' song and video was amazing. As was the full reveal of Corialanus' 'Matilda' costume.
[close]
[/color]

Why don't spoilers work anymore?

selectivememory

Got off to a bit of a slow start for me, although I was loving it again by the end of the first episode. Titus has unsurprisingly been the highlight so far in both of the episodes that I've watched - the Sesame Street audition and the Lemonade parody both were fantastic, but everything about that character and performance is close to perfect, down to every little gesture and every throwaway comment. I hope they find a way to keep Jacqueline funny though, as I feel like she lost quite a bit of what was so funny about her in the first place as she became more self-aware in the second season. She hasn't had much to do yet though. Oh yeah, and Amy Sedaris was excellent in the first episode. More of her would be a good thing.

Lillian I find a bit of a drag really, although she was quite good in the second episode. But on the whole I'd prefer less of her.

steveh

That first episode made me laugh more than any other show so far this year. Impressive gag density.

So glad this is back. Such a fantastic show, and like others have said I laughed more in the first 3 episodes than most other programmes manage in 30. Makes it all seem effortless too.

I'd already seen it teased in promos but the full sequence of Titus Lemonading had me snorting and chortling uncontrollably. Truly joyous stuff.

Titus' casting situation with the Sesame St puppet was disturbingly hilarious.

selectivememory

Loved episode three as well, although if anything I'm even more concerned that they don't know what to do with Jacqueline since she's changed so much. I'm all for character development, but it feels like they've manoeuvred her into a bit of a dead end, and it's not like they can just go backwards and turn her into a clueless socialite again.

As mentioned above, there really is a great density of jokes in this show. Kimmy and Titus were great again, and Laura Dern was excellent in her cameo.

trabuch

I'm only half way through s2, the music is very good. And the program is funny.

Dannyhood91

I bloody love this show. The dialogue just crackles and I think I have a weird crush on Lilian.

selectivememory

I just love Titus. One of the all-time great comedy characters/performances at this point.

New Jack

Titus is amazing. He's really the breakout here. I've watched everything but the last episode, the characters were all great. There's a few guest stars that are quite good. I liked seeing Judah Friedlander again.

I liked, episode six I think it was. Kimmy getting confused at all the Millennial speak that meant fuck all.

I'm also relieved to learn Xanthippe's actress is in her early to mid twenties. She's vegan unfortunately.

hewantstolurkatad

Working my way though some other shows but I'm surprised just how excited I am to get onto this. Really is such a wonderful continuation from 30 Rock

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I finished watching it last night. The ending was rather sudden. I had to check the episode list to make sure there weren't any more episodes. That aside, it was as good as ever.

The Masked Unit

Quote from: selectivememory on May 23, 2017, 10:15:39 PM
I just love Titus. One of the all-time great comedy characters/performances at this point.
Exactly what I said to the wife ladt night. I think this was probably the weakest season but ended up being sad it came to an end.

selectivememory

It was definitely the weakest season, but still pretty good on the whole, and as mentioned, Titus is always magnificent. Generally felt that Kimmy's arc was decent as well - although maybe not as interesting as the previous seasons - but for the most part Jacqueline's story was pretty weak stuff (although I like the idea of her becoming an agent by the next season, as that would suit her well, and she was great whenever she was teamed up with Titus). I find Lillian is okay when she's interacting with Kimmy and Titus, but I don't really like the character enough to be interested in her own story arcs.

I'm glad that Xanthippe is back. Her and Kimmy have a pretty great dynamic. When she told Kimmy that she wanted her to be on her show because she's an inspiration (or words to that effect), she couldn't have delivered the line with any less enthusiasm or sincerity.

Straight Faced Customer

I loved the ep where Jacqueline is concerned how Russ will look after his 'smooshing' metamorphosis process, a concept mad enough on its own, but the comedy is about her trying to get used to the idea of having a deformed creature 'full of holes' around the house. Just utterly bizarre humour; what did she say at one point? To get used to Russ coming home she's had to douse his picture in the smell of shrimp while listening to haunted house music? That line's been in my head all week. Truly off the wall, and hats off to whoever wrote it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: selectivememory on May 28, 2017, 05:53:34 PM
It was definitely the weakest season, but still pretty good on the whole, and as mentioned, Titus is always magnificent. Generally felt that Kimmy's arc was decent as well - although maybe not as interesting as the previous seasons - but for the most part Jacqueline's story was pretty weak stuff (although I like the idea of her becoming an agent by the next season, as that would suit her well, and she was great whenever she was teamed up with Titus). I find Lillian is okay when she's interacting with Kimmy and Titus, but I don't really like the character enough to be interested in her own story arcs.

I'm glad that Xanthippe is back. Her and Kimmy have a pretty great dynamic. When she told Kimmy that she wanted her to be on her show because she's an inspiration (or words to that effect), she couldn't have delivered the line with any less enthusiasm or sincerity.

I pretty much agree with you there, the first four episodes of the season were impressively strong but it was a little patchy after that, bar the Dionne Warwick episode and the season finale. I still like the show a great deal, but I just noticed that whilst I was still smiling a lot and really engaged with the plotting I wasn't laughing out loud as much. I thought it was a shame they only brought back Tina Fey for the one episode as well, I'd been hoping she'd turn up again but in a different role, and I'm disappointed there'll be no more David Cross as well.

McQ

Quote from: New Jack on May 28, 2017, 03:16:29 PM
I'm also relieved to learn Xanthippe's actress is in her early to mid twenties. She's vegan unfortunately.

??!!??!!??!!??!!??

New Jack

The Avclub review of episode 6 was low, they don't feel the Millennial speak bashing and all that Woke stuff has a point. Suppose it can come across as a bit snarky, I guess resolving it as 'these are just kids and kids say dumb things' is a bit limited in terms of understanding why new language is emerging. But it made me laugh!

Quote from: New Jack on June 05, 2017, 08:30:21 AM

The Avclub review of episode 6 was low, they don't feel the Millennial speak bashing and all that Woke stuff has a point. Suppose it can come across as a bit snarky, I guess resolving it as 'these are just kids and kids say dumb things' is a bit limited in terms of understanding why new language is emerging. But it made me laugh!

I took it as Kimmy realising she doesn't need to try and reclaim her lost teen years as she no longer relates to what teens say and do.
Thought it was a good and funny episode.

BritishHobo

Honestly find Jacqueline and Lillian's storylines to be instant death for the show and its pacing. I lose all interest the moment it cuts to one of them and their TEDIOUS Redskins/gentrification plots. Utter death.

Quote from: New Jack on June 05, 2017, 08:30:21 AM

Yeah, that whole review was a sort of "Oh boy, I sure hope this is making fun of the right thing". Does it need a point?  Not finding it funny is one thing, but jeez...I dunno.

Harpo Speaks

Does anyone else feel like sometimes some decent lines get a little lost in Carol Kane's delivery? It seemed more noticeable this season but I can't definitively say that's the case.

Still love this show though, I've started rewatching it from the beginning. So many jokes have that 30 Rock rhythm to them which is no bad thing. And as others have said, Titus is just incredible.

Penfold

Lillian is terrible. Carol Kane talks in slow motion during everything.

My favourite episode was the HEIST one. That was good to me.

They did the "woke" college episode and I agree with the avclub, it seemed RAH young people don't know shit and fuck 'em!!! I was expecting a 'love contract' joke and it appeared like an avalanche. Those young folks don't know the com'dy that made them.

touchingcloth

I thought it was a very strong series. I'm finding it hard to single out specific bits to comment on because there was such a high amount of quality stuff, but Maya Rudolph as Dionne Warwick really stood out for me, plus all the bits about Titus "eating" her.

Mimi's a great character, and I was pleased to learn that the actress playing her is David Sedaris's sister. I enjoyed the bits with Judah Friedlander (and I've had "I love boobs in California" stuck in my head for over a week now), but he looked so different from how I'm used to seeing him that I had to look at the cast list to convince myself it really was him. He's aged about twenty years since 30 Rock.

There was a nice in joke with Daveed Diggs (Perry, the philosophy student) - he originated the role of Lafayette in Hamilton, so it was lovely touch having him choose to rap his thesis. I assume he was cast and that bit was written for him, rather than already being in the script and him being fortuitously cast.

What was Titus's lemonade bit?

George Oscar Bluth II

I didn't think that it was as strong as the first two seasons over all, but the bathroom key episode was brilliantly done, was like a Kramer subplot from late-era "zany" Seinfeld.

Which I mean as an incredibly high complement.

touchingcloth

It's a fantastic show all round. It's LOLRANDOM done properly - the show the Mighty Boosh could have been but, for my tastes, fell far short of. I adore the writing - I know they're an acquired taste, but every time there's a line like "...not to mention these crow's feet" followed by Jacqueline holding up the feet of a crow I end up in stitches.

The cast is fucking formidable. Just about all of my favourites from 30 Rock, a host of SNL alumni, Ellie Kemper, who stood out in the US Office, and David goddamn Cross. I imagine it's one of those shows where the newer and less well known cast members must get a little nervy on their first day surrounded by so many greats.

Does anyone know what the ghosting/goatsing thing was actually supposed to be?

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 08, 2017, 01:54:12 PM
Does anyone know what the ghosting/goatsing thing was actually supposed to be?

With Perry in the gift shop? 'Ghosting' is where you just cut off all communication from someone without explaining why.