Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:20:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Turned on 6 Music there...

Started by Barry Admin, May 19, 2017, 02:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Lovely old Mark Radcliffe was playing Mushroom by Can.

There are definitely things you can moan about with 6 Music, as with anything, but it really does make the world a bettter place. Love 6 Music, love it.

DrGreggles

Yep, it was pretty much designed specifically for me.

Brundle-Fly

I love it too and have it on in the background most afternoons but I wish Radcliiffe & Maconie/ Lamacq would mix it up a bit with some of their favourite artists. Serge Gainsbourg did record other songs than The Ballad Of Bonnie & Clyde.

See Talking Heads, The Undertones, Lou Reed, Buzzcocks, The Specials, The Stranglers, The Ramones, Blondiextc...etc etc too. Just the same old one or two, (at a push, three) singles played out all the time. I'm beginning to think Night Nurse, Ali Baba and Uptown Top Ranking are the only reggae records in the BBC archive.

Great station for discovering new/old things though. However, I will never text in to say ' Got me dancing around the kitchen, grinning like a loon...thanks guys!'

Any fans of French station?

http://www.fipradio.fr

Like a super awesome Radio 6

momatt

I love 6music.  When chilling/working at home I can spend most of the day listening to it and be as happy as a lamb.
I love the way that you can expect to hear pretty much anything, but very rarely anything I dislike.

That twat who's on the breakfast show can fuck off though.  He seems to think being boring, tired, unprofessional and moaning about his 'job' is entertaining.
I disagree.

Huey is a bit of a bell-end too, but at least he doesn't do bad comedy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 19, 2017, 06:21:22 PM
40 Years Old?

6 Music

Yeah, fucking old bastards with their varied tastes in music.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

There's just a watershed quality and pathos to it I find interesting. Moving into the next, less exciting life phase.

neardark

Although I pretty much never listen to the radio now, when I do I prefer to listen to chart stuff because it makes me feel alive.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 19, 2017, 06:42:31 PM
There's just a watershed quality and pathos to it I find interesting. Moving into the next, less exciting life phase.

Why? Because they don't play enough 'grime'?  There is a lot of new music aired on 6 though. Yes, most of the DJs are the wrong side of forty but who cares?

I kind of know what you mean when they play old 70s/80s/ 90s chart music for the occasionally nostalgic among us but Giles Peterson's or Marc Riley's show are hardly tea dancing mornings for old folk in some care home in Bexhill.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: neardark on May 19, 2017, 07:10:06 PM
Although I pretty much never listen to the radio now, when I do I prefer to listen to chart stuff because it makes me feel alive.

Not saying you do but I couldn't force myself to listen to Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran or Adele in an attempt stay young or 'with it', like some sort of Countess Elizabeth Báthory figure.  I've got other contemporary young artists to drain the blood off rather than from the current pap parade.

Barry Admin

I don't think it's a station for old cunts. I think of it as a station for people who really love music and have diverse tastes. Some of who are old cunts. If it was around when I was 18 or 20, I dare say I'd have loved it then too.

Phil_A

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 19, 2017, 07:16:58 PM
Not saying you do but I couldn't force myself to listen to Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran or Adele in an attempt stay young or 'with it', like some sort of Countess Elizabeth Báthory figure.  I've got other contemporary young artists to drain the blood off rather than from the current pap parade.

I've heard enough of contemporary young person's radio to know it doesn't make me feel alive at all, the sheer monotony of programming on the main "yoof" stations (by which I mean 1FM, Kiss and Capital) is soul-destroying. There was a period last year when the big songs were Adele's "Hello" and that Sam Smith bond theme and it just made our office utterly miserable.

It's worth remembering, at least where Radio 1 is concerned is that it used to have much wider demographic appeal. The move to alienate anyone over the age of 25 and homogenise everything to fuck is a more recent development, and it's a sad thing to be honest. Although I suppose this has been beneficial for the "niche" stations like 6music, sweeping up all the twenty/thirtysomething listeners whom R1 no longer wishes to entertain.

And dear God, Scott Mills is a cunt.

Porter Dimi

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 19, 2017, 05:26:58 PM
Any fans of French station?

http://www.fipradio.fr

Like a super awesome Radio 6

Hell yes. I listen to FIP every single day and it never gets old.

Camp Tramp

I generally prefer 6 Music after 7, when they aren't so playlist driven. I find Marc Riley a bit hit or miss as a presenter but I like the music he plays. Gideon is great.

Not a fan of the weekend programming though. Adam and Joe were unmissable when they had a show but since then apart from Giles Petersen, most of the presenters are a bit niche.

I find Cerys Matthews really dull.

Brundle-Fly

Jarvis Cocker's Sunday Service is always sheer joy.

purlieu

I already own way too much music that I don't listen to enough without needing to put the radio on, but my girlfriend usually listens to The Freak Zone on Sunday nights and there's a wonderful array of utterly bizarre stuff on there, new and old.

momatt

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 19, 2017, 06:21:22 PM
40 Years Old?
6 Music

I'm pretty sure I'd have bloody loved 6music as a kid.
I didn't like most chart music then, why would I start enjoying spoon-fed garbage now?

Good music, some great DJs and no adverts.
What could be better?  (other than choosing your own music obvs.)

Quote from: Camp Tramp on May 19, 2017, 08:42:41 PM
I find Cerys Matthews really dull.
I think she's great.  Despite me thinking Catatonia were bollocks.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Camp Tramp on May 19, 2017, 08:42:41 PM
I generally prefer 6 Music after 7, when they aren't so playlist driven. I find Marc Riley a bit hit or miss as a presenter but I like the music he plays. Gideon is great.
Same here. It's the same way I used to listen to Radio 1 when I was a youth (although I was at school back then, so I couldn't listen during the day anyway).

I can't stand the way the continuity announcer says "Gideon Coe", like they're spunking smugness and honey in their pants.

manticore

What's the best station/show to listen to if I want an equivalent to John Peel? I miss him so much.

I like 6 Music but find it rather unadventurous.

djtrees

Don't listen to it, cos im very cool. however was round a mates house the other sunday and cerys matthews was on, who i like for her singing and that. (not catatonia, her first solo album was great) and there was some vacuous posh cunt on who'd invented mexican food or something it was a horrible horrible shit show of a segment. two twee mams chunnering away. fuck that. anyway the sentence "I don't know why people would eat chicken nuggets when you can make X just as easily" x being some hand knitted lentil gubbins, was uttered by this fucking woman. which nearly made me punch the whole of the bbc.

so yeah they might play can for the not really cool, but think they're cool cos they've read mojo twice dads.

but im out

Phil_A

Quote from: manticore on May 19, 2017, 10:52:31 PM
What's the best station/show to listen to if I want an equivalent to John Peel? I miss him so much.

I like 6 Music but find it rather unadventurous.

Resonance FM is probably as adventurous as British radio gets. Sometimes to a fault!

Late Junction on Radio 3 is still really good as well.

Beagle 2

I think it's an aging collection of DJs and an audience that can't let go. It's often so self-conscious about what's what it hopes is the right sort of music that genuine affection for the art form is often totally lost for me. It plays bits and pieces of new music it hopes old people can pretend to be into. And the schedule is absolutely stagnant, the same people saying the same things with the same jingles in the same places for over a decade. Steve Lamacq's Britpop drivetime should just accept what it is, it's fine, you're old and you spin the oldies. Marc Riley - lovely bloke but he just plays stuff he's into and I don't really get why I should give a fuck what he's into, it's not like he's got more of an amazing taste in music than anyone else. But there he is, every weeknight, forever.

The breakfast show is so tired.

I should add that I'm subjected to 6music 24/7 thanks to my wife so I'm ready to kill everybody on it, especially on Sunday where it's just vein-opening stuff all day. I've moved on to Radio 2, yes the DJs are inane, but it's an honest inanity. The music's often garbage but at least I don't feel like I'm being told what is the correct sort of music for clever people by the same cunts as usual. And there's more genuine enthusiasm for the art form in something like the Folk Show than there is on a thousand Freak Zones.

Gideon Coe's nice though.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Porter Dimi on May 19, 2017, 08:08:54 PM
Hell yes. I listen to FIP every single day and it never gets old.

I do too and it was a post by your previous incarnation that turned me on to it.  So, thanks.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 19, 2017, 11:24:00 PM
The breakfast show is so tired.

Gideon Coe's nice though.

Agreed, and agreed.  Never get tired of Coe.  Can't say the same for Shaun - I don't know what direction they should take for breakfast but Jesus this show hasn't changed at all for ten years now.  He's like a northern sarcasm robot.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 19, 2017, 11:39:19 PM
Agreed, and agreed.  Never get tired of Coe.  Can't say the same for Shaun - I don't know what direction they should take for breakfast but Jesus this show hasn't changed at all for ten years now.  He's like a northern sarcasm robot.

Shaun is the one person on the station who seems to drive the show through his personality, rather than music or musical taste. He seems to be a holdover from the bad old days when George Lamb was on the station.
His adverts make me cringe.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Love Radcliffe and Maconie, listen to it virtually every day on catch up. I mostly like Cerys's show but agree with the comment about some of the guests. Some are fascinating and I'm glad of how much time is devoted to the interview, but some are dead boring. Used to listen to Shaun KEaveney in the morning... about 10 years ago. Got tired of him a couple of years later. 

doppelkorn

Every third Saturday we listen to Huey at Foodbank and he sometimes reads out out tweets asking people to bring us custard, because we have some cultural caché.

He has EXACTLY the same taste as me, which is concerning.

Porter Dimi

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 19, 2017, 11:34:57 PM
I do too and it was a post by your previous incarnation that turned me on to it.  So, thanks.

Happy to be of service!

The presenter interruptions on FIP are scarce, but they have the most wonderful voiceovers when they do pop up. Voices like velvet.