Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:43:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Turned on 6 Music there...

Started by Barry Admin, May 19, 2017, 02:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

If I'm at home at the time I usually listen to Radcliffe and Maconie and maybe a bit of Steve Lamacq.  I have it on at other times too but they are the ones I really notice and they play a lot of stuff I like.

Incidentally, while tuning the radio on my new car I found Radio One so decided to give it a go. I have now reached the point where all modern chart music sounds the same. I'm old. Officially.

New page banging donk.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 19, 2017, 11:24:00 PM
I think it's an aging collection of DJs and an audience that can't let go. It's often so self-conscious about what's what it hopes is the right sort of music that genuine affection for the art form is often totally lost for me. It plays bits and pieces of new music it hopes old people can pretend to be into. And the schedule is absolutely stagnant, the same people saying the same things with the same jingles in the same places for over a decade. Steve Lamacq's Britpop drivetime should just accept what it is, it's fine, you're old and you spin the oldies. Marc Riley - lovely bloke but he just plays stuff he's into and I don't really get why I should give a fuck what he's into, it's not like he's got more of an amazing taste in music than anyone else. But there he is, every weeknight, forever.

The breakfast show is so tired.

I should add that I'm subjected to 6music 24/7 thanks to my wife so I'm ready to kill everybody on it, especially on Sunday where it's just vein-opening stuff all day. I've moved on to Radio 2, yes the DJs are inane, but it's an honest inanity. The music's often garbage but at least I don't feel like I'm being told what is the correct sort of music for clever people by the same cunts as usual. And there's more genuine enthusiasm for the art form in something like the Folk Show than there is on a thousand Freak Zones.

Gideon Coe's nice though.

I see what you're saying but I try to skim over the "we like music the best" tenet the station holds so close to its heart. I hate their trailers the most with that occasional maddening distortion they put on the VO to make them sound edgy and vital.   And it does make me cringe when Radcliffe & Maconie will play some dreary acoustic bollocks but wouldn't dream of playing More Than Words by Extreme. Then, they'll play a hip hop or urban track to claw back street cred but only a number they presume Keith the supply teacher from Horsham or Claire the cake designer from Leamington Spa will recognise.

But listening to 6Music 24/7 would make anyone want to kill too though. Any radio station, 24/7, in fact.

It's nice to dip into a few times a week. Long may it reign.

Phil_A

I think it's an aging collection of DJs and an audience that can't let go. It's often so self-conscious about what's what it hopes is the right sort of music that genuine affection for the art form is often totally lost for me. It plays bits and pieces of new music it hopes old people can pretend to be into. And the schedule is absolutely stagnant, the same people saying the same things with the same jingles in the same places for over a decade. Steve Lamacq's Britpop drivetime should just accept what it is, it's fine, you're old and you spin the oldies. Marc Riley - lovely bloke but he just plays stuff he's into and I don't really get why I should give a fuck what he's into, it's not like he's got more of an amazing taste in music than anyone else. But there he is, every weeknight, forever.

The breakfast show is so tired.

I should add that I'm subjected to 6music 24/7 thanks to my wife so I'm ready to kill everybody on it, especially on Sunday where it's just vein-opening stuff all day. I've moved on to Radio 2, yes the DJs are inane, but it's an honest inanity. The music's often garbage but at least I don't feel like I'm being told what is the correct sort of music for clever people by the same cunts as usual. And there's more genuine enthusiasm for the art form in something like the Folk Show than there is on a thousand Freak Zones.

Gideon Coe's nice though.

I never used to like Keaveny, but I don't mind him now. I'd rather have has his sarky dryness than the forced jollity of almost every other morning show. I mean, have you heard Ken Bruce these days?. It's even worse when Fern Cotton fills in, I swear she was asking people to text in about the shape of their toes the other day.

Radcliffe & Maconie have at least a certain degree of self-awareness, Lamacq's the one I find unbearable. The more I listen the more I find the urge to start screaming "GROW UP, MAN! THE NINETIES ARE GONE AND THEY AREN'T COMING BACK!" It's the radio equivalent of a middle-aged bloke in a faded 1991 Carter USM tour t-shirt that's now unflatteringly tight around the belly and who can't accept the passing of his youth.

The trailers are terrible, I agree. All that "Our Alternative Spirit" bollocks, Jesus.

NoSleep

Lamacq used to play a fair bit of UK HipHop until they took that away from him by ghettoizing HipHop to 1Xtra. Was Peel the only DJ ever to be allowed to mix up genres a bit? How can BBC revere him and at the same time prevent there ever being another DJ like him?

John Kennedy on XFM had a similar broad pallette until the station got bought up and the diet became pure Blurasis.

PaulTMA

Is a little known fact that Lamacq has played 'Mans Needs' by The Cribs on every one of his shows since it was released.  The day that Bowie died, he went as far as to play it three times.

Guy Garvey's show is like listening to paint dry.  I caught a bit of Laura Marling standing in for him a couple of weeks ago and I don't know why, but it reminded me in some way of the Lockerbie crash.

Generally I like the station though.  It's improved a lot since everyone realised that Mumfordwave was clearly naff as chips.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 20, 2017, 01:02:59 PMMore Than Words by Extreme

Where's that 'worst song ever' thread?

PaulTMA

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 20, 2017, 04:32:27 PM

We're having another one tomorrow apparently

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 20, 2017, 04:32:27 PM

Ooo, I know. Ear-xcremet. 

But in the past, I've expressed my loathing of this record to a couple of old girlfriends. That opinion worked as an efficient method of contraception on both occasions.

Kane Jones

The lyrics to More Than Words are just drivel. I haven't heard it for a while but I'm pretty sure they actually make no sense. Maybe that's the point of the title. The harmonies are good. Chicks dig that shit.

Quote from: NoSleep on May 20, 2017, 01:53:53 PM
Lamacq used to play a fair bit of UK HipHop until they took that away from him by ghettoizing HipHop to 1Xtra. Was Peel the only DJ ever to be allowed to mix up genres a bit? How can BBC revere him and at the same time prevent there ever being another DJ like him?

John Kennedy on XFM had a similar broad pallette until the station got bought up and the diet became pure Blurasis.

Away from the weekday daytime playlisted showsloads of the 6 music DJs play entirely what they want and a huge mix of genres.

NoSleep

Can you point me to a particular DJ, please?

The thing that amazed me about the early days of XFM (circa '97) was how you would heard hear jazzers like Miles Davis & Sun Ra (sometimes full 20 minute-long tracks), free improvisers like Evan Parker & Derek Bailey (same lengthy pieces), post-rockers like Tortoise or Quickspace, classic soul like Isaac Hayes (John Kennedy played the full 18 minutes of By The Time I Get To Phoenix) and some classic reggae & hiphop (they were especially fans of Kool Keith, I recall; which might have had something to do with the Prodigy) (and I won a CD of the Wild Style OST one night). Pretty amazing mix (considering they'd slip in the station playlist in between this selection; or maybe get it out of the way early on) for a brief time. For a while I gave up playing records at home as the selection on the radio was pretty much perfect with the addition of an element of surprise.

Porter Dimi

Quote from: NoSleep on May 20, 2017, 07:43:12 PM
Can you point me to a particular DJ, please?

jazzers like Miles Davis & Sun Ra

Give Gilles Peterson a go. Two Sun Ra tracks on today's show alone. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01fm4ss/episodes/player

Barry Admin

Yeah. I think I told you about his Sun Ra special a year or two ago NoSleep? I loved him when he was on Radio 1, too. Never cared for Peel but always added Hobbs and Peterson.

Porter Dimi

Also I hate to be a fangirl but FIP does have a nightly jazz show/podcast... http://www.fipradio.fr/emissions/club-jazzafip

NoSleep

Quote from: Porter Dimi on May 20, 2017, 08:34:29 PM
Give Gilles Peterson a go. Two Sun Ra tracks on today's show alone. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01fm4ss/episodes/player

Yeah, I know about Gilles Peterson, but he's a jazz/funk/latin kind of guy. I was looking for DJ's that would juxtapose this kind of thing with unrelated genres. I like the idea of a wide sprawl of music in the same show. How about a bit of C.C. Hennix?

NoSleep

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 20, 2017, 08:37:12 PM
Never cared for Peel

Even he got corralled to an extent. When I returned to the UK in the late 60's he had two shows on Radio One; Top Gear, which was the late 60's equivalent of Top Gear in his later days and another called Night Ride, which was more experimental featuring poetry, music that would be later termed "world music", folk and blues, and bands from the late 60's underground; an excellent mix.

manticore

I think Tom Ravenscroft is supposed to be a Peel-type DJ in more than the literal sense but his taste is substantially more MOR from what I've heard. He seems like a rather MOR person as well.

I used to like at least half of what Peel played - haven't found anyone like that since. I would rather play my own records than sit through a lot of dross for the odd song I like.

Barry Admin

You don't have to sit through loads of dross. I have it on my alarm clock radio and it usually wakes me up with something good if not great. I can't stand Huey from the FLC, but he unfailingly seems to be playing Eric B & Rakim when I wake up to his show on a Saturday. I'm trying to get into the habit of putting it on more when I'm dicking about in the kitchen etc, but I spend as little time in kitchens as possible anyway.

If you drop in and out, you're probably going to hear something really good. That's all radio is now lads, more than ever - just largely a bit of filler for most people. At the same time, I'm overjoyed that I can turn on a radio in the afternoon these days and hear songs from Tago Mago, or the same lads opening their show with Transmission.  I think this is unequivocally a marked improvement from what radio was like when you were all sperm.

Johnny Yesno

And there's more genuine enthusiasm for the art form in something like the Folk Show than there is on a thousand Freak Zones.

Nah. Maconie always comes across as genuinely enthusiastic to me about the music he plays.

NoSleep

Maconie really managed to annoy me on the occasions I've bothered, spouting wikipedia "facts" about artists that I knew for certain to be absolute bollocks, so his "genuine enthusiasm" lacks a required sincerity or depth.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Phil_A on May 20, 2017, 01:17:05 PM
Lamacq's the one I find unbearable. The more I listen the more I find the urge to start screaming "GROW UP, MAN! THE NINETIES ARE GONE AND THEY AREN'T COMING BACK!" It's the radio equivalent of a middle-aged bloke in a faded 1991 Carter USM tour t-shirt that's now unflatteringly tight around the belly and who can't accept the passing of his youth.

I cannot bear Lamacq and his ta-muchly-'scuse-I delivery. His interactions with people phoning in are excruciating 'So, whaddaya, whaddaya do there, what is it you do for a job of work, yourself, there, Keith, what's your job? Graphic Design? Really?'

I don't think the t-shirt is getting tight around the belly though, to be fair to the old boy. He mentioned recently in passing that he's one of those people with absolutely no interest in food, has to be reminded to eat, takes on enough nutrients to stay alive and that's it. Made me hate him even more.

Someone on here said that Radcliffe & Maconie is just two bad tempered old men wittering about the past and she's right but maybe because they're my age, I love their show and they make me laugh out loud. It's whimsical Scarfolk nostalgia with the wood pigeon and the firework and the Chain but I can't imagine a weekday afternoon at home without it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 19, 2017, 05:26:58 PM
Any fans of French station?

http://www.fipradio.fr

Like a super awesome Radio 6

No, but I've recently really been getting into the new internet radio station set up by Giles Peterson - Worldwide fm.
http://worldwidefm.net/

I'm not actually mad keen on the bossa nova sort of stuff Peterson himself plays, but some of the other shows (Colleen 'Cosmo' Murphy in particular) are fantastic. It has a broad range and the Dj's don't spout bollocks, just the odd bit of info about the artists and 'scene'.

Phil_A

Quote from: Janie Jones on May 21, 2017, 09:26:12 AM
I cannot bear Lamacq and his ta-muchly-'scuse-I delivery. His interactions with people phoning in are excruciating 'So, whaddaya, whaddaya do there, what is it you do for a job of work, yourself, there, Keith, what's your job? Graphic Design? Really?'

I don't think the t-shirt is getting tight around the belly though, to be fair to the old boy. He mentioned recently in passing that he's one of those people with absolutely no interest in food, has to be reminded to eat, takes on enough nutrients to stay alive and that's it. Made me hate him even more.

Heh, I mean the faded band t-shirt represents the show as a whole(and isn't he the instigator of the "wear your old band t-shirt to work day" business?), I'm aware Lamacq himself is still the same emaciated husk as ever

purlieu

Quote from: NoSleep on May 21, 2017, 06:14:55 AM
Maconie really managed to annoy me on the occasions I've bothered, spouting wikipedia "facts" about artists that I knew for certain to be absolute bollocks, so his "genuine enthusiasm" lacks a required sincerity or depth.
Maybe he's more interested in the music than the background behind it and thus his knowledge isn't complete?

Sebastian Cobb

Is it me or has Laverne been talking more nonsense of late, I love her tune selection but she seems to be speaking more waffle of late. It was funny when Tom Ravenscroft was in and making no effort to hide his contempt for her features like biorhythms.

Something else I've found is that Nemone is usually better than the person she's filling in for, her tune selection is top notch.

NoSleep

Quote from: purlieu on May 21, 2017, 02:46:19 PM
Maybe he's more interested in the music than the background behind it and thus his knowledge isn't complete?

Then he should talk less bollocks; that would be more sincere. I suspect he is meant to be an expert in field and so plays the part of one.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on May 21, 2017, 02:57:08 PM
Then he should talk less bollocks; that would be more sincere. I suspect he is meant to be an expert in field and so plays the part of one.

He does talk some bollocks sometimes but I'm just happy he's keen to play the stuff he plays. When Mika Vainio died, the featured album was A by Pan Sonic. The angle he took on it was that it's confusing (or something similar, I forget). I utterly disagree: it's beautiful. And it's vine-ee-oh not vane-ee-oh, Stuart. But in a world that mostly doesn't care that Vainio died, I'll take what I can get.

NoSleep

He certainly isn't working on the same level as Mixing It. He's the Brian Cox to Mixing It's David Attenborough.

Johnny Yesno

Mixing It isn't on any more, mate.

NoSleep

There's a whole world out there Johnny. Try some WFMU or some ResonanceFM.