Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:38:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Turned on 6 Music there...

Started by Barry Admin, May 19, 2017, 02:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Left Cerys from Catatonia on today for an hour and loved it. Scroll down to music played, hit "show more" and tell me that's not a great selection of music:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rc2j8

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on May 21, 2017, 03:39:45 PM
There's a whole world out there Johnny. Try some WFMU or some ResonanceFM.

Hey, this isn't biggy you're talking to.

NoSleep

It was the way you were painting Maconie as a last outpost of something.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 21, 2017, 03:41:23 PM
Left Cerys from Catatonia on today for an hour and loved it. Scroll down to music played, hit "show more" and tell me that's not a great selection of music:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rc2j8

That's not a great selection of music ;-p

Seriously, though. Only Howlin' Wolf and Natacha Atlas in there for me.

NoSleep

Can't beat a bit of Fats Waller and Robert Johnson.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on May 21, 2017, 03:46:57 PM
It was the way you were painting Maconie as a last outpost of something.

It was the way you were unfairly criticising him as not being an enthusiast, and comparing his show to one that no longer exists, which is no help whatsoever.

NoSleep

It was a fair comparison, nonetheless. I do think he's a bit of a pretender.

Barry Admin

No love for Jackson C. Frank, Wilko Johnson or Django? Sad!

Edmond Hall also superb, loved Çiğdem Aslan, I think it was them where I went "oh! It's Wicky Pocky by a Hawk and a Hacksaw... oh, it isn't."

It was a great, diverse selection of music, jumping around the genres.

NoSleep

Django of course, yes. Can only judge what I can put a name to; some of those I've not come across.

But it does look like a diverse selection, apart from the Bowie, Dylan & Lou Reed.

Barry Admin

To clarify, you don't like Jackson C Frank, or you've never heard him?

Edit for your edit: yeah that's what I'm kind of wondering mate. Listening to it skipping around genres I figured you'd enjoy it if you heard it.

NoSleep

Barry Admin

Phew, that's what I hoped. You would not be disappointed if you checked him out.

NoSleep

NoSleep

The little bit I've heard now I'd say I was more of a John Fahey kind of person, I'm afraid.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: NoSleep on May 21, 2017, 03:53:39 PM
It was a fair comparison, nonetheless. I do think he's a bit of a pretender.

He is supposed to be an entertaining broadcaster not some dry university lecturer from the London College Of Music.

NoSleep

Is it part of entertainment to spout bollocks? Facts can be entertaining between tracks, too, which would be a bonus. Why would it have to be dry?

CaledonianGonzo

I'm a big fan of Cigdem Aslan. Such a lovely voice.

I met Cerys a few weeks back at the 6Music Festival in Glasgow.  I offered to buy her a pint cos I do really dig the show, but it wound up with her trying to buy me one.

Barry Admin

Quote from: NoSleep on May 21, 2017, 04:08:52 PM
Just the one album, then?

Yeah, although there's the usual demo tracks and such you can pick up. I haven't listened to him in years and missed her playing Blues Run The Game this morning, but I just stuck it on and it kind of knocked the bag out of me.

Edit: ah ok, fair enough.

Sebastian Cobb

Speaking of people who fill in but deserve their own show, Leila Moss of the Duke Spirit was filling in for Cocker a while back and it was fantastic. She should get a regular slot.

CaledonianGonzo

Katie Puckrick's recent power pop shows were also a heap of fun.

Barry Admin

Yes sir, right up my street. I also enjoyed her anecdote about being a perfume blogger, recognising that Richard E Grant was wearing his own scent, and freaking him out by commenting positively on that fact. She's still just a really great presenter who can make any sentence interesting with the characteristic flourish she adds.

purlieu

Quote from: NoSleep on May 21, 2017, 02:57:08 PM
Then he should talk less bollocks; that would be more sincere. I suspect he is meant to be an expert in field and so plays the part of one.
Maybe he doesn't know it's bollocks, though. There's a lot of music I love but know relatively little about the artist behind; if I was playing them on the radio, I'd find out some stuff online beforehand to speak about. Chances are some of this would be bollocks. It wouldn't mean I'm any less passionate about the music itself.

Barry Admin

Turned it on there now when I was making soup just to see, and they're going over Pierre Henry's electronic mass again, yes! Seems like they're actually going to play some of it now, given that Jarvis Cocker introduced it. The clips in the background are amaaazing.

NoSleep

Quote from: purlieu on May 21, 2017, 04:41:13 PM
Maybe he doesn't know it's bollocks, though. There's a lot of music I love but know relatively little about the artist behind; if I was playing them on the radio, I'd find out some stuff online beforehand to speak about. Chances are some of this would be bollocks. It wouldn't mean I'm any less passionate about the music itself.

To be honest I don't believe he holds a great love of much of the stuff he plays. I detect a lack of sincerity.

So you don't think there's a certain side to his job that requires the skills of a journalist... oh sorry, that doesn't really help my argument considering the pisspoor standards of journalism these days.

purlieu

Quote from: NoSleep on May 21, 2017, 04:45:39 PMSo you don't think there's a certain side to his job that requires the skills of a journalist...
I was just talking about how much he likes the music, not his skills as a journalist.
Quote from: NoSleep on May 21, 2017, 06:14:55 AM
so his "genuine enthusiasm" lacks a required sincerity or depth.
I don't know him personally so I can't say either way, I just thought your stating this as a given fact was unfair, so I was positing the idea that maybe he does genuinely like the music he plays.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: NoSleep on May 21, 2017, 04:45:39 PM
To be honest I don't believe he holds a great love of much of the stuff he plays. I detect a lack of sincerity.

So you don't think there's a certain side to his job that requires the skills of a journalist... oh sorry, that doesn't really help my argument considering the pisspoor standards of journalism these days.

I'm not the biggest Maconie fan in the world. I find his 'professional Northerner' schtick a bit taxing sometimes but I believe him to be utterly sincere when it comes to his passion for all kinds of music. He is often quite open when he doesn't like something played during the show. I certainly don't listen to him tutting everytime he gets a minor fact wrong about April Wine or Frabjoy and Runcible Spoon

NoSleep

Quote from: purlieu on May 21, 2017, 04:49:13 PM
I was just talking about how much he likes the music, not his skills as a journalist. I don't know him personally so I can't say either way, I just thought your stating this as a given fact was unfair, so I was positing the idea that maybe he does genuinely like the music he plays.

I'm saying how I feel about his presentation when listening to him speak between records that I personally loved. He sounds a little bemused and ill-informed. For there to be a forgery there has to be an original and the ability to detect the difference, too.

NoSleep

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 21, 2017, 04:52:18 PM
I certainly don't listen to him tutting everytime he gets a minor fact wrong about April Wine or Frabjoy and Runcible Spoon

Well, good for you. I avoid him.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NoSleep on May 21, 2017, 04:45:39 PM

I think there's something to this. He appeared as a talking head on a lot of those I Love the 70's/80's/90's programs so he's probably quite good at talking bollocks with a minimum amount of research.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 21, 2017, 05:31:09 PM
I think there's something to this. He appeared as a talking head on a lot of those I Love the 70's/80's/90's programs so he's probably quite good at talking bollocks with a minimum amount of research.

I used to quite enjoy those I Love The 'Decade' before this list shows dominated the schedules and got more sneery.

I don't give a toss if he doesn't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of all music. When he gets something wrong there is always a bunch of folk tweeting in to correct him anyway.

I agree with you NoSleep about Resonance Fm. Jonny Trunk is an entertaining DJ and extremely informed. Maybe you should pitch a radio show to them? I'd listen.