Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:59:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Coloured vinyl

Started by holyzombiejesus, May 19, 2017, 04:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buntyman

I like it. When it's the same price as a non-limited edition black version or a record that you were planning on buying anyway why not get the coloured one? I've got a handful of coloured ones produced recently and they all sound great, particularly ATLiens  and What's Going On which I can't imagine sounding better

phantom_power

I have never intentionally bought coloured vinyl but it is always nice to get. I have:

Bizarre Ride To The Pharcyde on blue and yellow vinyl
Black Dog - Bytes in bronze
Some Sun Electric album in clear vinyl

Dr Magus

There is a lovely ok computer triple lp on blue vinyl just come out.

SteveDave

I got a 2 LP yellow vinyl version of "Baby I'm Bored" by Evan Dando from his show last night and it sounds quite muffled.

I can confidently predict I'll never listen to the second record of b-sides.

gilbertharding

Memorable highlights from my collection are the

shit coloured Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol 2
knob-end-purple coloured Hole Dicknail 7"
gold Stereolab Transient Random Noisebursts With Announcements
see through Nirvana In Utero
pink Verve Slide Away 7"
and many many more.

I quite like my only 9" single which is a picture disk by E.A.R.

I also have a few records with etched B sides, which was a thing for a while. Just Like Heaven 12" by Dinosaur, and (I think) Supernatural Giver by Kinky Machine both had artwork etched into the B side.

Head Gardener

the holy trio of Cool For Cats

the black promo/mispressed red/classic pink

Wet Blanket

I've got a copy of this Yeah Yeah Yeahs picture disk which I've always enjoyed owning. Always sounded okay to me. It's thicker than an ordinary record.

I'd say the shittiest sounding record I own is a Simply Vinyl reissue of Nevermind on 180g black vinyl from about 2001.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 19, 2017, 04:00:16 PMAlso, sometimes I find that coloured vinyl sounds inferior. Is this my imagination?

Yes I remember some coloured vinyl discs sounding a bit rough.  I remember reading in the 80's/90's that coloured vinyl was made from the worst quality vinyl: all the offcuts and bits swept up off the floor.
Also every coloured vinyl I've ever owned had a strange antistatic property that seemed to repel dust, so swings and roundabouts.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Wet Blanket on May 25, 2017, 04:41:34 PM
I've got a copy of this Yeah Yeah Yeahs picture disk which I've always enjoyed owning. Always sounded okay to me. It's thicker than an ordinary record.

I'd say the shittiest sounding record I own is a Simply Vinyl reissue of Nevermind on 180g black vinyl from about 2001.

Weight/thickness doesn't really make any odds; all about the width ofvtge groove.

QDRPHNC

I got Creep 7" on clear vinyl worth like 14 quid these days