Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:37:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mnemonics You Use

Started by Dr Rock, May 20, 2017, 10:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Not ones everyone knows, like Never Eat Shredded Wheat, but like I could not remember my number plate for ages, and couldn't come up with a memorable mnemonic either. I won't tell you my number plates but I now remember something very similar to  'Green Lantern, 35, Punches Boris Johnson'

I ask now, as I have booked a ticket to see that Guardians In The Galaxy fillum, and I have a code, I know I could just write it down or take a photo, but it's WFH2PCP. The PCP takes care of itself, so I just need a famous person with the initials WF and they Had 2 PCP(s).

And yeah, any that you use, but not for passwords to your bank or here or whatever, obv.

weekender

Thanks for the free ticket.

Will Ferrell had 2 pcps.

I remembered a mates house number for years by the thinking '2 years after the battle of hastings': 1068...the first 2 digits were the local area number so that was sorted. Not mnemonics I know but still very clever.

Sebastian Cobb

Writing things down is easier than remembering so that's what I do.

billtheburger

Mnemonics do my head in.

I find it easier to remember the actual thing I'm learning.
For example, North, East, South, West is easier than Naughty Elephants Squirt Water by at least 4 syllables.
And I've forgot the Many Villagers Eat Moldy Jam Sandwiches Until something, something, because the planets go Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and that's how I remember it.

And your number plate example is easily remembered in three components GL 35 PBJ. Why would you complicate matters?

Dr Rock

Quote from: billtheburger on May 20, 2017, 10:59:46 AM

And your number plate example is easily remembered in three components GL 35 PBJ. Why would you complicate matters?

It was the last three letters mainly, kept getting them mixed up or wrong. JPB, PJB etc.

Glebe

[crap tag]Keanu Reeves leaves thread confused.[/crap tag]

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: billtheburger on May 20, 2017, 10:59:46 AM
Mnemonics do my head in.

I find it easier to remember the actual thing I'm learning.
For example, North, East, South, West is easier than Naughty Elephants Squirt Water by at least 4 syllables.
And I've forgot the Many Villagers Eat Moldy Jam Sandwiches Until something, something, because the planets go Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and that's how I remember it.

I'm atrocious at learning by rote. I need use something to be able to remember it so I've always been good with formulae and coding and stuff, i guess in softer subjects I just play with the ideas a lot.

thenoise

My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming Planets - showing my age with the 9th 'planet'.

Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain - to remember the totally arbitrary chopping up of the visible spectrum in order to satisfy our society's esoteric love of the number 7.

Dr Rock

Quote from: thenoise on May 20, 2017, 11:07:26 AM
My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming Planets

That is MUCH better than the jam volcanoes one.

thenoise

I learned the spelling of 'brouillard' (French for foggy) as follows:

Br - brrrr it's chilly!
ou - ow!  I bumped into a lamp post!
ill - it makes me feel ill!  Cos it's polluted or something.
ard- ooo it makes life terribly 'ard!

It cocked up my pronunciation though.

billtheburger

Mr. McCann invented a character called Roy G. Biv to help us learn the rainbow.

I suppose if I knew more about programming than SUDO APT GET, I may need help with remembering the codes.

billtheburger

I bet you could all recall ten mates phone numbers as kids.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: billtheburger on May 20, 2017, 11:14:00 AM
Mr. McCann invented a character called Roy G. Biv to help us learn the rainbow.

I suppose if I knew more about programming than SUDO APT GET, I may need help with remembering the codes.

You can just use apt now, it's in colour and gives you a progress bar and everything.

pancreas

Merven Erma Jusiurineptapl'.

thenoise

Quote from: billtheburger on May 20, 2017, 11:15:52 AM
I bet you could all recall ten mates phone numbers as kids.

Yeah, but the first 5 digits were all the same.  Or one of two if like me your school straddled two areas.

billtheburger

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 20, 2017, 11:17:45 AM
You can just use apt now, it's in colour and gives you a progress bar and everything.
Today me learn thing

Brundle-Fly

Are there reverse mnemonics though?

Did King Edward IV keep the memory alive of his father's needless defeat at the War Of The Roses by muttering to himself every morning the sequence of colours in a rainbow or visible spectrum (or a Boards Of Canada track, if he had a soothsayer in his court)?

There's a Stephen Wright joke in that convoluted mess somewhere.

hamfist

I use "BDC" and "CFC" so my kids don't understand.

Big Dog's Cock, and Christ's Fat Cock respectively.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: hamfist on May 20, 2017, 11:27:21 AM
I use "BDC" and "CFC" so my kids don't understand.

Big Dog's Cock, and Christ's Fat Cock respectively.

A mate and I use 'TAUC' in emails meaning 'total and utter cunt' to sneak past the word filter, I suppose given you'd never really say or write that very often it has just morphed into a way of saying 'cunt'.

BAFA is another one - bored as fucking arseholes.

Oh, and WIUP - work is utter pish.

I don't think either of us are entirely happy in our work.

3D

I don't use any, but am compelled by some strange force to say "Who?" every time the World Health Organisation are mentioned on the news.

It's one of the reasons I secretly enjoy reports of a new Ebola outbreak.

Dr Rock

Quote from: swordfish_bhoona on May 20, 2017, 10:47:54 AM
Will Ferrell had 2 pcps.

I will use this, but would prefer a different famous person/fictional character/hair metal band with the initials WF please. I don't like Will Ferell much.

Vodka Margarine

The old World Wildlife Fund / World Wrestling Federation confusion amused me for years, until the latter ruined the fun forever by changing to WWE. Bloody wrestling. It's for children, don't you see?!

Depressed Beyond Tables

I use 'the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' to remember all the letters of the English alphabet. Works quite well in uppercase too.

kittens

bull shit seven nine armani jeans
bull shit three one lesbian sex
postcodes
o.k.

touchingcloth

King Philip came over for great sex (kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species).

MuteBanana

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 20, 2017, 12:24:48 PM
I will use this, but would prefer a different famous person/fictional character/hair metal band with the initials WF please. I don't like Will Ferell much.

Wilson Fisk.

That PBJ bit on the numberplate - peanut butter jam

Johnny Yesno

I know I've posted this before, but this is how I remember how many hours are in each day of the week:

Quote24 hours hath Sunday,
And 24 hours hath Monday,
Tuesday and Wednesday hath 24,
Thursday hath the same, no more,
Friday and Saturday hath 24 hours too,
In fact they all have 24 hours the whole week through.

*Stolen from Ben Moor on The 99p Challenge

mjwilson

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on May 20, 2017, 01:53:40 PM
I know I've posted this before, but this is how I remember how many hours are in each day of the week:

*Stolen from Ben Moor on The 99p Challenge

Except for two Sundays a year.

Johnny Yesno

Well that's that joke ruined for me :-(