Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:28:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mnemonics You Use

Started by Dr Rock, May 20, 2017, 10:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FredNurke

Quote from: Cloud on May 20, 2017, 10:24:19 PM
Thought I'd see if anyone spotted what it actually was. Well done for eventually getting it!

Somehow the months rhyme just "worked" for me.  Much like "divorced beheaded died divorced beheaded survived" but that has proven unhelpful in most quizzes so far as they ask for their names... (Henry VIII wives, though I'd imagine most know that one!)
It's wrong, anyway, but I suppose 'annulled annulled died, annulled annulled survived' isn't terribly helpful.

Attila

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 20, 2017, 07:39:03 PM
Is Roy G. Biv an actual person's name that has been used because it matches the colour sequence, or is it just the initial letters of the sequence for some reason split into three and with a full stop added? If the latter, how are you supposed to remember Roy G. Biv in the first plave, never mind what it stands for?

Edit: and the "three letters at the end" were a reference to the "ffs" I think. Fawn, flamingo, shamrock.

Ah!

Yep, just a silly name to remember.

FFS == 'for fuck's sake'. Just general exasperation at Mr Attila not bending to my will.

I learned the staff as Every good boy does fine/every good boy deserves fun.

mrpupkin

Wet Women Always Know Where Peter Jones Pees

sillymisslily

MRS VANDERTRAMP for french verbs that take 'etre' in the past tense
i imagine mrs vandertramp being the sort of person who openly admits voting tory because she's rich

MRS GREN for something or other in biology

mrs d mrs i mrs ffi mrs c mrs u mrs lty

MRS A for nose-based hospital disease

why are all these women married

pcsjwgm

"All Stations To Central" (all, sin, cos, tan) to remember in which quadrant a trig function is positive.

CorresFonding for corresponding angles

AlZernate for alternate angles

iSOSceles for isosceles triangle (two sides are of the same length S, one of length O)

The third letters in seCant, coSecant, coTangent, to remember the reciprocal functions of cos, sin, tan.

Also used the knuckles for the days of the month once during the astronomy section of a physics exam, to calculate the Right Ascension overhead.

Attila

Quote from: sillymisslily on May 21, 2017, 03:25:17 AM
MRS VANDERTRAMP for french verbs that take 'etre' in the past tense
i imagine mrs vandertramp being the sort of person who openly admits voting tory because she's rich

I remember that one! We learned it as DR MRS VANDERTRAMP.

I remember the memory aid, but half only a half-arsed memory of which verbs they are (even though I read French fairly regularly and once or twice a year take my terrible spoken French on the road...)

Bobtoo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 20, 2017, 04:40:52 PM

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly

And it's racist counterpart, i suppose technically speaking it is less ambiguous.

I always remember it as Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Virgins Go Without.

I have some very odd ways of remembering things. My first mobile phone number was 07880 818736. I remembered that as 07880, a Mazda and one more than a BMW. I always remembered land line numbers a similar way. You would think that simply remembering a block of three numbers would be easier than remembering a make of car, remembering which model I was using and often remembering to change one or more digits, but it seemed to work.

Ian Drunken Smurf

From Latin at school sTing and pluNTral - as a way to remind us about singular and plural verb conjugation endings

Ian Drunken Smurf

Code for Shrewsbury (before the 01xxx mullarkey) "oh 7 is made of 4 and 3" = 0743

Captain Z

Two women are loudly having a conversation on a bus: "Emma comes first. Then I come infront of two asses, and I come again with another two asses. I come and pee twice, then I come one last time."

A prudish lady sat infront turns to them and says "do you mind, I don't want to hear about the details of your private life!"

The woman replies "Whats your problem? I'm just telling my friend how to spell Mississippi."

Rolf Lundgren

BODMAS - Brackets, Of, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction.

When we got a new phone number growing up, the first time I heard it I remarked on how it should be easy to remember. My brother sarcastically replied "Why? Because it starts and ends with a 7 and has a 46 and a 88 in the middle of it?" and I never forgot it after that.

MjjW

Oh, oh, oh to touch and feel virgin girls' vaginas and hymens.

Edit: oops wrong thread

Not really lol (legion of lols (lots of loves))

billtheburger

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 20, 2017, 05:31:45 PM
I can remember north, south, east, west without a mnemonic;
Quote from: Mr Brightside on May 20, 2017, 04:56:09 PM
North, South, East, West - I just fucking remember it. Not hard, is it?
I think the point of the Naughty Elephants Squirt Water / Never Eat Shredded Wheat was for the order they came in:
North East South West.

touchingcloth

I remember some mnemonic which was taught to us in physics involving putting the thumb, first and middle fingers out at ninety degrees to each other (like the point where the axes on a three dimensional graph meet) which was used, if I remember correctly, as a guide for how magnetic flux is oriented with respect to the direction of electrical current. The only problem is I can't remember what each of the three fingers is supposed to represent, not whether you're supposed to used the right hand or the left, so I declare this mnemonic to be MNEMORONNIC.

I've just been trying to craft a funny mnemonic to remember the orders of British monarchs from the Tudors 'til now (including queen Jane, because as a Republican this sort of minor dissent against the establishment gives me almost as much wood as compassing or imagining the death of a royal), but the utter paucity of imagination displayed by royals when it comes to thinking up at different names for their sprogs let alone new initials pretty much put paid to that idea.

I mean, look at the state of this:

GGGGWVEGEGE

If you're going to sit on your useless arse all day quaffing swan and counting your crowns, the least you could do is spend five minutes dreaming up a new name for your inbred spawn. Dieu et mon droit? A better strapline for the family would be "expand your mind if not your gene pool".

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 21, 2017, 05:06:24 PM
I remember some mnemonic which was taught to us in physics involving putting the thumb, first and middle fingers out at ninety degrees to each other (like the point where the axes on a three dimensional graph meet) which was used, if I remember correctly, as a guide for how magnetic flux is oriented with respect to the direction of electrical current. The only problem is I can't remember what each of the three fingers is supposed to represent, not whether you're supposed to used the right hand or the left, so I declare this mnemonic to be MNEMORONNIC.

I've just been trying to craft a funny mnemonic to remember the orders of British monarchs from the Tudors 'til now (including queen Jane, because as a Republican this sort of minor dissent against the establishment gives me almost as much wood as compassing or imagining the death of a royal), but the utter paucity of imagination displayed by royals when it comes to thinking up at different names for their sprogs let alone new initials pretty much put paid to that idea.

I mean, look at the state of this:

GGGGWVEGEGE

If you're going to sit on your useless arse all day quaffing swan and counting your crowns, the least you could do is spend five minutes dreaming up a new name for your inbred spawn. Dieu et mon droit? A better strapline for the family would be "expand your mind if not your gene pool".

You're talking about Fleming's laws.

Thumb - motion.
First Finger - field.
Second - current.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 21, 2017, 11:43:49 PM
You're talking about Fleming's laws.

Thumb - motion.
First Finger - field.
Second - current.

Even more useless than I remember then, given that you need a second mnemonic to remember whether it's the third, first or fourth letter of each finger's name you need to pay attention to. Also, the problem stands that you get things wrong depending on which hand you use - the direction of current can't be different for the same direction of motion, can it? That's what the pictures seem to imply.

Sebastian Cobb

The right hand is for motors and the left hand is for generators, they're different, but related rules.

touchingcloth

So a third mnemonic to remember which hand is for which, then. It seems this so-called "Fleming" created more problems than he solved. He should have picked a hand, and made it so that both motors and generators have the same directions.

Ambient Sheep

Oh Christ, THAT thing.

Yes, utterly useless.  Could never remember which finger was which and which hand was which.  We didn't even get a half-decent diagram like that, just a written description and a crap teacher waving his digits around in front of us.

What I do remember is that one hand was for the magnetic field and the other for the electric field (an electromagnetic wave moving through space generates both, at 90 degrees to each other).  Maybe that also means that one is for motors and the other for generators, I don't know.

This sort of thing is why my Physics plummeted from Grade A at O-Level to Grade E at A-Level...

...well that, the change in teacher, and the green"-eyed, fresh-faced, raven-haired" girl in the seat next to me.

checkoutgirl

Nice
People
Seldom
Kick
MG
Car
Fenders

This was some list of elements in science class. I can remember the mnemonic but not the chemicals or what they mean to each other. MG must be magnesium and i imagine C is carbon. A good mnemonic will outlast its meaning. Like a good advert jingle will outlast its product.

græskar

ADEK - the fat-soluble vitamins (it sort of sounds like a male name in Polish)

mks - młoteczek, kowadełko, strzemiączko (malleus, incus, stapes)

Knob Cunt Now - karteolol, celiprolol, nebivolol (betablockers that cause nitric oxide secretion; they don't have the side effect of impotence unlike other betablockers)

SLUDGE - the side effects of cholinergic drugs (Salivation, Lacrimation, Urination, Diarrhoea, Gastrointestinal distress, Emesis)

Some Lovers Try Positions That They Cannot Handle - bones of the hand (scaphoid, lunate, triquetrum, pisiform, trapezium, trapezoid, capitate, hamate)

I generally find that mnemonics work if they are easy short acronyms, even if they don't make sense (like "mks") or if they are very violent/sexual.

MojoJojo

No one mentioned Pilish yet? Handy if you need to know the first 740 digits of Pi* :http://www.cadaeic.net/naraven.htm

*You don't

touchingcloth

BODMAS is one that I still find myself using every now and then, though I was disappointed when I realised it just covers some arbitrary conventions rather than some kind of natural law.

Facebook seems to be full of images which do the rounds which say something like "only for genius: 3 + 3 + 3 / 3 x 3 - 7 x 6 = ??" and the comments are full of different people arguing about the right answer and showing their "working", with no one ever seeming to hit upon the fact that there's no single correct answer.

No, 16

No, -10

No, 2,617

No, 67 - BODMAS, mate.

No, mate, 46 - PEMDAS

Fuck off.

Davy Monroe

Quote from: Mr Banlon on May 20, 2017, 11:21:46 PM
Quote from: hamfist on May 20, 2017, 05:38:41 PM
SOH CAH TOA

still comes to mind to remember which trig function to use to work out triangles.

Sine = opposite / hypotenuse

Cosine = adjacent / hypotenuse

Tan = opposite / adjacent
Some Old Houses Constructed Any How Topple Over Always

Some Old Hags Can't Always Hide Their Old Age.  And to remember the phrase we were told by our battleaxe of a Maths teacher to think of her.  And it worked.