Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:29:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

General Election 2017 thread

Started by Quincey, May 20, 2017, 02:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will you vote for?

Labour
170 (70.2%)
Tories
7 (2.9%)
Lib Dems
12 (5%)
Unheated Kale Instagram Pictures
2 (0.8%)
Ghosts
8 (3.3%)
Far right party e.g. Beige Newark Plagiarism
0 (0%)
Far left party e.g. Swindon Westbury Patacake
0 (0%)
Independent
0 (0%)
Nouvelle Have Anklebite Palindrome
0 (0%)
Wombles' Equus Parade
0 (0%)
Other party
6 (2.5%)
I won't vote
2 (0.8%)
I can't vote
7 (2.9%)
I will deface my ballot paper, possibly by drawing a Clowne on it
4 (1.7%)
I will forget to vote due to inspecting my penis
1 (0.4%)
Scottish Nativity Play
17 (7%)
Leafbaiting Purjury
0 (0%)
Eat ballot
3 (1.2%)
GUFF ME A TUNNOCKS
3 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 242

biggytitbo

Andrew Neil has been detonated in a controlled explosion on the outskirts of Salford.

jobotic

Nuttalls was scheduled tonight. He must have been well up for it.

pigamus

Can't see Neil softpedalling the IRA thing when he does interview Corbyn, especially now the campaign's going to be dominated by the issue of terrorism.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 22, 2017, 09:43:20 PM
That is one area that lost it's way after a lot of industry closed and the rather clostrophobic small valleys don't help either. It is trying to pick itself up it's just taking time. On the plus side it has a great ski centre and the views of manchester and surrounding areas from the top of the moors is great.

I used to live next door to the ski slope. I think grim is overstating it for a description of Rossendale, it's in the middle of fantastic countryside. It's about 15 years since I was last there mind, so it might be as rotten as that now.

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 23, 2017, 12:29:13 PM
Andrew Neil has been detonated in a controlled explosion on the outskirts of Salford.

I think he was just pleased to see her.

Mr_Simnock

QuoteI used to live next door to the ski slope. I think grim is overstating it for a description of Rossendale, it's in the middle of fantastic countryside. It's about 15 years since I was last there mind, so it might be as rotten as that now.

No it's getting back on it's feet and even if it takes another 20 years it's underway.

jobotic

Quote from: pigamus on May 23, 2017, 12:36:43 PM
Can't see Neil softpedalling the IRA thing when he does interview Corbyn, especially now the campaign's going to be dominated by the issue of terrorism.

Again, Corbyn isn't in power. He has no control over anything. Why will he be grilled about this? Did he become PM without me noticing?

Mr_Simnock

It's an easy angle to make neil look like pwoper journo giving a gwilling interview in his head. I don't think he will dwell on it though but it will come out.

TheFalconMalteser

Quote from: jobotic on May 23, 2017, 12:53:36 PM
Again, Corbyn isn't in power. He has no control over anything. Why will he be grilled about this? Did he become PM without me noticing?

Because he spent 20 years encouraging the IRA from his position in Parliament...  It speaks to his judgement, his patriotism, and his honesty given he seems to now be very vocally telling people he played a central role in the peace process.

pigamus

Quote from: jobotic on May 23, 2017, 12:53:36 PM

Well because he wants to be PM and the issue of terrorism will be dominating the agenda. I'm not saying I agree with it.

Paul Calf

Quote from: TheFalconMalteser on May 23, 2017, 12:58:18 PM
Because he spent 20 years encouraging the IRA from his position in Parliament...  It speaks to his judgement, his patriotism, and his honesty given he seems to now be very vocally telling people he played a central role in the peace process.

Who are you campaigning for again? Or is this some of the humiliation that you think Labour deserves?

pigamus

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 23, 2017, 12:55:06 PM
It's an easy angle to make neil look like pwoper journo giving a gwilling interview in his head. I don't think he will dwell on it though but it will come out.

I dunno. As people have been saying in the other thread, the response to this is going to be pretty rabid. If he'd made a big deal about it before, perhaps people might have said, 'Look, that IRA stuff was a long time ago'. But after today I think all bets are off.

I hope I'm wrong.

TheFalconMalteser

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 23, 2017, 01:08:33 PM
Who are you campaigning for again? Or is this some of the humiliation that you think Labour deserves?

Frankly I'm minded to amend the sign outside my house to read "Vote Labour NOT CORBYN #notinmyname"

Pigamus - yes, I agree, they could have addressed these things a while ago, and punctured them. Instead they've tried to claim he was LITERALLY on the right side of history like some sort of Peace Jesus.

Replies From View

Quote from: TheFalconMalteser on May 23, 2017, 01:16:21 PM
Frankly I'm minded to amend the sign outside my house to read "Vote Labour NOT CORBYN #notinmyname"

So in other words, vote for Labour but not their manifesto.

#thickcunt

Please change the sign though, photograph it next to your proud bonce, and I'll forward it on to Labour so that your membership gets cancelled.

Buelligan

Your problem with Corbyn begins and ends with his support for Palestine.  Everything else is a hastily cobbled together tissue of lies to cover your embarrassing and naked hatred. 

You do realise that the cause and fount of your terrible mania, the State of Israel and its secret police, has been behind or linked with some really shocking acts of violence, that could easily be labelled "terrorism", around this poor planet.  So pull your fucking horns in, you are in no position to pontificate about morality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wrath_of_God
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/09/17/the-silent-strike
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1298377/Kidnappings-car-bombs-hit-squads--Live-investigates-Mossad-Israels-secret-service.html
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/tourists-with-a-license-to-kill-a-look-at-the-mossad-s-assassination-squads-a-678805.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/mossads-most-wanted-a-deadly-vengeance-1907327.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMIA_bombing

greenman

Quote from: pigamus on May 23, 2017, 01:09:33 PM
I dunno. As people have been saying in the other thread, the response to this is going to be pretty rabid. If he'd made a big deal about it before, perhaps people might have said, 'Look, that IRA stuff was a long time ago'. But after today I think all bets are off.

I hope I'm wrong.

Pointing out the current situation in NI which he was a decade ahead of the curve on vs the current situation in the middle east where is surely the obvious response.

Quincey

Slightly off topic, but wasn't Operation WoG in response to the murder of 11 Israeli civilians taking part in the Olympics? And didn't it involve killing members of the group who murdered the 11 athletes? I wouldn't call Operation WoG terrorism - in fact the act it was in response too is more like terrorism.

AMIA bombing - I presume you are referring to the claims by a former Israeli ambassador that the Mossad tracked down and killed those it believed were responsible.

Most of the links in your post refer to Israel killing people it believes were responsible for acts of terrorism. I would imagine lots of other countries do the same. Really it depends if the people they kill are guilty or not. I certainly don't see the killing of people who murdered 11 athletes as a bad thing.

SpiderChrist

QuoteFrankly I'm minded to amend the sign outside my house to read "Vote Labour NOT CORBYN #notinmyname"

Which, y'know, is OK. It's what a lot of us thought about Blair. After all, this is not a presidential election, however much you and your silly-arse mates would like it to be (including the Conservatives).

greenman

Quote from: Quincey on May 23, 2017, 01:28:29 PM
Slightly off topic, but wasn't Operation WoG in response to the murder of 11 Israeli civilians taking part in the Olympics? And didn't it involve killing members of the group who murdered the 11 athletes? I wouldn't call Operation WoG terrorism - in fact the act it was in response too is more like terrorism.

AMIA bombing - I presume you are referring to the claims by a former Israeli ambassador that the Mossad tracked down and killed those it believed were responsible.

Most of the links in your post refer to Israel killing people it believes were responsible for acts of terrorism. I would imagine lots of other countries do the same. Really it depends if the people they kill are guilty or not. I certainly don't see the killing of people who murdered 11 athletes as a bad thing.

Probably better off referring to more recent and open Israeli actions in Gaza.

Buelligan

Quote from: Quincey on May 23, 2017, 01:28:29 PM

Do you think it is not a bad thing for the secret police to secretly travel to other sovereign states to kill enemies using whatever methods, including bombs, it chooses?  Enemies who have not been found guilty of anything?  Irregardless of the law of those countries, irregardless of the safety of people in the vicinity?  This is an OK thing and not at all similar to terrorism?

TheFalconMalteser

Inappropriate mention of Israel: 21

MoonDust

What exactly is "not in my name" referring to in the general election campaign, which is what the point of the Labour posters and signs are?

Fairer society - not in my name?

Taxing the rich more - not in my name?

Stronger workers rights - not in my name?

Enlighten me, please.

If it's over the IRA stuff, well, first of all that isn't a manifesto/election issue, secondly and most importantly, all Corbyn was doing was trying to achieve what Blair achieved in 1998; Peace in Northern Ireland. The fact he was doing it a decade earlier than Blair makes him a terrorist sympathiser and Blair not? You're pandering to the right wing bullshit, you're just looking for excuses where there aren't any.

TheFalconMalteser

Quote from: Buelligan on May 23, 2017, 01:36:23 PM
Do you think it is not a bad thing for the secret police to secretly travel to other sovereign states to kill enemies using whatever methods, including bombs, it chooses?  Enemies who have not been found guilty of anything?  Irregardless of the law of those countries, irregardless of the safety of people in the vicinity?  This is an OK thing and not at all similar to terrorism?

We will perhaps be testing this view whenever Andrew Neil interviews him.

I think most people think that, no, it isn't terrorism.  They expect high standards, they see a difference between executing terrorist who kill your civilians and poisoning people who criticise you, they expect proportionality.  But they are not pacifists and they expect clear leadership on this.

jobotic

Oh dear.

Dr Rock

Corbyn has explicitly said he is not a pacifist, but any military action must be the last resort. Pointing at our pointless (not actually pointless, the point was to destabilise the region for mostly US decided ends), counter-productive military actions over the last two decades will be enough for most, except those who were probably never going to vote Labour anyway, and love it when we bomb people (Milverton, etc).

MoonDust

Plus, do you not stop to think that putting "Vote Labour NOT CORBYN" on a political sign is going to make some people think "christ, there's even division amongst voters. Bunch of idiots. Won't be voting Labour".

It's 2 fucking weeks away from one of the most important general elections in a generation. The Labour party needs to get behind the leader and the manifesto now. There's no fucking time for petty statements. No one walking past your house needs to know you support Corbyn or not. What's important is they see you support Labour, with no personal messages surrounding it. Have some fucking perspective.

Dr Rock

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Buelligan

You're backing patriots like Shai Masot and Labour Friends of Israel in their bid to control how Britain is governed then.

TheFalconMalteser

Quote from: MoonDust on May 23, 2017, 01:51:16 PM
Plus, do you not stop to think that putting "Vote Labour NOT CORBYN" on a political sign is going to make some people think "christ, there's even division amongst voters. Bunch of idiots. Won't be voting Labour".

It's 2 fucking weeks away from one of the most important general elections in a generation. The Labour party needs to get behind the leader and the manifesto now. There's no fucking time for petty statements. No one walking past your house needs to know you support Corbyn or not. What's important is they see you support Labour, with no personal messages surrounding it. Have some fucking perspective.

Fucking hell I'm only joking.  I'll actually be canvassing tomorrow night encouraging people to vote Labour.  Last week, I was happily defending the utter morale stain to two voters, one who was wavering over Europe.

NoSleep

Quote from: MoonDust on May 23, 2017, 01:51:16 PM
Have some fucking perspective.

His perspective is that Labour need to be massively humiliated at the forthcoming election. This it what he prays for.