Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:09:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Keepers (new Netflix long form true crime doc)

Started by biggytitbo, May 20, 2017, 07:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Thought I'd start a thread to discuss this. The subject is the 48 year old cold case murder of a nun and after a few episodes it's already clear this is a very different beast to making a murderer. It quickly becomes clear that the real story is not so much the murder here but the even darker stuff surrounding it.

Considering this is the Catholic Church you can probably guess what that is.

Steven

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 20, 2017, 07:14:54 PM
Considering this is the Catholic Church you can probably guess what that is.

Headslapping?

doppelkorn

If ever there was a reason to bring back tags...

imitationleather

Quote from: doppelkorn on May 20, 2017, 07:38:51 PM
If ever there was a reason to bring back tags...

Indeed. Watched two episodes now and I'm still waiting for Neville Southall and Steve Ogrizovic to turn up and crack this case.

Steven

This doesn't really get down to a definitive narrative though, really? Just various speculation, which of course you can jigsaw together various ways as your wont.

imitationleather

Watched three episodes so far. Very grim (perhaps that's part of the problem), but I'm not finding it particularly engaging.

DrunkCountry

Fascinating if grim story undone by a dreadfully dislocated/fractured narrative. Why can't these modern documentaries just tell the fucking story these days? The tangled chaos of so many elements/strands/names etc. was totally bogged down by the editorial decisions imo. I left that thinking I'd have to watch it again to get a clearer idea of who & what were significant where & when, but I'm not sure I can be bothered wading through all the asides & superfluous filler/dead ends.

Steven

Quote from: DrunkCountry on May 22, 2017, 01:45:48 PM
I left that thinking I'd have to watch it again to get a clearer idea of who & what were significant where & when, but I'm not sure I can be bothered wading through all the asides & superfluous filler/dead ends.

I've seen it all and it goes nowhere, just raises up suspicious things about various people and it's up to you to decide what exactly happened.

colacentral

I've seen three episodes and find it meandering, padded out, and outrageously manipulative and one sided. I'm really struggling to muster up the enthusiasm to keep going with it.

I've seen reviews saying this is better than Making a Murderer. Out of their minds.

DrunkCountry

Quote from: Steven on May 22, 2017, 05:16:51 PM
I've seen it all and it goes nowhere, just raises up suspicious things about various people and it's up to you to decide what exactly happened.

Yes, I know. My point was, in order to untangle the narrative quagmire brought about by the edit/narrative decisions I'd have to watch it again but I don't know if I can be arsed because of that very same quagmire.

biggytitbo

I've got an episode left and I agree about how meandering it is, theres clearly the outline of a far better documentary here but too many holes for it to really work.

The most startling bit so far was the suspects claim that the police handed him the victim's vagina during an interrogation, which sounds insane.

Steven

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 23, 2017, 05:54:35 PM
The most startling bit so far was the suspects claim that the police handed him the victim's vagina during an interrogation, which sounds insane.

There was also brilliant cross-examination techniques deployed by the documentary team:

Interviewer: Do you drive with both feet?

Bloke who may be a suspect: I haven't driven in years..

Interviewer: But when you did drive, did you use both feet? Because the person who killed Sister Cathy left muddy footprints on both pedals so drove with both feet.

Bloke who may be a suspect: Yeah, I drove with both feet.

*Camera pans ominously to his befuddled face*

biggytitbo

That man was a tragic figure, but with an astoundingly thick and lustrous head of hair.

MortSahlFan

This is one I kept passing over, but I checked it out, and I was hooked immediately. I never "binge" watch, until last night. I'm a very routine person - never sleeping past 7am, but I probably watched 5 hours last night/morning, woke up at 6am, and saw the remaining two episodes.

Any developments? HIGHLY recommend this.