Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:52:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Going Out = Shit. For. Cunts.

Started by BJB, May 21, 2017, 02:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJB

I can't do it anymore. I'm 24 years old, but I just can NOT be arsed with going out in town any more. I can't be arsed with drinking any more. I can't really be arsed with anything any more.

Why is everyone you meet at 1 in the morning such a cunt? Why do I feel this need to go out and fucking ruin my liver every weekend? What's it achieving? What do you actually LEARN?

Rubbish. Shit. And everyone who does it shit, fuck em all

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: BJB on May 21, 2017, 02:02:13 AM
Why is everyone you meet at 1 in the morning such a cunt? Why do I feel this need to go out and fucking ruin my liver every weekend? What's it achieving? What do you actually LEARN?

Because even routine Netflix, four tins for a fiver and self abuse can get a bit tiresome weekend in, weekend out. It's the same four walls. People get stir crazy. They want to see cunts and they want to see life.

BJB

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on May 21, 2017, 02:17:48 AM
They want to see cunts and they want to see life.

[tag]alternate Smiths lyrics[tag/]

BJB

Wasen;t there a post from Barry Admin a second ago? Or am I going mad (er?)

machotrouts

BBC urges Lee Mack to reconsider title

checkoutgirl

I agree. It's shit for cunts. But if you want to put your shit in cunts i.e. put your penis in vaginas, then it's difficult to avoid. If you have a randy girlfriend who is monogamous and your own sound system at home i can understand ignoring the outside world. 

Currently i don't have that so...

Brundle-Fly

Lemming

I never went out in my teens or early 20s. Peers would jeer and mock me, but I sat at home laughing heartily, with every episode of The X-Files at my fingertips. They whittled their money away on alcohol and have nothing to show for it, while I have a shelf of Sailor Moon figurines and a Gordon Freeman action figure, handsomely displayed. The winner is clear.

Really though, I have genuine trouble just going over to friend's houses and interacting in person for a couple of hours, so the thought of actually going to an club or bar or whatever and having to talk all night has always been a nightmare beyond comprehension. Every time I've ever gone out into the labyrinthine hellscape of Leeds city centre at night, it's always taken me under 15 minutes to remember why I wanted to stay at home in the first place.

Mark from Peep Show captured the feeling perfectly: "God, how did I end up here? And will I ever be allowed to leave?"

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Lemming on May 21, 2017, 03:44:30 AM

Mark from Peep Show captured the feeling perfectly: "God, how did I end up here? And will I ever be allowed to leave?"

But Mark Corrigan from Peep Show is an appalling role model. Have a word...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotethe thought of actually going to an club or bar or whatever and having to talk all night has always been a nightmare beyond comprehension. Every time I've ever gone out into the labyrinthine hellscape of Leeds city centre at night, it's always taken me under 15 minutes to remember why I wanted to stay at home in the first place.

Shall I put you down as a definite for the Leeds meet in June?

JoeyBananaduck

I live in a tiny village and going out is such a hassle I just don't bother most of the time. The nearest town is a £7 bus ride away, assuming you don't want to drive so you can have a drink. If you want to go to the city, you have to get the £7 bus followed by another £6 one. Whole process takes knocking on for 2 hours, easily, just to get there - by which time my energy has petered out and I just want to go home.

There's stuff round here. A few pubs. But I'll be damned if I'm paying £4 for one pint when I can get a sixer for a couple of quid more, stay in, watch a film and cuddle the missus. When I get stir crazy I'll go for a walk.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

batwings

I'd go out but there tends to people there.

Ian Drunken Smurf

I used to go out 4-5 nights a week (to offset working from home) and now being office-based and living in leafy suburbia with a wife and small IDS Junior have really got bored of going out (think also my best drinking mate having no off switch and landing me in the shit even when I bale at 4 am because he carries on to 10am might also help). Wifey and I go out with our friends at least once a week, but go out for lunch with IDS junior) and drink wine or beer at home and sit on the balcony.

However I do have the antidote - a group of similarly long-term Brits who have taken to choosing to explore Vienna's cultural underbelly - we try to visit little side street dive bars (known as Tschocherl in Viennese slang) and also to drink our way through Austria's beers. We are eschewing the craft beer scene generally but have found a few good little places to try.

Glebe

Legend Gary enters thread with Tesco beer.

hard rocx and mettals

I had one of those breakups last year where it causes a mini-schism with your whole group of mates, a la Curb ("we chose Cheryl"). Since I've not had my ex to convince me to drag myself out and see everyone of a Friday night, I've realised just how hard it is to accomplish on my own.

It just shocked me to realise how much I must deep-down clearly despise going out and drinking - fuck, I don't even enjoy alcohol all that much, as for me all it usually entails is needing to wee every 15-20 minutes with a bloated stomach and continuous headache.

As much as I'm excited for the future prospect of moving in with my new, even less socially-inclined partner, I do worry that I'll then be content to stay in with her every Friday or Saturday night with a film and a bifter, and not see any of my friends again until their respective weddings.

thenoise

Wasted huge parts of my 20s 'going out' to places I didn't particularly like, with people I didn't particularly want to be with.

It's not the only, or even the best way to get sex ffs.  Use the internet.  Meet someone who doesn't like nightclubs (there are hundreds of them), go for a picnic in a park or a cafe during the day or something, go to a concert or an art gallery, whatever you are into.  Invite them straight to yours if you are feeling brave.  Pretend to be interested in their 'travelling' stories (yawn) and then get stuck in.

Urinal Cake

Mate. Going out can be things apart from getting shitfaced at the pub with your friends.

MuteBanana

Urinal Cake is right. I think 24 is a great age to realise heavy drinking on a weekend is not the best. Thats at least 6 years of legal binge drinking out your system. Not bad. Now youre still young enough to do crazy fun things like night time quasar and also grown up enough to become part of a local board game group. Both can involve alcohol before, during an after but you're not simply going out to competitively get pissed.

BJB

That opening post is fucking cringey shit, good grief. If I ever do anything like that again, please ensure that I'm banned with immediate effect. Or at least be made to do a breathalyser test before logging on.

Now that I've sobered up calmed down, I'm not really sure what triggered that little mood swing. Nothing happened in particular. Maybe that was the problem. NOTHING happened in particular. Nothing that hasn't happened before anyway.

You lot are right of course, there is more stuff to go out and do then drinking. I just really enjoyed going out to drink. Not to get my end away (I have someone for that), I just liked the escape and the way it allowed me to vent and not be my usual awkward, boring self.

And then last night I went out and didn't enjoy it, and now I don't want to do it ever again. If anyone's read Daft Wee Stories, the story "Dancing", is pretty much what happened last night, bar the ending.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BJB on May 21, 2017, 02:07:38 PM
That opening post is fucking cringey shit, good grief. If I ever do anything like that again, please ensure that I'm banned with immediate effect. Or at least be made to do a breathalyser test before logging on.

Now that I've sobered up calmed down, I'm not really sure what triggered that little mood swing. Nothing happened in particular. Maybe that was the problem. NOTHING happened in particular. Nothing that hasn't happened before anyway.

You lot are right of course, there is more stuff to go out and do then drinking. I just really enjoyed going out to drink. Not to get my end away (I have someone for that), I just liked the escape and the way it allowed me to vent and not be my usual awkward, boring self.

And then last night I went out and didn't enjoy it, and now I don't want to do it ever again. If anyone's read Daft Wee Stories, the story "Dancing", is pretty much what happened last night, bar the ending.

Don't beat yourself up. I was plastered last night after a cider/red wine/TV/ late pizza/row session with the missus.

I did that whole waking up, one eye open, gingerly reaching for my phone before the glass of water to see what slurry I typed on the internet at 3am. I think I got away with it. And so did you. Nobody died.

Glebe

Not cringey at all BJB. Everyone gets in them moods.

Cloud

Think I was about 30 when I stopped the "Saturday night around town" routine, though it was partly because my mates got into a habit of going to the Indian and abusing their bodies that way instead (no offence to our Indian friends! Goes for Chinese, Italian, English.. everything is geared towards stuffing yourself with fat and sugar). I do like it but don't want to go every week as it's just excessive (they actually go a few times a week now, no idea how they stay in shape), nor end up reeking of curry for what's left of the night afterwards.  I'm too shy to try and "pull" and the concept of "pulling" in that sense has never appealed to me, but it sure as heck wouldn't be happening when you're sweating out a Madras.

I'm inclined to say it's part of "getting old" but I don't know, not generally a believer in "growing up" in the traditional sense of giving up fun.  My tastes just kind of changed along with the circumstances.  I was never all that into it to begin with - there's a huge binge drinking culture in our town, more pubs than there are shops and it's only a tiny little town as well, and yet they still fill up.  So I'd be gritting my teeth through trying to get a drink (with people elbowing in from behind, waving a tenner in the air and successfully getting served before me, which really boils my piss), standing with no elbow room and ending up with half a pint down my shirt from people bashing their way past, unable to hold a conversation because the music is too loud or everyone is shouting, and those times when people who can't take a few beers without turning into complete arseholes ruin things.

The only reason I really got into it to begin with was a desire to keep in touch with my best mates after leaving school but turns out we found many other ways of doing that anyway.  For example we often go for that Indian meal on a Thursday (once every 2-3 weeks for me) and then a quiz after, which is all a lot more civilised.

Saturdays I often have a few in my "local" with my dad nowadays.  He'll be around for a good while yet (I hope!) but I do also think it's good to enjoy plenty of time with those who are likely to be in the world for a shorter proportion of your life than others.  I remember everyone deriding "old men pubs" back in the day but have come to enjoy them - room to not only have your elbow out but even sit down, decent real ales (fortunately everywhere has a cask ale of some sort now.  I hated the only options in "young people" pubs in the early 2000s being John Smiths or lager.  But the pubs we used to call "old man" still keep the best ones), ambient music instead of deafening, and should you want to do that whole "conversation" thing (sometimes admittedly I'm in it for the atmosphere and sit in the corner with electronics) those who haven't been raised with mobile phones are naturally better at the art.

Honestly can't remember how I tolerated "going around town" back when it also meant going home stinking of smoke.  Really hope with all the regression the Tories push they don't ask for a repeal of the smoking ban at any point.  Vapers are bad enough when someone insists on making clouds with them.

tl;dr? Don't care, enjoyed the monologue.

saltysnacks

I agree, I only go out drinking once a month and my life is much better. Me and my friends, now that we're in our early twenties, want to do interesting things before we get old. We're going to climb Snowdon this year, the trick is to be open to new experiences.

It sounds cheesy, but it's better than being a depressed grump.

All that being said, my ideal Friday night is 3-4 beers and the Alien saga (including 3 and resurrection).

MuteBanana