Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:05:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Deliver us from evil - Voter Registrations close Monday 22 May

Started by Buelligan, May 21, 2017, 08:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

I saw this headline General election 2017: Two million apply to register to vote this morning.  That's two million new voters and I'd say most of them are signing up to vote against May.

So, I just thought I should mention, if you don't want the tories in power, you really need to vote this time to stop them.  We need to stand up and be counted now.  Looks like something is stirring in the deep and it really might be possible to change things.  Stop the move to control the net in the UK - as mentioned elsewhere on CaB - for example.  But you, we, really need to do something for ourselves.

So, if you're not already registered to vote, do it here.  As I said, registrations close tomorrow, so don't leave it.  Push yourself, push your friends and family.  Share this.  Do it now. 

pancreas

Together with some people from Momentum I was doing voter registration stalls at the universities. We did about 30 on the spot on my laptop and helped/prodded hundreds of others. They're great, the Momentum people. Wind 'em up and watch 'em go. From conversations with the students, I suspect there'll be a problem with postal votes/people not being where they've registered on 8th June. I hope it's not a massive problem. I think they're likely to vote at home, which is just as well, because city centres are usually solid Labour and don't need their votes.

Zetetic

Quote from: Buelligan on May 21, 2017, 08:45:59 AM
That's two million new voters
It might well be far fewer than that - many applications might be from people who are already registered to vote but aren't sure of this. The extent to which the applications are from under-25s is interesting though.

Thomas

I am one such re-applicant, having applied to vote by proxy from overseas.

colacentral

Does anybody have comparative stats on this? Number of total young voters vs 2015, number of registered voters total vs 2015, number of new voter registrations compared to 2015, and so on? It's worth mentioning that polls are down playing answers from those they deem less likely to vote.

Buelligan

Just reminding everyone to remember about doing something to make sure that your future goes how you want it to.  Don't forget!

3D

Quote from: pancreas on May 21, 2017, 12:03:50 PM
They're great, the Momentum people. Wind 'em up and watch 'em go.

I can confirm this.

I was wondering earlier, with news for Labour coming out of the North East, Scotland and a poll tomorrow from Wales that seems to have shocked more than one expert, where is the Labour revival actually going to come from?

If we go back even three or four months the accepted wisdom, even on the left, was that Labour would need to make impressive inroads into Scotland and Tory marginals in the South to stand even a remote chance. I've seen no evidence of either.

It would be fascinating to see Corbyn in power, and indeed a non-Brit as Home Secretary, but even with the last few days larks, like a certain person's knicker elastic, it's a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

3D

Quote from: Buelligan on May 21, 2017, 02:37:11 PM
Just reminding everyone to remember about doing something to make sure that your future goes how you want it to.  Don't forget!

Duly noted!

Dr Rock

Quote from: 3D on May 21, 2017, 09:24:42 PM

It would be fascinating to see Corbyn in power, and indeed a non-Brit as Home Secretary, but even with the last few days larks, like a certain person's knicker elastic, it's a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

Yeah but look at your sorry bunch of turds. That's who you have to support, haha.

Buelligan

Plus, equally bad, possibly worse, he has to go through his entire existence being him.  Imagine that and feel compassion.

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: 3D on May 21, 2017, 09:24:42 PM
It would be fascinating to see Corbyn in power, and indeed a non-Brit as Home Secretary

Eh?

Vodka Margarine

Well, obvs. But that particular branch of racism is new from him. He's gone full on Combo.

Thomas

She was born in London (to Jamaican parents, who'd been living in Britain for more than 35 years before she was born). Solid flavour of racism to that one, 3D.

We do, however, currently have an American-born Foreign Secretary.

Buelligan

Don't forget, you have until this evening to sign up, if you aren't already registered to vote.  Do it as if your life depended on it, because it sort of does.

Here is the link.  Push anyone you know to get it done!!!1!!

Paul Calf

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on May 21, 2017, 11:58:54 PM
Well, obvs. But that particular branch of racism is new from him. He's gone full on Compo.

pancreas

Quote from: facebook
Over 200k voter reg applications yesterday.

pancreas

Dammit. I just registered a Tory on my computer. I can hardly touch it now.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Hadn't received my polling card yet (I moved recently) so I called the local electoral office today. I ended up on hold for almost four hours, cradling my phone in my neck while trying to get on with work the whole time, and eventually had to hang up when I used all my minutes.

Got home this afternoon, my polling card was in the post. Some bastard in my building had shoved it to the bottom of the pile. VOTER SABOTAGE

imitationleather

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on May 22, 2017, 06:39:10 PM
Hadn't received my polling card yet (I moved recently) so I called the local electoral office today. I ended up on hold for almost four hours, cradling my phone in my neck while trying to get on with work the whole time, and eventually had to hang up when I used all my minutes.

Got home this afternoon, my polling card was in the post. Some bastard in my building had shoved it to the bottom of the pile. VOTER SABOTAGE

On hold for four hours? Really? Cor. You should have just registered again and smoked a blunt.

Dr Rock

Let's get this straight, did Milverton accuse Dianne Abbott of being a non-Brit because she is black? Is there any other explanation?

After he got banned for calling a trans person 'it.'

Also, if he was ever funny, that's all stopped now.