Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:22:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

USB keyboards (the plinky-plonky kind)

Started by BeardFaceMan, May 21, 2017, 12:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

I'm after some type of keyboard I can plug into the ol' PC and dick around with, nothing special or fancy as I don't even know how to play keys so it would have to be something I could learn on. I know there's 88 keys on a piano but how many should I be looking at for a starter USB keyboard? Like how many keys do I need in order to play basic stuff?

NoSleep

If you want to learn, then 61 keys would be minimum (and even then you might feel the pinch). There are USB keyboards with less keys, but they are more for programmers needing to punch in bass lines, melodies and chords one at a time into their DAW.

Morrison Lard

Get a budget M-Audio keystation 49, or similar.
Cheap and easily accessible if you're a beginner, you could probably pick one up for <£40 on ebay.
The keys are actually a decent weight on the 49e. No knobs for twiddling though, if that's your thang.

I disagree with NoSleep on the "61key-minimum".
More keys can look daunting when you start out,
and if you're a total novice you're not gonna be firing up and down the octaves like Les Dawson for a long while.

Plug it in and away you go.
There's an absolute ton of decent free VSTs out there too.

NoSleep

What's daunting about 61 keys compared to 49? There's only 12 notes in an octave, but if you have a truncated keyboard it can be tedious finding where the range of a particular sound works best (high, low, middle). Plus you can muck around with two hands if you want to learn how to play a bit (49 is more suited to a one handed approach).

Neomod

When you say you want to learn, do you mean proper piano with both hands an all or just for messing about?

I started on a proper piano but these days use a micro korg to play keyboard tracks. The smaller keyboards are a bit fiddly so I would go for a full size (or close to) keyboard to start.

In fact I think I might get one of those M-Audios.

BeardFaceMan

Those M-Audios look just the job. I just want to learn the basics, I have no desire to learn proper piano or anything, I'll probably just end up picking out melodies or basslines on it.